Author Topic: FL or necksize on NEF  (Read 307 times)

Offline Zeak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
FL or necksize on NEF
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:02:41 PM »
I am wonding what is the best way to go on the NEF to get the best accuracy? With the long thoats I would say neck only but haven"t tried it yet,have been FL sizing. I have some boltactions that I neck only and accuracy improves on them. I have been setting my dies to full lenght, and when I neck only I put a .040 thick washer under the die. Is this anough thickness or should I go with a thicker washer. I just hate reajusting dies. For hunting loads I always FL, just so I don't have problem with a round not fitting the chamber.  Zeak

Offline Varminter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
FL or necksize on NEF
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
I've been loading for my dad's m70 270 for a while now and i only neck size. If i were you i would just neck size them.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
FL or necksize on NEF
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 03:22:21 PM »
Well...I say use which ever gives you the best accuracy...each can work rather well in our Handi's....I use both and have equal good luck with both.....and it will depend on how much your FL die sizes them down and your chamber dimensions...if the chamber on your rifle is on the loose side...Neck sizing might work well...if on the tight size...FL might do ak too...try both ways and keep adjusting till you get it where you want it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Norseman112

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
FL or necksize on NEF
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 03:29:13 PM »
I neck size and I prefer it to FL. I don't have the need to trim brass as often. Besides once you fire a round off in your rifle that brass is fit to your chamber.  I do full size for a 760 Rem game master pump I inherited. lately I have been getting neck sizing dies for the rest of my calibers.

Norse.