Author Topic: I took my .223 ultra to the range again  (Read 625 times)

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I took my .223 ultra to the range again
« on: June 12, 2005, 05:29:20 AM »
Well I took my .223 out yesterday and it did very good :grin: . Once a while back I free floated with the O ring and it didn't do as well when I didn't have the O ring. With out the O ring I always I got sub MOA groups and I was pretty happy. I should of just left it alone right? Yeah but I didn't. I  just like to see if I can always get a little more out it. I been thinking about glass bedding the fore end for free floating. So after reloading friday night I got thinking ( didn't someone on this forum use a business card for free floating or thin card board?) Well I took some post card and cut it to fit the fore end channel. I doubled it up and press it and glued it together so it wouldn't open. By the way this is not what I plan on leaving in my fore end it just for experimenting purposes. I made one for behind the barrel stud and stoped about an inch from the rear of the fore end. I made a 1 inch piece to go in front of the barrel stud. My ultra did seem to close a little stiffer but felt good. I went to the range my first shot was 1/2 inch high and the other two were touching. my 2nd and 3 rd three shot groups were .4 and .5... I was shaking my head and smiling saying alright! Just for the heck of it I shot a 3 shot group at the 25 yrd range and they were all pretty much in the same hole (pretty close anyway)

Now I am Debating weather to glass bed or what kind of material i should use. Any suggestions or am I trying to squeeze to much out of my ultra?
But gosh it sure is fun.  :-D

Thanks- Norse

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 07:06:36 AM »
I'm glad my business card trick worked for you. Mine still has the cards sticking out of the forend but I'll trim them one of these days.You might try a bipod now and see if that helps even more.( really helped mine)  digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 10:59:11 AM »
Can a rifle be too accurate?  I think not.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 11:02:34 AM »
Hi Ditchdigger :D

thanks it dose work.

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:32:37 PM »
Norseman,

This is sounding a lot like the trouble I had with my 243, without the forend on is there any movement or rattle in the gun.  I can't remember if you had used feeler gauge to check how tight your lock up was.  If I remember correctly you should be able to close on but not pull out a .002" feeler, maybe .003" but that would be outside.

I used plasti-gauge and measured a .006" gap. it took a strip of .0045 feeler gauge in the hinge slot to take up the slack.  I go the groups down to 1.25-1.5 (not bad for what I was getting and the heavy trigger) , But I sold it off to finance another gun.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 05:43:03 AM »
aulrich,

My rifle shoots good, its just when I put the free float in it felt tighter to close it, but felt good. I will get some feeler guages though and check it out. Thanks for the info.

Norse

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 05:04:50 PM »
I have used the little card trick as well. When it works I just put some sealer in the card so the moister can't cause it to seprate . A little clear sealer will protect it. I used to use that trick to place pressure points on mostly Remington stocks.
shot placement is everything.