Author Topic: 1st shooting impressions of 45-70  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
1st shooting impressions of 45-70
« on: June 18, 2005, 08:36:05 AM »
I finally got to put 3 rounds through my 22"45-70 barrel the other day. I only had time for 3 rounds off hand at 50 yards. I was shooting PMC 405gr at 1250fps (according to the box).The recoil was not bad at all.All 3 shots hit the hit the 44oz plastic cup with iron sights. I'm new to this calibre and was expecting much more recoil. Can't wait to shoot it more and start reloading for it.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 09:49:25 AM »
I'm new to this calibre and was expecting much more recoil

Most all of the Springfield loads have very little recoil, and the PMC load is no exception.  I would compare it to heavy field loads out of a 12ga, but its definitely not as bad as buckshot.  Now, if you go ahead and get a load with that same 405gr bulllet at around 18-1900fps, then you'll have all the recoil you could want.
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:18:54 AM »
if yur just lookin for target loads , look up cowboy loadings in most powder manuals now adays , they usually have a few light target loads to play with ,

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 04:57:57 PM »
The recoild seemed a lot less than any of the 12ga loads I shoot and a heck of a lot less than my trackerII.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 02:37:18 AM »
Crank'em up to some heavy marlin loads and you'll sing a diffrent tune. But its a fun cartridge to shoot. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline coltnavy36

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 08:20:43 PM »
True,
the hot loads(high end marlin type loads) I made up for my new barrel that came in were quite impressive.
They jolted me in this little gun-(speaking of weight)-a lot harder than I expected even with 300 grainers at 2150fps.
I'm not gonna list the load-but it's nice.
It would work fine in a double like the kodiak, but for this small-light gun, it is a kicker.
I can handle it, but I would not give it to my girlfriend, if I had a girlfriend.
Warning-wear more than a tee-shirt with that kind of load.
I'm not new to big rifles, at all actually, having shot heavy doubles, and using a .375 for years, but for the weight of this gun, and the combination-its downright unpleasant for someone not expecting it.
Although once knowing whats coming-its better.
The light factory loads are about like 22's compared.
"They REALLY lived."
     ---Secondhand Lions---

Offline coltnavy36

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »
p.s.-the reason I feel is the stock fit-to my body-if were someone elses-it may be different.
But for $80 a barrel, who cares?
"They REALLY lived."
     ---Secondhand Lions---

Offline JBKERNS

That I not the first impression that I had.....
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 01:57:45 AM »
The first time I shot my .45-70 Handi was:

BLLLLoooommmmmm!

Wooooo Hooooo! Chortle, giggle, snort!  Yessssss! (Ching!, that stub cigar case flies in the air, reflecting the sunlight)  Give me another shell, son!

I shoot the bulk Rem 300 JHP over 50 grains of IMR3031.

You know, after my first 75 rounds now, that is still my reaction.

Enjoy, Jeff

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 02:39:22 AM »
No need to go to heavy loads for any reasonable deer or other hunting situations with the fine 45-70 round. The PMC load Markus spoke of will put ANY whitetail down for good!!! Avoid "Magnumitis" unless you need it, for Rhino, Elephant, Water Buffalo, fine, a 150-200 pound deer does not need it, better to place the shot well with less recoil and noise than to miss your aiming point because of flinching from anticipated recoil and try to scare the deer to death from the noise and muzzle flash!!!....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline richz14

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 07:41:12 PM »
I just bought a Handi Rifle in .45-70 with the 22'' inch barrel. First couple of trips to the range, I found that the action would sometimes pop open on its own after the shot. This happened with the heavier PMC factory loads (350 gr. Hornady bullets), so I took it as a sign of too much pressure. But then it also happened with the lighter PMC cowboy action loads (405 gr. lead). Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and whether I should consider it a problem (I was planning to open the action after the shot anyways).

I also found that I had to move the rear sight elevation slightly above the highest hashmarks on the sight base, just to get it zeroed at 100 yds.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2005, 07:59:29 PM »
Welcome aboard!! :D  All Handi rifles should be cleaned real well, inside and out and to include the latch shelf on the barrel under the chamber opening. If it isn't latching completely, it can pop open, when new it will require you to snap it shut briskly for good consistent lockup and accurate shooting. You can also smooth the latch with a little light honing with a stone to polish the latch engagement surface on the barrel.

As far as the rear sight, my BC was just the opposite, with the rear WGRS sight all the way to the top, it still shot 8" low at 50yds, so it's not surprising that the Williams WGOS sight is not a good match with the front sight, either. An alternative that will probably work better due to the height would be the Williams WGRS peep sight in conjunction with the factory front sight, since the WGRS mounts on top of the  chamber which gives a little elevation benefit from the getgo.

Hope this helps,

Tim

WGRS and Firesight combo....

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline richz14

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 08:08:05 PM »
A fine looking weapon you have! And thanks for the useful info. Do I assume correctly that the Williams peep sight (which I believe comes with the Buffalo Classic version), will mount onto the factory-drilled scope-mounting holes on my SB2?

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 08:13:55 PM »
richz14:

Welcome to the forum.

That is commonly known as inadaquate lock-up, just one of the common issues you might have to fuss with. Quicks suggestions are good. I hope that takes care of your problem, but be prepared to have to return it to H&R for repairs.

Wally
Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 08:15:39 PM »
Thanks!  :wink: Yes, it mounts in the 2 rear holes. It's available from Midway...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=698217

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain