Author Topic: Best lead bullet for S&W Mountain Gun?  (Read 791 times)

Offline RKBAHolsters

• Trade Count: (0)
Best lead bullet for S&W Mountain Gun?
« on: February 01, 2003, 10:14:10 AM »
Looking for a lead SWC to load up in a .44 mag Mountain Gun.

I want something that will give adequate penetration on black bears and work on deer too.  Being a 4" light weight gun, I want something that won't be too hard on me.

What brinell hardness of bullet is necessary to ensure penetration?

Also, does anyone have favorite loads they use in their Mountain guns, or suggestions on starting points.

thanks,
Steve

Offline sjc1

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 11:29:39 AM »
Well, I have always liked the Lyman 429421 mold for the .44 magnum. It drops a bullet weighting from 240 grains to 250 grains depending on the alloy used. This bullet was originally designed by Elmer Keith for the .44. The bullet does not have a gas check, which I like not having. Over the years Lyman has changed the mold from one with square grease grooves to one with somewhat rounded grooves but the basic design is the same.
For my Model 29 I load this bullet over 22 grains of 2400. Now, this load is alright in my gun but I suggest you work up to it in your gun. I do not have a Mountain Gun but my 29 has a 5 1/2 inch barrel so my 29 will probably weight more than your Mountain Gun. The recoil is not that bad. When I take it to the range I will probably shoot 40 to 60 rounds each time with no discomfort.
For the alloy I use I have always used the Lyman #2 mix. I have only shot two whitetails with the .44 magnum load that I use and there were no problems. Both went down dead! Never had the chance to use it on blackbear. If I was going to use it on blackbear I would probably use a harder alloy or water quench the bullets cast from the Lyman #2 alloy.

Offline grendel

• http://www.shadowsfall.org
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 12:25:44 PM »
Quote from: sjc1
Well, I have always liked the Lyman 429421 mold for the .44 magnum. It drops a bullet weighting from 240 grains to 250 grains depending on the alloy used. ...................CUT...............
For my Model 29 I load this bullet over 22 grains of 2400. Now, this load is alright in my gun but I suggest you work up to it in your gun.

What Brass and which primer are you using?  I have a S&W Mountain Gun that came back from the Proformance Shop with a very nice trigger pull.  I just need to start working up a load for it
Grendel

Molon Labe

People who are willing to rely on the government
to keep them safe are pretty much standing on
Darwin''s mat, pounding on the door, screaming,
Take me, take me!

Carl Jacobs

Offline sjc1

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 12:36:15 PM »
I use the Winchester large pistol primer which is for standard or magnum loads. They are listed as no. WLP in Winchester literature. The brass is Winchester.