Author Topic: Ultra Slug Owners, Scope Type ?  (Read 843 times)

Offline Lost Okie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra Slug Owners, Scope Type ?
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:12:44 AM »
Just got a 20 ga Ultra Slug and am wondering what types of scopes are being used.  Have both rifle and shotgun scope available, leaning toward the 3-9 leopold

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 03:40:48 PM »
My 12 ga. and 20 ga. USH each have a Leupold 2x7x33 Shotgun Scope mounted on them.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline 3s3k

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 06:02:55 AM »
I have a Simmons 4X32 pro-diamond shot gun scope which works out fine for me since all shots are under 100yds for the most part,plus its compact 8.5" and has a quasi range finder which I find comes in handy!GL

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 01:59:34 PM »
Had a 3x9 x32 Tasco laying in the gun cabinet and tried it.  Range report.  Started of shooting Remington slugger 23/4 at 50 yrds, kept them inside a bushel basket.  Changed to Winchester, same results (these are rifled slugs)
Cleaned the barrel and changed to Remington copper solids (10.99 a box).  Guess its worth it, first three rounds made a small clover....Now to research the 3" mag shells at 100 yrds.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 03:19:11 AM »
Lost Okie...Do a search for the same topic in this forum...You would find a wealth of info already posted about USHs and the scopes that people have mounted on them.  I opted for a 1.75-4x32 Bushnell Trophy scope for my 12GA USH because I don't have many shots over 100 yards and I just didn't need the 9x magnification.  My fear was that I would leave my scope on 9x accidently when a big guy walked out up close I would not be able to find it in the scope...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline jeff223

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 01:10:36 AM »
i have a simmons aetec on my 20ga ultraslug and i like it alot.i just set up a 12ga tracker II barrel with the same scope that WNY_Whitetailer uses and that scope looks like its going to be a winner too.the Bushnell Trophy is very clear and very nice.i got it used from a member here at Graybeards

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 10:44:35 AM »
Jeff223, did you say you scoped a tracker .12?  My understanding was that there was not enough meat for the mounts on the barrel.  'cause a 1.75 - 5 power scope on the tracker sounds just like what I need.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »
BobW,this trackerII barrel is also mounted on a 10ga frame.i got this barrel from cookieman some time ago and it fit my 10ga frame.nef says only the 10ga and 12ga ultraslug barrels will work on the 10ga frames.this is not the case.

as far as a scope on a trackerII barrel??i have it scope mounted now.my smith did a special job on the barrel for me.he welded some pillers on the barrel the milled the scope base to match.then the pillers are drilled and tapped for the scope base.this is one strong setup with only the pillers drilled and tapped.

a picture of this setup will come very soon.keep a look out for it :D

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 07:43:37 AM »
Jeff,
Whos doing your work?  Is it someone local?  There are a couple jobs I would like done that I am not going to have time to do myself.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 11:09:10 AM »
Critter this gun smith lives not far from you.i would say hes about 10 to 12 mile from Muir on old 16.PM me if you want his name

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 02:43:24 PM »
Quote from: jeff223
Critter this gun smith lives not far from you.i would say hes about 10 to 12 mile from Muir on old 16.PM me if you want his name

jeff,

Where is old 16? Never heard of it, or did you mean old 96? I grew up 7 miles north of Muir and I can't recall a old 16, unless it's Grand River Drive or somethin' which is what I thought was old 96. You have me stumped on this one.  :?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jeff223

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2005, 12:14:10 AM »
Busta,
i call it old 16 but its also called Grand River :wink:

where do you live now?how long ago do you move away from there?i live in Ionia

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2005, 06:21:39 AM »
Jeff,

SE of Carson City. I moved away from there about 26 years ago when I went into the USAF but found my way back after I got out. :roll:   Man how time flies.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2005, 09:38:15 AM »
Man we got a pile of local boys in here.   :grin:

Jeff,
I know who your talking about now.  He used to do work for a sport shop I worked in for awhile.  Can't think of his name off the top of my head.  I'll send ya that PM anyway.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2005, 12:18:38 PM »
Busta,
you ever shoot at Fish Creek Sportsmans Club just south of Carson City and north of Hubbarston?im a member there.

Critter,
Dan does work for a couple of sport shops around the area.hes a good friend of mine.we go to gun shows and do some shooting together.he is a world class gun smith

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2005, 07:46:48 PM »
Jeff,

Yep, I only live 2-1/2 miles from FCSC. I let my membership run out and need to renew it so I can shoot out to 200 yds to get ready for my Muzzleloader Bull Elk Hunt in Colorado this Sept. Thanks for reminding me, I need to get ahold of Brian and renew. Been very busy for the last month, my son graduated from HS and my daughter has been taking Drivers Ed for the last three weeks. I should get a couple weeks off after the 4th and I will need to take advantage of those cool mornings for shootin'. I have a 100 yard range out behind the barn but that's it.

I am going to have to get that smiths name and # from you too, I have a special project that I need to get done.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »
Yes, Dan does great work.  I always enjoyed talking to him when he came in.
Just an FYI for the locals, Western Michigan Rifle and Pistol club has a 300 yard range for anybody looking for something that far.  I belong out there and have been happy so far.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2005, 04:46:17 PM »
Critter i live about 1.5 miles from Western Michigan Rifle and Pistol club.i once was a member there but now i am a member at Fish Creek Spotsmans Club.i would rather drive 20 miles to a range to shoot than 1.5 miles and put up with the BS that some of those guys dish out.i shot indoor archery there for a few years until the BS got to deep.you will find out about the BS sooner or later.look at the 300 club and you will see my name listed there.im the only Jeff there listed with a 300 score with a 47x count or something like that.archery is what i am talking about.

i guess its an OK club if you fit into the click. Fish Creek has no click and thats what i like about that club