Author Topic: slow hammer time  (Read 358 times)

Offline jlgrizz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
slow hammer time
« on: June 23, 2005, 03:57:45 PM »
I have been a fan of this forum for some time but have been handi-less until know.....I traded today for a 308 survival rifle.  I made the  trade knowing it did not fire but I could not pass the deal up!  Iknow this is a smithing queston but I thought you guys could help.  My problem is when the trigger is pulled the hammer drops very slow like it is diry or it may have a weak spring.  The gun appears to be clean but I did not want to do anything to it until I asked yall first.

Offline Phoneman

• Avid Poster
slow hammer time
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 01:10:26 AM »
It is possible that the hammer spring is either broken.  (doubtfull) or the spring is no longer attached correctly inside the Gun. I just did a trigger job on my gun. and noticed that if the spring is on the wrong side of the lug It would cause what you are describing. but to get that way someone would have had to take the gun apart. There are two options. take the gun to a smith and have him check it out or do it yourself. If you do it yourself there is a sticky on how to fix a trigger pull at the top of one of these forums. That will show you how to take your gun apart. It also shows how to put it back together the correct way. if you are confident that you have all the right tools and patience this is the way to go. otherwise there are plenty of gunsmiths out there that could do it.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
slow hammer time
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 04:45:41 AM »
Welcome aboard to both of ya!!! :D  Phoneman is probably correct...while you're in there, you might as well do a trigger job, just read both sets of instructions for a good idea of what to expect in there and go for it!

Tim :wink:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=52341

http://www.perkloafm.com/
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jlgrizz

• GBO Supporter
slow hammer time
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 11:47:14 AM »
sorry it took so long to get back I got home and took the stock off and sprayed the trigger works with wd-40 (all I had).  put it back together and trigger speed dropped a hot load in and she went off.  I thank that fixed it . thanks for the help, I will be doing a trigger job on it when I get time.  Not having to spend any money on the 308 made the trade even better

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
slow hammer time
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »
jlgrizz

:D  Welcome and glad your 308 trigger is working. I hope you give us a range report.

Norse