Author Topic: Effect on Ignition of Hammer Extension  (Read 391 times)

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Effect on Ignition of Hammer Extension
« on: June 22, 2005, 08:45:46 AM »
Has anyone had ignition trouble while using the hammer extension supplied with the rifle??? If so how did it affect accuracy???

Does it cause misfires or has anyone noticed bullet drop from lower velocity from poor ignition??

Offline olredhead

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 09:32:34 AM »
Hey Mac you might do a site search on the topic. I think I remember that Jeff223 pulls his extension off when he's shooting for those little tiny groups he wins the matchs with. For a common boob like me , makes no difference.
olredhead   :)    :)

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 10:07:20 AM »
Have one on my .243. The gun shop I bought from put it on there and never had a problem with it. I didn't put it on my .223 ultra though.

Norse

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 10:22:23 AM »
I didn't put the extension on my .223 or .17hmr because I mostly shoot them at the range for bragging rights.  I did put one on my .22wmr because I use it on the farm for coyotes.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Ignition Problems with Hammer Extension
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:57:04 AM »
Thanks for your responses.

I contacted NEF/HR by phone and talked to the manager regarding this issue. He was very pleasant and helpful. He said, as I understood him, that if the transfer bar is not all the way up when the hammer strikes it, then the bar will receive reduced impact from the hammer and so the firing pin will not receive the full whack either. This can cause a misfire but it apparently can also cause reduced primer performance that can in turn lead to lower muzzle velocity. Not pulling the trigger all the way back to keep the transfer bar up results in this. So anything that causes increased lock time can contribute to the problem, including a weak hammer spring and/or use of a hammer extension.

I think this is what I have been experiencing up until I removed the hammer extension today and shot less than an inch with Winchester White Box ammo.

McL