Author Topic: 45-70 Questions from a new guy  (Read 895 times)

Offline Tug Hill Drifter

• Trade Count: (0)
45-70 Questions from a new guy
« on: June 09, 2005, 02:54:29 PM »
Hello,
I got my first H&R rifle and am looking for some guidance.  I got a used 45-70 Shikari.  It's in very nice shape. I'm planning on using it for 100-150 yd. side matches at my local CAS matchs. I hadn't noticed that the stock was drilled for sling swivels when I bought it.  I'm not sure that there is a "period correct" sling for this rifle, but I'm thinking about a military style sling like the ones on a 30-40 Krag.  Any better ideas?  I just noticed that the tang area has 2 screw holes drilled.  I think it was for a direct attatch tang sight.  I've heard references of using a false tang and inletting and bedding it into the stock.  Is anyone familiar with this?  Do I have to make the tang from scratch or does someone offer a finished or semi-finished piece?  Last question, the way I read the N.E.F. website, I can't buy a 38-55 barrel 'cause my rifle was made too long ago.  Did I read it right?  Thanks very much for your time.

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 04:26:42 PM »
Tug:
First, welcome. Will try to answer some of your questions:
1) Correct, H&R will not fit any barrels to your Shikari. It was made when all H&R rifles and shotguns were manufactured with cast(?) receivers, and are too weak for modern chamberings. In fact, they are of the "Springfield" strength, or level one. But that being said, they are great little rifles. I have two Shikaris, one original and one that has been "sporterized". (Barrel cut 20 inches and drilled/tapped.) And even level one loads are good whitetail loads.
2) If I was trying for a "period" sling, I think I would go with the leather thong attached to barrel just ahead of the forearm and the buttstock wrist. That is the period slings for the BP rifles, and the early 45-70 could of shared the same. If you wanted to use the sling studs, I'd still use leather thongs.
There are several regular posters that can explain tang sight options. I'm sure they will jump in. Also, if you do a search on tang sights, you'll gets all kinds of information.

Again, welcome.  Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Tug Hill Drifter

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 03:30:44 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I need to find out more about level 1 loads.  I'll continue searching.  I appreciate you taking time to answer.
THD

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 03:52:15 PM »
THD, to make your search easier, Level 1 = Trapdoor, Level 2 = modern lever guns and Level 3 = Modern bolt guns and Ruger #1 and #3. Current production of Handi/Ultras fall in the upper Level 2 class.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 07:43:08 AM »
Actually, it is more complicated that just three levels.  Factory loads are in the 18,000 CUP pressure range, as are several Level I loading manuals, yet the SAMMI spec is 28,000 CUP and some manuals use this for Level I loads.  Level II loads vary with the particular manual too, some using 28,000 CUP and some using even higher pressures.  Then for Level III loads, some manuals use 40,000 CUP as the maximum while others use up to 50,000 CUP as the maximum.  After over 130 years the .45-70 is still not so well understood.   :roll:

Keep the Shikari loads under 27,000CUP and you'll be fine.  I've had mine for 32 years, used only loads in the 20,000 CUP class, harvested a few deer and a black bear, and the rifle is still tight and accurate.  A 300-grain HP at 1850 fps is plenty for any deer, and a 405 FN at 1700 fps is plenty for almost anything else - all at 20,000 CUP or less.  The latter load is not very pleasant to shoot in the little Shikari...   :twisted:

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
How about a pic
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 02:31:55 PM »
I keep reading about this rifels. Any body got a pic of one they can post. Fuzzy :D
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 03:49:34 PM »
This is the Shikari as produced by H&R. They were chambered for 45-70 and 44 Mag. A few Combos were sold, this one is 45-70/12 gauge. The brass rod under the barrel is a cleaning rod. I think they were going for the black powder look.

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 03:56:24 PM »
This is my Shikari 45-70 "Carbine". Barrel @ 20", cleaning rod removed, recoil pad and scope added. Even with factory or mild handloads, it is fun to shoot and will penetrate a whitetail. (Too easilly!!)

Wally

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 04:18:10 PM »
Here is a rather poor photo - my digital camera is down or I'd post one of mine.
http://www.zebsauctions.com/images/09_29_02/sept29_52.jpg

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2005, 02:05:47 PM »
The Shikari is the same action as the h&r Huntsman muzzle loader of the early years.  Don't know anythging about the limniting factors of the cast actions, but the lock-up was inclined to shoot loose very easily in the ml guns (mine did).  If I owned one, I'd not load it over about 10,000 to 12,000 cup.  45-70 BP loads with goex fg should keep you in that territory.

I don't think you should expect it to blow with the hotter loads but it will begin to loosen up in the lock up.

Offline mt3030

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 03:31:08 PM »
Over time,that might prove to be right. If it does, I'll get a sb2 in 45-70, and just put my old wood on it. I love the old style look (straight pistol grip and barrel band) of the Shikari. The original is just a wall hanger and my sb2 with the 26" barrel will be completed soon for a serious hunter.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007