Author Topic: Help Needed on Where to Start Casting  (Read 836 times)

Offline jakes10mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Help Needed on Where to Start Casting
« on: May 05, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »
I am interested in trying my hand at Casting my own bullets for my 45 Colt hunting revolver.  Any recommendations on where to start giving an understanding of casting methods/techniques?  Is there any significant danger in working with lead?   Any and all help will be appreciated....books to get and read, starting equipment (on a budget), sources of lead (wheel weights and beyond), etc, etc....

Thanks

Offline JPH45

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 04:39:40 PM »
Get the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and begin reading. Read here and every other shooting/reloading forum with cast bullet section. Most especially read at www.castbullets.gunloads.com.

Don't be in a hurry to invest in equipment untill you have spent a month or so reading and following on what is working for other people here in the 'net. I've learned more about casting in 2 years on the boards than in 20 floundering around reading the gun rags and my own trial and error.

The 45 Colt is a good one to start with. You can load soft stuff that will allow you to learn casting basics without battering your wrists, and you can load stuff that will bring home the bacon.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jgalar

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 06:12:07 PM »
I agree with the above post but must add - find a source for lead and start collecting it.  All the casting equipment in the world won't help a bit if you can't find a cheap source of lead.

Offline John Boy

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 04:32:39 PM »
Regards
John Boy

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:23:19 PM »
Thanks for the link some good info there even for those of us who have been casting for a while. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline sundogg1911

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 08:25:16 AM »
my advise would be; after reading up on bullet casting, and speaking to others that cast, (This forum is the perfect place for that) invest slowly. I've picked up a lot of used but like new casting equipment from people that have jumped in with both feet, only to discover that casting is not for them. ebay is a pretty good source for some nice used equipment if you know what to look for. I started out with a Lee 45 ACP round nose mould and a used Lyman Luber/sizer, only after making sure I would stick with it, did I purchase other more expensive molds, and better grade of equipment. im up to about 20 moulds, and tons of other equipment, and i've been casting for about 5 years now. Casting is one of those tedious hobbies that you really have to love.

Offline jakes10mm

• Avid Poster
Mountainmolds.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 06:57:00 PM »
Found this websitte surfing around.  Has anyone ordered a mold from them?  Looks pretty interesting.  I was playing with the bullet design progam on the site and making some interesting features on a bulet.  If I find casting enjoyable and worthwhile, I may have to invest in one of their molds.

Thanks for the other recommendations.  My main motivation is around my hunting bullet for the 45 Colt.  I want to go heavier (325-360gr range) and having a hard time justifying the very expensive "specialty" bullets.

I picked up some Linotype from a local dealer.  A customer who considered casting dropped it of after he decided otherwise.  Total price for approximately 20lbs...$0.00.  The dealer just wanted it off his floor.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 06:18:03 AM »
Jake, Mountain Molds has an excellent reputation, but I would suggest a good bit of experience with stock designs before attempting to design your own. There are a lot of places to go wrong.

I've been involved in a few bullet design projects and the input of others is invaluable. Were I planning the purchase of a custom design, I would post the tentative design here and on the Cast Boolits site, and allow a few days for comment before I placed the order.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline sharps4590

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 09:19:52 AM »
You got a lot of good, correct advice.  I thought sundogs was most appropriate in that you really have to want to cast your own bullets.  A person can spend a lot of time in front of a lead furnace and all that will be shown for the effort is bullets.........but I think that's a muy grande' thing!!!!

You might also look at Hoch and NEI custom molds, once you get to that level.  I own a couple of each and have nothing but praise for either company.

You asked about any significant dangers from casting.  I don't believe there are any as long as reasonable ventilation is provided for and common sense used.  You can get a wide array of opinions on this topic and most are exactly that, opinions, mine included.  All I know is that I've been casting bullets, ingots, sinkers and handling lead  for close to 40 years and there isn't anything wrong with me.  I wouldn't recommend handling lead for hours then eating a sandwich, chips and pickles without washing your hands first, but that sounds like good ol' common sense to me.

Casting is a great hobby in and of itself.  You'll be surprised at how much you'll learn over the years.  I hope you enjoy it.

Vic
NRA Patron, 2006
NRA Endowment, 1996
NRA Life, 1988
NAHC Life, 1985
There is no right way to do a wrong thing