Author Topic: best deal on a 445 supermag reamer  (Read 1029 times)

Offline jeff223

• Trade Count: (0)
best deal on a 445 supermag reamer
« on: June 21, 2005, 04:39:54 PM »
i think there is enough interest in a 44mag to 445 rechamber.so my question is??where can i or we get the best deal on a 445sm reamer?

ideas please and thankyou

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 01:51:53 AM »
Looks like Midway doesn't have it.

Looks like Dave Manson doesn't stock it, but I'm sure he would make one for a price.
http://www.mansonreamers.com/Pricelist.htm

Elk Ridge has it, but I don't know how much the purchase price would be. A 3 day rental is $26 for one chamber, plus $7 for extra chambers. Their reamers are likely to be cobalt instead of high speed steel.
http://www.reamerrentals.com/38_caliber_&_up.htm

Offline .308

• Contributor
Reamer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 02:25:06 AM »
Jeff,
I copied this from an email from Leftoverdj:

Clymer is the best known of the reamer makers. Check Brownell's. They don't make reamers, but they carry several brands. I'd want a chamber cast or spec drawings of the .445 to make sure, but I'd bet the job can be done with a stock .444 Marlin reamer run in short.

Hope this is of some help.

Thanks again DJ.

Lamar

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 05:27:46 AM »
4-D products will rent you one:

http://4-dproducts.com/chamber_reamers.html
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 06:49:47 AM »
A 444 reamer will not work. If you look at the specs the 444 has a bigger diameter. This is why you can't shoot the 44 mags and 44 spc in a 444 marlin chamber. You will need an actuall 445 sm reamer.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 05:27:03 PM »
Quote from: Varminter
A 444 reamer will not work. If you look at the specs the 444 has a bigger diameter. This is why you can't shoot the 44 mags and 44 spc in a 444 marlin chamber. You will need an actuall 445 sm reamer.

You can't shoot .44 mags and .44 Spec in a .444 Marlin chamber because the .444 Marlin has .015 taper and the chamber is too large at the rear. If you only have to run the reamer in halfway, you only have .007 taper and you are back within tolerances.

I don't have the specs on the .445. If someone does have them, especially the chamber specs rather than the more common cartridge specs, I'd like to see them.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 01:00:07 AM »
leftoverdj is right.the 445 and the 444 are not the same specs.just running the 444reamer in short wont work.in the Tc loading manual it shows both rounds.if you have a 444 reamer you might aswell just rechamber to 444.

now i must decide if i want to rent a reamer or flat out buy one and share the expences with all of you wanting to rechamber your 44mag handi rifles.all this thinking :mrgreen:

Offline .308

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2005, 03:57:44 AM »
My apologies DJ.  :oops: If I knew where to get the info you need I'd get it for you, and we'd see if your idea is a possibility. So far I've used two of your reamers and both have worked out great for me.

Offline Leftoverdj

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2005, 05:12:52 AM »
I've had a better notion. Look for a  neck/throater .44 reamer. They are cheap and will do what you want.  Can't lay hands on my catalogs at the moment, but one should be $40-$50. You'll also need to cobble up a case .010 longer than max to use as a go gauge. When the chamber will accept that, it's time to stop.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 11:41:28 AM »
jeff'

if you really want to wake up a .44 mag' Handi' with a good dose of power, why not try the 44/454 JDJ Woodswalker.....if the chamber will 'clean up'.    SSK' advertises that they will help you 'wildcat' a firearm, so to speak.  

As you might guess, J.D. Jones has taken a .454 Casull case and necked it down to a .44 mag' caliber producing 2100 fps with a 300 gr' Nosler out of a 15" barrel -- per "Cartridges of the World".   It'll give you 2300 fps with a 240 gr' XTP' out of that barrel.    It'll give you a little more out of a Handi', I would believe.    

That's quite a step up, and the brass is more readily available than the .445 Super Mag' -- I believe.

The reamers, and dies should be available via:  www.sskindustries.com/contact.htm.    

What do you think?

SS'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »
SS,
thats a good idea but i must stay with a straight walled case here in Michigan where i live if i want to hunt deer with the gun.i live in the shotgun zone and only straight walled case pistols can be used.
thanks,
jeff

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2005, 06:07:26 AM »
Jeff have you found a reamer yet? i know of one place but you have to rent it. But its already been mentioned 4-d Products

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 06:20:38 AM »
Just my take on renting and reaming.....I'd opt for a floating pilot reamer from Elk Ridge, they offer pilots of different sizes to accomodate different bore diameters, which we all know is a notorious issue with Handi bores, particularly with the 44mag. I would expect to get a perfect chamber with a pilot that fit the bore well.

http://www.reamerrentals.com/chamber_reamers.htm

Key Benefits
 Rent for 1/4 the cost of purchasing.

All reamers microscopically inspected and sharpened between each rental.

Get the correct pilot size for your barrel. Two pilots now included at no cost.

Go and No Go gages available for a small additional charge of $5.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 12:05:35 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
SS,
.i live in the shotgun zone and only straight walled case pistols can be used.
thanks,
jeff

jeff'

didn't know that rule was part of the equation.   we've had a similar rule here in ohio in the past, but ohio's reg's are loosening up slowly.    

i guess that leaves the .445 supermag a frontrunner.....which isn't the worst alternative anyway.    you still pick up a good measure of power.

good luck,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 04:16:09 PM »
Quote from: safetysheriff
ohio's reg's are loosening up slowly.    

quicker then you think did you know if we can get just a few more vote from the higher up guys that the year after next we can use a shoulder fired rifle in a pistol cartridge.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2005, 08:53:11 AM »
Allright you guys,I worked up some loads last March for the 445 s.m. and they chrono'd 2126 for the 240's. I put another scope on yesterday and shot it again for the first time since the weather warmed up. The recoil has jumped up some since the cool weather,and its nearly 45 70 with the factory Win. 300's now. It must be 2200 fps by now because its makeing it self known when you pull the trigger. Its also alot more accurate than it was.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2005, 09:11:32 AM »
Quote from: jeff223
SS,
thats a good idea but i must stay with a straight walled case here in Michigan where i live if i want to hunt deer with the gun.i live in the shotgun zone and only straight walled case pistols can be used.
thanks,
jeff

Jeff, I'm not clear on your meaning here. Do you intend to convince DNR that your Handi is a pistol? (maybe cut it down to 29" and register it as a handgun)

Or do you think rifles are OK if they shoot straight walled pistol ammo?

Offline jeff223

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 11:21:23 AM »
:eek: CONTENDER :eek:

i just posted the reamer thing here because there are more 44mag shooters on the NEF forum than any other :wink:

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 02:15:58 PM »
Quote from: mitchell
Quote from: safetysheriff
ohio's reg's are loosening up slowly.    

quicker then you think did you know if we can get just a few more vote from the higher up guys that the year after next we can use a shoulder fired rifle in a pistol cartridge.

mitchell'

it makes sense to me that if we can use muzzle loaders with their new-found, higher velocities in some models that we ought to be able to use rifles or carbines in pistol cartridges.

i'm ready, if i get that marlin back from the landowner i've loaned it to.   i'll then loan him a revolver for a while.

good news, aint it?

take care,

ss'

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »
its great news now cross your fingers and hope it passes
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while