Author Topic: new tasco10-40x50  (Read 937 times)

Offline two slow

• Trade Count: (0)
new tasco10-40x50
« on: July 01, 2005, 11:31:28 PM »
I just got one. I haven't tried it out yet though.
What is the sense in preserving collectible items just so they can be auctioned off by uncaring heirs for their pecuniary value ? I am inclined to believe that vintage cars are to be driven, old wine is to be drank, and fine guns are to be shot.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 05:33:17 AM »
I don't have the 10-40x50 but I do have the 6-24x44 same model with fine cross hairs and 1/8 dot.
I am not a fan of Tasco, yet I do own a couple. I mounted it on my H&R Ultra 223, and for the $80 I paid for it, I am not displeased. Usually don't go past 16 power as it starts to get very dark after that. I can't use 24 unless it's a very sunny day.
Better than most BSA's I have ever checked out though.
It's a completely functional and adequate for what I use it for.

Offline Lawdog

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 01:33:25 PM »
Tasco = J U N K

After being burnt by Tasco TWICE, never again.  Same goes for Tasco's parent company, Bushnell.  Got two of their scopes and both have the same problem rendering them basically unusable and Bushnell says there is nothing wrong with either.  Bushnell refused to replace them even though they were still new and under warrantee.  Tasco’s are JUNK and Bushnell aren’t much better.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Siskiyou

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 05:17:39 PM »
It is a rare day that I disagree with Lawdog, but I must today. I have 3 or 4 Bushnell Banners.  One of them around 30 years old and it is still providing good service.

I sent one back to Bushnell for repair.  I fell down a snow, ice covered slope and bent the top turret.  Bushnell fixed it and sent it back with a few goodies.  The service was timely and they did not charge me a cent.  

I received a used rifle with a old Bushnell Sportsview.  While it is not clear, it puts the bullets on the mark.  I have not had it out in nasty weather but I suspect it will fog up as fast as my 1950's Weaver.  I think the Sportsview is the bottom of the Bushnell food chain.  The Sportsview is on my list to be replaced. The only reason it has not been replaced is because it in not on a primary hunting rifle.

I cannot blame Bushnell for problems that Tasco had before Bushnell bought out Tasco.  I have a pair of 8x40 Tasco binoculars that are in the junk drawer.  I bought them while I was on the road.  When I figure out that they were mis-aligned I was to far down the road to correct the problem with the store. I must fault myself for not returning them to Tasco.  I blame work for keeping me to busy.  Years down the road when I was getting ready to send them off to Tasco I find that they went out of business and Bushnell bought the brand name.  

I had a Tasco World Class 3x9 on a 30-06.  It is still on the rifle, only it belongs to my son-in-law now.  It has held its zero for twenty years, and it is still clear.

When I gave my son a .270 for Christmas his grandparents gave him and Westernfield Scope for it.  Talking about junk.  No wonder Wards went out of business.

Bushnell treated me right! :-)
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline myarmor

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 06:20:51 PM »
Well I personally do like Bushnell myself. Never had any problems out of mine. As for Tasco, yes I have had some problems and have one in the junk drawer. What I have come to realize is that not all can afford high end stuff, and for those people there are the BSA, Simmons, and Tascos of the world.
 Are they the clearest, tightest, brightest scope out on the market?=No. But for the most part they do what is needed-to be adaquate and functional. For a lot of people that's all they need. And thus the reason there are those makers on the market.
Buy the best quality scope you can afford, is what I say.
Work with what you got.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 07:10:20 AM »
Lawdog you seem rather prone to make life changing decisions based on one or two isolated instances. Either that or you just like to knock every thing I speak favorably of.

Would you care to give us more details on the Bushnell/Tasco problems. I'd like to speak with my contact at Bushnell regarding them but with no info cannot do so.

Like everyone else I'm sure that from time to time a bad one slips out there. I've had two defective items with the Bushnell name on them in the past 30 years or so of using a BUNCH of them. The first was promptly replaced. The second is in transit to them now and I'm sure it too will be replaced.

So rather than just bad mouth a company that is as good as any of them out there and better than most let's hear some specifics. Give us names and dates and a description of the problem.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lawdog

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 11:26:41 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Lawdog you seem rather prone to make life changing decisions based on one or two isolated instances. Either that or you just like to knock every thing I speak favorably of.

Would you care to give us more details on the Bushnell/Tasco problems. I'd like to speak with my contact at Bushnell regarding them but with no info cannot do so.

Like everyone else I'm sure that from time to time a bad one slips out there. I've had two defective items with the Bushnell name on them in the past 30 years or so of using a BUNCH of them. The first was promptly replaced. The second is in transit to them now and I'm sure it too will be replaced.

So rather than just bad mouth a company that is as good as any of them out there and better than most let's hear some specifics. Give us names and dates and a description of the problem.

Graybeard,

No problem.  Lets start with Tasco.  The first Tasco I had a problem with was a 3-9x 40mm that I bought in December of 2001 from Kmart(on a CHRISTmas close out sale).  After mounting it on my rifle I discovered that the windage wouldn’t move at all.  Crank it all the way each way and it made no difference, POI wouldn’t change.  Kmart wouldn’t take it back and wouldn’t exchange it as they had no other Tasco scopes in the store.  I called Tasco and they had me send it to them, I did via UPS and had them sign for it.  That was the last I heard from them until I received notice that they had filed for bankruptcy.  Filled out the form that came with the notice and never heard from them again.

Second Tasco scope was a 2.5-10x 42mm Target and Varmint model that I bought in 2004 and was told that would be suitable for air rifle use.  Mounted it on a HW97 and it didn’t last through sight-in.  Finally got Big 5 Sports to take it back but only after many letters and phone calls.  Our local sporting goods store used to have a drawer full of busted Tasco scopes that he couldn't return.  He finally ended up re-cycling them.  He no longer ccarries Tasco or Bushnell products.

Bushnell - I bought a Trophy 6-18X 40mm #73-6184, one of the ones Bushnell recommends for springer air rifle use, and a Elite 3200 5-15X 40mm #32-5154M that both have the same problem.  The power adjustment ring is so stiff it requires both hands to turn them.  Called their customer service department and told the gal on the phone my problem.  I was told that it was normal and the adjustment ring would loosen up with use.  I take them down ever so often and work the rings and after two years they haven’t loosened up yet in nearly two years.  I know a number of shooters that have had the same problem with Bushnell variables so it's not just me or a few "bad ones" that slipped thru.

I do not arbitrary “bad mouth” manufactures, only those I have been burnt by.  I only comment on products that I have personal experience with.  You and I have disagreed on a number of products BUT we have agreed on a number of products too.  “mohunter” asked for opinions and I gave mine.  Did I do wrong in doing so?  If so, I will check with you before ever expressing an opinion again.  Lawdog
 :|
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 05:48:59 PM »
Graybeard,

No problem. Lets start with Tasco. The first Tasco I had a problem with was a 3-9x 40mm that I bought in December of 2001 from Kmart(on a CHRISTmas close out sale). After mounting it on my rifle I discovered that the windage wouldn’t move at all. Crank it all the way each way and it made no difference, POI wouldn’t change. Kmart wouldn’t take it back and wouldn’t exchange it as they had no other Tasco scopes in the store. I called Tasco and they had me send it to them, I did via UPS and had them sign for it. That was the last I heard from them until I received notice that they had filed for bankruptcy. Filled out the form that came with the notice and never heard from them again.

Prior to Bushnell buying the Tasco name and during the period when things were really going down hill for Tasco. Soap box rant mode on. Serves you right for dealing with Kmart. Soap box rant mode off.  :lol:

Second Tasco scope was a 2.5-10x 42mm Target and Varmint model that I bought in 2004 and was told that would be suitable for air rifle use. Mounted it on a HW97 and it didn’t last through sight-in. Finally got Big 5 Sports to take it back but only after many letters and phone calls. Our local sporting goods store used to have a drawer full of busted Tasco scopes that he couldn't return. He finally ended up re-cycling them. He no longer ccarries Tasco or Bushnell products.

Who said it would be suitable for air guns? Did Tasco or Bushnell? Was it on the box or on any literature with the scope or on their website? If not then the blame can't falll on them. If it did and they didn't fix it shame on them. I'm betting there was nothing from Tasco/Bushnell saying it was for air guns.

Bushnell - I bought a Trophy 6-18X 40mm #73-6184, one of the ones Bushnell recommends for springer air rifle use, and a Elite 3200 5-15X 40mm #32-5154M that both have the same problem. The power adjustment ring is so stiff it requires both hands to turn them. Called their customer service department and told the gal on the phone my problem. I was told that it was normal and the adjustment ring would loosen up with use. I take them down ever so often and work the rings and after two years they haven’t loosened up yet in nearly two years. I know a number of shooters that have had the same problem with Bushnell variables so it's not just me or a few "bad ones" that slipped thru.

Kinda long ago to do much about now on the Trophy. Not sure the warranty period on it. The Elite is still covered. I suggest you call again and ask to speak to someone else if you get that answer. I'll discuss this with my POC this week if I can reach her. That's definitely not normal and should be covered under warranty. Me thinks you let them off too quickly and easily or maybe got irate which never helps. Yeah I do it to some times when being nice don't get the job done. But it pretty much never helps me either.  :roll:

I do not arbitrary “bad mouth” manufactures, only those I have been burnt by. I only comment on products that I have personal experience with. You and I have disagreed on a number of products BUT we have agreed on a number of products too. “mohunter” asked for opinions and I gave mine. Did I do wrong in doing so? If so, I will check with you before ever expressing an opinion again. Lawdog

No you did nothing wrong. You have the same right to state an opinion as anyone else. Just seems we sure have widely different experiences with the same products. In the case of both these and Remingtons yours is somewhat limited. In both cases I've got experience with lots. Hundreds of Remingtons and well over 50 Bushnells. I'm less inclined I guess to give up after a single bad experience or even a couple. I've had as many bad experiences with RCBS and Leupold as you with Bushnell and Remington and they are generally considered the best in the industry on customer service and warranty work.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline VTDW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.geocities.com/vtdw336/great_outdoors.html
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 06:28:19 PM »
Bill,

How much Bushnell stock to you own? :)  :) KIDDING :)  :)

Dave 8)
www.marlinowners.com
How did I get over the hill without getting to the top?

http://photobucket.com/albums/v354/vtdw1/

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 04:59:43 AM »
How much Bushnell stock to you own?

For the record none. And Bushnell is NOT a paying advertiser of this site.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline victorcharlie

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 06:48:04 AM »
Just a guess.......Is your brother-in-law a Bushnell salesman?

Just kidding.  I bought a Bushnell 4200 Elite 4 X 16 X 40 and have it on my Savage 93R17 BVSS.  It's a great scope.  Period.  It's also a large, long, heavy scope.  It's certainly well built and I can't tell much difference between it and my Leupolds.  If price is a factor, the Bushnell can be had for about 30% less than a VX-III.

If your a conservative such as myself........you'll probably never really feel good about anything that doesn't have made in the USA on it..........

Yes, it's good, but it's not American made........that matters to some of us.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 07:04:47 AM »
I own a bunch of Bushnell, most of them Banners, and a 3200 3x9 Elite  with rain guard.  Never one problem with any of them, some of the Banners really have excellent optics. Own one Tasco, it's ok, not that great optics, but no problems. Lat scopes i have  bought have been Muellers and the last a Burris FullField II which I really like. Just ordered new Simmons, will see how good it is. Never cared for the Simmons that usually come on Wally World guns..we shall see....

Offline Lawdog

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 10:37:37 AM »
Graybeard,

I bought the first Tasco because lots of shooters were saying how great they were.  They didn't know what they were talking about.  Doesn’t matter that I bought it at K-mart, could have been Wal-Mart, Big 5 Sports or Ma & Pa's Sporting Goods store.  Tasco is a Tasco.  The reason I bought the second Tasco was I figured Bushnell had up-graded them.  Wrong.

Who said it would be suitable for air guns?

The manager at Big 5 Sports.  We went through the specs and the Target and Varmint model was the only one that would focus down to the ranges that air rifles are normally shot.  My problem came when I returned the scope busted and the manager called his rep and was told Tasco wouldn’t replace it or refund the money.  I have since learned that Tasco doesn't make a scope approved for springer air rifles.

As for the power adjustment rings being hard to turn I called Bushnell more than a few times and each time was told the same thing.  "It will work in with use” so there is nothing wrong with them, thus not covered under warrantee.  I have given up on them.  Now I have two toys to play with every time I go into my reloading shed.  I take them down and work the adjustment ring but they still turn so hard they are virtually un-usable.

In the case of both these and Remingtons yours is somewhat limited.

Have you ever had to deal with Remington's Customer Service department over a rifle that won't group?  Or a rifle that the inletting of the action looked like it was done with a box ax?  Or shotguns that jam after every shot?  I too own a number of Remington rifles that are excellent weapons.  Accurate and well made.  I used to be one of their biggest promoters.  But all were made before 1980.  Also it's not just my experiences with Remington and Bushnell.  I personally know many others that have had the same problems.

I'm less inclined I guess to give up after a single bad experience or even a couple. I've had as many bad experiences with RCBS and Leupold as you with Bushnell and Remington and they are generally considered the best in the industry on customer service and warranty work.

Why keep going back to a company after they screwed you over twice?  I have had problems with other companies but their Customer Service Dpartments have always made them right so I still go back to them.  In the cases of Remington and Bushnell their Customer Service Departments showed they didn’t care.  Why would I go back to a company that doesn’t care for their customers except for the money they spend on their products?  Sorry to disagree with you.  Lawdog
 :toast:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 02:36:17 PM »
Actually it would have made a difference. Wal-Mart has a no questions asked money back policy. They would have replaced it or refunded your money. I've taken broken stuff back to them before. I am a bit surprised Bushnell isn't warrantying them better. I will discuss this with my POC.

I do not accept the "Bushnell response" you say you got. That one too I'll talk to Laura about. That's NOT right if it's so hard it requires two hands to turn. I'd send such back and expect it fixed myself.

Have you ever had to deal with Remington's Customer Service department over a rifle that won't group? Or a rifle that the inletting of the action looked like it was done with a box ax? Or shotguns that jam after every shot?

Well yes sorta. Had a 541T HB that wouldn't group. It was shipped back at Remington's expense and replaced with a new one. Had an R700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in .260 Rem. I picked up used that the inletting for barrel was cut off center big time. Called and was told to return stock for replacement at no cost. I paid to ship it to them but that's all my cost and I bought it used and told them so. Had an 1100 20 ga. skeet gun back in my competition days that jammed pretty much all the time. Gave it to a Remington Rep at a skeet shoot and when I got it back from him at no cost it never bobbled again as long as I owned it. No charge.

That's my experenice with them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline myarmor

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 02:37:51 PM »
:eek: Wow. Our friend mohunter was just wondering about one model scope. Who knew it would turn out to be battle of opinions from the Moderators and the Bigman. Hope we didn't scare our friend off :? ?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2005, 02:42:25 PM »
Hey at least we're being civil in our disagreement. Heck me and Lawdog don't agree on much of anything.  :eek:  But we get to argue a lot.  :)

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline myarmor

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2005, 02:52:46 PM »
Well not everyone is going to agree, and perhaps the topic of which brand of scope is the most opinionated of all :)
To each his own.

Offline Lawdog

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2005, 10:11:09 AM »
Quote from: Graybeard
Hey at least we're being civil in our disagreement. Heck me and Lawdog don't agree on much of anything.  :eek:  But we get to argue a lot.  :)

Being civil towards each other is what makes Graybeard Outdoors different from most of the other forums.  Strange thing is ole' Graybeard and I could most likely share a hunting camp without spilling blood.   :blaster:   A beer or two maybe but no blood.  Might have to loan him my Savage .270 WSM so he could collect his game though being handicapped with them offerings from the Big Green like he is.   :-D  :-D    :-D   :-D  Lawdog
 :toast:

Offline myarmor

new tasco10-40x50
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2005, 01:36:07 PM »
:)  
I keep hearing awesome things about Mueller's stuff. Glad to hear you found a scope to your liking. I haven't heard anything about the Titan line either. I think everyone is so leary about Tasco now that no one wants to give anything new they have a chance, due to so many in the trash from China...
A shame too, the Japanese models were well built scopes...