Author Topic: Any Michigan Ultra Slug Hunters out there?  (Read 897 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Any Michigan Ultra Slug Hunters out there?
« on: May 04, 2005, 02:19:36 AM »
Anybody from Michigan shooting Ultra Slug Hunters?

Where abouts are you from?
Where abouts are you hunting?
What are you using, 12 ga. or 20 ga.?
What are you shooting out of it?
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 04:09:23 AM »
I don't own one but my brother does and I have used it.  I'm from Muir, I hunt on my Dads farm in Clarksville along with some hunting lease land that I have right next door.  It's a 12 guage from the first year they made them topped with a Simmons 4X Deerfield and we use Winchester high Impact Sabots in it.

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 04:24:49 AM »
Can't say I've heard of Muir or Clarksville.  What part of the state is it in?

I live about 30 miles N.E. of Detroit and hunt in Ubly which is up in the Thumb.

Me and my kid just picked up our USH's this past weekend.  Mine is a 12, his is a 20.  Anxious to get out to the range and sight them in.  Think we'll try the Lightfields, Barnes Expanders and Winchester Platinum Tips and see what they like the best.
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:30:37 AM »
well if you go down about 200 miles you'll find me in my woods every november with my ultra slug 12 that is fed remington corlokts. i've been up in Michigan a few times but i've never hunted there i sure would love to thou it looks like you guys have some nice places to hunt.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 11:27:39 AM »
i live just north of midland, and i have a slug hunter deluxe in 12 ga...i have a khales 4x on it and millet rings, and use winchester BRI slugs, i get just over 1 inch groups at 50 yards with it...i love mine...i can use rifles but i still chose the slug gun cuz she is one of my favorites...
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 12:30:51 PM »
We're between G.R. and Lansing.  Lots of farm country to hunt along with some fallow plots.  We run a QDM program in the area we hunt, at leat 4 points on one side for any buck.  been doing it for 6 year now and are finally taking some nice bucks.

Offline jeff223

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 07:52:17 AM »
critter i live about 7 or 8 miles from you in Ionia.

MI sabot i hunt north of critter "MUIR" also near palo in northern Ionia county and in southern Montcalm county

20ga ultraslug for me and i  have  good luck with the Fed Barnes Expander slugs

Offline Wild Bill 442

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 04:12:43 PM »
Ok, so I'm a Beverly Hillbilly (Beverly Hills is in the heart of the Oakland County suburbs of Detroit.)  Hunt up near Alcona/Harrisville along 23 south of Alpena, but thats rifle territory.  Most on my shotgunnin' goes on down in OH, near Marietta where I grew up.  

I just had a 20ga. Ultra Slug added to one of my frames.  I have this hang up over Remington Core-Lokt slugs.  I buy 'em, try 'em and end up using Buckhammers.  Or at least that was the path in my 870,   and so far the Core-lokts give about 3 to 4 inch groups @ 100yds in the Ultra Slug.  I'm banking a supply of Buckhammers and some Feds for the next outing with my Ultra Slug.

Offline Masterblaster1

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 02:36:30 PM »
Can't say i hunt with an ush, but i do shotgun hunt here in Northern Macomb county, bout 3 miles west of New Haven. I mostly hunt in rifle territory in the U.P. with my SB2, but do manage to get some shotgun hunting in during the first week of the season.  My slug gun is Mossberg 500 with a hastings barrel, and i shoot buckhammers. Anybpdy live near me maybe we can hook up for a hunt or something sometime.

Offline Wild Bill 442

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 10:14:23 AM »
Ok, so I got out for a second round at the range.  I tried several flavors of slugs and found a common factor in accuracy performance, velocity.  Slugs that push the high end, up around 1900 fps advertised, shot like..., well awful.  2-3 inches @ 50 yds.  Stuff that runs 1500 fps or so is much better, 0.75 - 1.5 @ 50 yds.  So as predicted, the Buckhammers were among the best.  Others that were around an inch at 50 included the Federal Premiums and the Lightfields.  

My USH has just around 100 rounds through it.  I don't know if I'll see performance move one way or the other as the shot count climbs.

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2005, 11:40:51 AM »
Several miles south of you(Indianapolis) but just got the 20 USH.  First trip to the range produced 1" 3 shots at 50 yrds with the Rem Copper solids.  Up untill this year I have been hunting with my .54 but found a good deal on the 20 USH at Gander Mountain and had read so much positive info on this site, just couldn't pass it up.  

Note:  For those of you in northern Michigan, would love to find a place to hunt with my SB2 06.  How are the public hunting areas ?  Any suggestions?

Offline mparks

• Mick's outdoor page
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2005, 01:55:12 AM »
I don't shoot an NEF but there are tons of guy that swear by them on the Michigan-Sportsman message board.

I shoot a Browning A-Bolt Gold slug gun and have found that it really likes the bigger lightfields and buckhammers and doesn't like the lighter slugs like the 385 gr. Win Partition gold.  My Marlin 512 was the opposite.

P.S. I'd never heard of Clarksville or Muir either. I hunt near Owendale which I'm sure no one has heard of either:)

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2005, 04:53:29 AM »
MPARKS:

Everyone knows where Owendale is........it's about 20 miles due west of Ubly!
CZ 452 American (22lr)