Author Topic: Best chance of an exellent barrel...  (Read 696 times)

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
Best chance of an exellent barrel...
« on: June 26, 2005, 04:25:43 AM »
I notice that NEF is offering a 30-06 stainless barrel. I wonder what the chances are of these being better barrels as far as tolerances of the bore/groove/rifling height goes than their standard blue barrels go???? I'm looking for a good barrel to shoot cast from. I'm either going to get ne of these barrels or a Swiss K31. What do ya'll think????
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline kufford

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 06:32:31 AM »
lol...

They must have very tight tolerances, as my SS 06' Handi wouldn't even close on a loaded chamber! So it got a return ticket to MA.

It should be back soon, though...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 06:41:20 AM »
Kufford, makes ya wonder how in the world they test fired it!!!! Obviously they don't!!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 06:56:41 AM »
When I was living in Anchorage (1979-1982) a group of us decided to see what we could do with 30 caliber cast loads. We had a mix of Remington 788s, Savage 340s and H&R Toppers, all in 30-30 Winchester. The 30-30s all proved very accurate and provided all the velocity we needed. But, if I was setting up another .30 cast rifle, I'd start with a 30-30, and have it rechambered to 30-40 Krag. The rechambering would remove any long throat issues the Handi might have, the case is rimmed, tapered for easy extraction, easy to get, has the long neck (which is ideal for cast loading) and should provide all the volume to drive the cast bullets as fast as you would want. The only down side is the micro-groove rifling, but some have stated that is not much of a factor. If one could find one of the older H&R (pre-micro) rifle/barrel, so much the better. Just my thoughts.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline jeff223

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 11:03:50 AM »
John i think its just luck of the draw when you get a barrel.NEF has fallen some with their barrels.i think its sad when their ULTRASLUG shotguns out shoot alot of their rifles.i can vouch for that.i guess it isnt sad because i have one that will :wink:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 11:25:09 AM »
It all falls back to their quality control or lack of it....Kufford's NIB rifle that wouldn't chamber a factory round, obviously was never test fired. I just noticed that my 25-06 barrel that I had converted to 338-06 isn't engraved with the last 3 digits of the serial number of the frame, another missed step by H&R.... :eek:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JPH45

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »
Yeah, all this is waht I'm afraid of. I can get a K31 for the cost of the stainless 30-06 barrel, and I've no doubt the K31 will shoot at least as well as any Handi I've ever had, and they have a good reputation with cast shooters as well.

I had a 30-30 barrel, passed it on. Present owner seems quite pleased with it, I wasn't. Thing had a 310 groove diameter and 307 bore.

While I'm pleased with my 38-55, 44 and 357, my experience with the 30-30 and 45-70 leaves me at 60% good, that's not good enough. Odds are no beter than 50/50 I'll see a good barrel from NEF. I can spend less money on a milsurp and have at least as good odds of bringing home a shooter.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 06:23:21 PM »
I can't vouch for the stainless 30-06 barrels...but I've had 2 of the 30-06 blued Ultra-Comps that are outstanding shooters...and if you don't like the muzzle brake...it does unscrew...and a solid thread  cover could be made to fit on it...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 01:49:18 AM »
hi guys i know wot you mean about quality control. i love my buff classic but  
my45/70 shikari  fit and finish around the barrel lug is far better. plus the hammer is  much better  it sits much lower
bernie :(
if its feral its in peril

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Excellent barrel
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 10:13:54 AM »
I have decided to not buy any more barrels from NEF.  If a .338-06 chambering becomes available, I'll make an exception.  There is no excuse for such poor quality control.  I DO like the feel of a Handi-rifle.  It's well named.  I would need to conduct a serious inspection before buying another barrel or rifle.  I can only do this by buying from an individual.  I don't want to change brands.  HR/NEF should realize there are other makers of reasonable priced rifles out there.  Also, I'm getting too old to do as much shooting as I once did but, I don't want to give it up.  I sure hope Mrs. Lynch can get them on the right track.

Tom