Author Topic: .17/30 carbine  (Read 908 times)

Offline RamSlammer

• Trade Count: (0)
.17/30 carbine
« on: June 24, 2005, 07:43:20 PM »
G/Day All
           Many years ago I read a article on different .17s, in this article they mentioned a 17 on a 30carbine case. To the best of my recolection it was called the .17 pee wee but all info I can find on the pee wee doesn't match the carbine case dimensions. The .17/30 carbine would be a great little round, the rim size is similar to a hornet so maybe would feed in a hornet action,has more case capacity than a hornet and there is always lots of parent cases about. If anyone has heard of this round a bit of info would be appreciated.
                                    Thanks
                                    Ramslammer

Offline Charcoal

.17/30 carbine
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 12:19:45 PM »

Offline Lee S. Forsberg

• Avid Poster
Re: .17/30 carbine
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 03:13:22 AM »
Quote from: RamSlammer
G/Day All
           Many years ago I read a article on different .17s, in this article they mentioned a 17 on a 30carbine case. To the best of my recolection it was called the .17 pee wee but all info I can find on the pee wee doesn't match the carbine case dimensions. The .17/30 carbine would be a great little round, the rim size is similar to a hornet so maybe would feed in a hornet action,has more case capacity than a hornet and there is always lots of parent cases about. If anyone has heard of this round a bit of info would be appreciated.
                                    Thanks
                                    Ramslammer

Hi,
Can you get a copy of P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooter & Reloaders?
17/30 carbine(.17 Pee Wee) is on page 111 of the second volume. He lists a 20 gr. bullet at 3847 ft/sec and 25 gr. bullet at 3789 ft/sec.
I talked to Ackley about this cartridge some years ago, a very interesting conversation.
LSF/375