Author Topic: .17 hmr self defense?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
.17 hmr self defense?
« on: June 30, 2005, 12:38:50 PM »
I have seen a few versions of a 17 hmr snub revolver,  claiming to be a "deep concealment" gun.  Everything Ive read tells me a 22 lr is NOT a good choice for self defense, (although many a man has been killed by a 22 lr) and if its all a person could handle its better than nuttin', and bullet placement is everything, but 17 cal defense gun?  most of them are 17 grain polymer tipped bullets!  My question is are thease really worth the thought? how would they compare to a 22lr?

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 03:49:01 PM »
I would not want to be shot with one for sure. That being said my personal opinion is that it would make a very poor defensive round. Hopefully you won't get stabbed / shot to death after emptying your gun on the bad guy.  KN

Offline jgalar

.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 05:47:24 PM »
You'll be wishing you had a snubnosed 17HMR when you find yourself in the bad parts of Prairie Dog Town. :lol:

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005, 03:02:07 AM »
I wonder if something as light as a 17 gn bullet would not get caught up in heavy or even medium weight clothing and not penetrate.  I wouldn't wanna use myself as a test medium but I think a 17 gn pill would have less penetration than even a 22lr.  Just my thoughts.  Mikey.

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005, 03:29:03 AM »
Anybody done any testing on the .17 HMR out of a short barrel? Might be kind of interesting to see the results.
gino  :grin:

Offline Lawdog

.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005, 12:39:10 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
I wonder if something as light as a 17 gn bullet would not get caught up in heavy or even medium weight clothing and not penetrate.  I wouldn't wanna use myself as a test medium but I think a 17 gn pill would have less penetration than even a 22lr.  Just my thoughts.  Mikey.

I agree with you completely.  Sure a number of people have been killed with a .22 lr but mostly they are executed not shot in self defense.  Big difference between shooting someone and protecting yourself.  Chances are even the 20 gr. bullet for the .17 HMR won’t penetrate deep enough to get the job done.  Would you bet your life or the lives of your loved ones on such an inadequate cartridge?  With practice women/children can be taught to use adequate cartridge.  Get a bigger handgun.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Gallahad

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Contributor
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 05:30:37 PM »
Just for the record I don't need to GET A BIGGER GUN, I wasn't  ever considering purchasing one of thease things, Just thought it was a strange thing to make and advertise as a c.c. handgun.  

Sevral old timers have taken deer years back when times were tough, with a 22 lr, some over 200 lbs.   now its not my first choice for a defense gun but I woulden't sell it so short as to say its only capable of an execution style stop. Just a thought. :D [/b]

Offline NONYA

.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2005, 12:17:43 AM »
saw an xray one time of a guys skull who was shot 7 times in the head with a .22 semi-auto pistol,none of the bullets entered the skull they all mushroomed on the outside of the skull,pretty funny.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 05:02:24 AM »
NONYA:  I too have seen some strange things happen with bullets and both human and animal skulls.  Some bullets never penetrate, others amaze me.  I have seen 158 gn rn 38s from a snubby at contact range on a suicide attempt penetrate the skin but slide right around the skull and out the other side.  Seen similar happenings with animals.  I assisted two men in RVN who were shot right through the heart, one with a grease gun and the other with a 9mm, and I am certain stranger things have happened.

However, I have also seen one fatalities with the smallest of calibers.  The impact point of the bullet has a bunch to do with it too, but without getting into biological specifics and discussions on skull construction I would opine that 22lrs are absolutely minimal for personal defense which would kinda leave the 17s somewhere else.  JMHO.  Mikey.

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 11:44:07 AM »
I've found them to excellent defence against prairie dogs, the seedy lot they are. :-D  But I wouldn't think they'd be effective against someone with criminal intent. The .22 mag would be much better.
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek:

Offline Mannlicher

.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 03:10:25 PM »
I am surprised that a manufacturer would push this caliber for defense.  I suppose it would be better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 01:09:18 AM »
I carry several different guns for CCW, from 45ACP to 9mm. I also have a NAA 22MAG I carry 24/7 as my back up to my primary carry gun. I have taken a target set up with a t-shirt, shirt and jacket and shot at it at close range with the 22 MAG and the bullets went completely through all the garments, (both sides). I am sure the 17HMR with the pointed bullets and speed they have would do the same. If I only had that as my primary weapon, I would use it. Now in my opinion, it is and would not be my first choice. I know I would not want to be shot with it.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lawdog

.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 10:44:07 AM »
Quote from: Redhawk1
I carry several different guns for CCW, from 45ACP to 9mm. I also have a NAA 22MAG I carry 24/7 as my back up to my primary carry gun. I have taken a target set up with a t-shirt, shirt and jacket and shot at it at close range with the 22 MAG and the bullets went completely through all the garments, (both sides). I am sure the 17HMR with the pointed bullets and speed they have would do the same.  :D

After seeing what the .17 HMR does to animals the size of Ground Squirrels(literally explodes them) I wouldn't put money on them doing that to a man.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Savage

.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 11:47:11 AM »
Hummm---------seems to me that anyone who could afford a .17 HMR snubbie, could just as easily buy a 38 spl snubbie. This brings to question, why would anybody buy a .17/22 for self defense??????
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 12:24:08 PM »
Savage, I can put my NAA 22 MAG in my shorts pocket and not even feel the weight. You can't do that with most other small handguns. Some times the clothing you wear does not allow for much of a carry gun, that is why.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Nuttinbutchunks

• Contributor
.17 hmr self defense?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 01:02:17 PM »
The problem I expect with the .17 is penetration/expansion/energy. Those rounds are only 17 grains, 20 at the most and are designed to explode upon impact, and on a man size target woudn't penetrate very deep to cause enough trauma to drop an angry creatin. That's just what I think, but I know of no studies to support it. I'm sure some have been done though. :?
Ohhhh, I hate when that happens :eek: