Author Topic: Handi Support / Range Report/Chapter 2  (Read 498 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Handi Support / Range Report/Chapter 2
« on: June 14, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »
I finally tried firing my .233 Handi supporting it between the hinge pin and the trigger guard.( I used a small folded sand bag for the front and a 'standard' rear sand bag).

Most vertical stringing that I had been experiencing prior to today disappeared. I employed left hand stabilization of the fore-stock so I did get some significant horizontal stringing as I probably was doing some steering. There was also significant gusting that I tried to work around. But all in all it was a very successful shoot with max group size of 2.5 inches (all Horizontal). My best group was inch and a half. ( all groups were 3 shots at 100 yards).

Since horizontal stringing/spread is mostly caused by the shooter all I have to do is improve my setup a bit and practice.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Greetings from Canada / Chapter2 (Jun 17/05)

I continued to experience sporadic and unexplainable vertical stringing with my reloads that just would not go away. Out of frustration I tried a box of Winchester White box (45gr.). Group size shrunk to 1-1/4 inch or less with nice roundish groups and quite consistent POI. After a month of trying to get this little rifle to shoot I'm elated that it does in fact shoot. The Winchester ammo is good stuff!!!!  With PROPER reloads my Handi should be subMOA. Without getting into the embarrassing details I figured out what is wrong with my reloads that was adding to the remaining vertical dispersion. You're never to old to learn or relearn. (Alright then, the reloaded rounds had some cases with primer pockets that were too deep resulting in 4 misfires and several rounds' ignition adversely affected)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Handi Support / Range Report
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 04:16:25 PM »
Quote from: McLernon
( all groups were 3 shots at 1000 yards).

Geez, 1000yds, that's fantastic!!!! :roll:.....  Glad it worked out for ya!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 04:57:51 PM »
I can't even walk that far let alone see or shoot that far. :)
shot placement is everything.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
1000 yards???????
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 02:39:32 AM »
Shucks,I get tired driving the Jeep that far.Not to mention the cost of gas.
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 06:16:36 PM »
so is vertical stringing from a rest on the fore-end or what cause my last shootin session left me confused i had wide vert "groups" and last time i had a nice 1.012"@100yrd groups (may have had a better but i was shooting at the edge of the paper.)
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now