Author Topic: 30 Benchrest  (Read 477 times)

Offline jeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
30 Benchrest
« on: July 19, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »
Does anyone reload for the 30 Benchrest using cast bullets?  Looking for some suggestions, barrel is 1-17 twist.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
30 Benchrest
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 05:27:25 PM »
Hi Jeff, sounds like you've got a score rifle there? Most folks who are using the 30 BR in cast bullet matches are using a much faster twist to shoot 190-200 grain bullets. With your setup I'd be looking at the gaschecked version of Lyman's 311008, (don't remember it's number but it's the same bullet with a gascheck, around 115gr.) or the Lee 115 flatnose and the 120 roundnose. RCBS may make something similar, but I've never used one of theirs. Pretty much anything that would work in the 32-20 or 30 carbine is what you want. At least water quench them, and for more speed they'll need to be heat treated. Run them at 2000 - 2500 depending on your barrel, lube, heat treating ability, etc. The normal 30 BR powders will work fine, i.e. VV N133, Benchmark, etc. Done right you should have one fine shootin' machine!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jeff

• Avid Poster
30 Benchrest
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 03:15:42 AM »
Nobade

You are correct on the rifle, I've been waiting almost six months for it to be completed. Hope to have it in my hands within a week.

Some friends have been talking about informal cast competition and I was just thinking that perhaps I might want to try some cast competition too.

jeff

Offline felix

• http://www.castpics.net
30 Benchrest
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 06:19:00 AM »
I am very interested in this project to say the least!  Please keep the board posted with any kind of results, good and bad. ... felix
felix

Offline jeff

• Avid Poster
30 Benchrest
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 03:40:59 PM »
I certainly intend to do just that.  I noticed that my check for the 'services' has cleared the bank and I'm hoping that the rebuilt rifle will arrive next week.  

Many things are on my activity list.  House goes on the market on the 25th and we're working at getting ready to move.  Lots of coordinating activities in having  place built.  I need to receive rifle, dies and form brass, anneal & turn as well as do some range time if I can get away from the house.  Of course, everything must be kept extra tidy in case someone wants to see (snoop) the house.

Then there is the weather and whether the 'real boss' gets tired enough of seeing me around the house looking as miserable as possible.  I know from experience there will be a moment of pity, and then it's off to the club !!!