Author Topic: I would like to spend more time in the woods but...  (Read 880 times)

Offline KPD

• Trade Count: (0)
I would like to spend more time in the woods but...
« on: July 01, 2005, 04:24:35 PM »
THE MOSQUITOES DRIVE ME CRAZY!!

For those of you who live in mosquito-infested areas, what do you do to keep these little blood-suckers at bay?

Thanks in advance!

Offline FWiedner

I would like to spend more time in the wood
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 05:43:33 PM »
I used to use DEET.

Worked great, but it stinks and makes my face numb.

Lately, I've gone with the mosquito net over my head and hands.

The bugs don't bother me much when I'm up and about, but when I'm in the stand they tend to drive me crazy.

The net keeps 'em off.

Looks looks kinda dopey, but it works.

:D
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 04:43:51 AM »
Eat more garlic.  When other people around me are getting eaten up be the mosquitos I seem to go relatively untouched.  The only thing I can figure is I like garlic and tend to eat a lot of it.  But for more protection for when in the woods or out fishing I will apply an insect repellant containing  DEET.  Just be careful, the stuff will melt a nylon wind breaker.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 05:33:26 AM »
For me, Avon Skin so Soft seems to deter most mosquitoes, but doesn't come anywhere near discouraging horseflies and deerflies, and those fellas are some nasty critters.  I refer to the deerfly as the 'Swept-Wing Vampire Fly', because that;s about what thier bit5e feels like.

A friend of mine told me about an all natural product called Birch-B's. or something like that, that works very well on deerflies and horseflies.  I understand you find it in places like candle shops and the like.  I am going to lok for some.  

Avon also makes a bug deterent that works about the same as the Skin so Soft does, but this stuff comes in a smaller bottle that can be used to whack these little monsters when they finally settle on ya.  No use tryin' to get them on the wing, they are too quick - gotta wait until they settle in for a bite to whack'em.  Mikey.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2005, 03:35:34 PM »
KPD;
   Some folks swear BY "B" vitamins ...some swear at them !

Do a google search for <mosquitoes, B vitamins>   lots of info comes up...you decide..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 08:11:24 AM »
While I don't use 'em 'cause I won't go into the woods until after the first "hard" freeze, I've been told by reliable sources that those little "fabric softener" sheets you throw in the dryer with the clean, wet laundry will stop misquitoes bothering you if you stuff the sheets (new or used, not sure... try the "used ones" first) in the back of your collar and stuff 'em inside your shirt sleeves to STOP the pesky little "varmints" cold.

Honest... that is what they've said and that's what I've read in articles about the "uncommon uses of common household items".

Give 'em a "try" and see if they work... or do what I do... I.E., stay OUT of the woods until AFTER the first "hard" freeze!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shorty

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 09:48:27 AM »
And don't forget about chicks and tiggers, hick, dang, I mean ticks and chiggers.  
When ALL of those nasty biting things are out it's also too HOT to be in the woods anyway!  :roll:  :wink:

Offline Brett

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 12:56:37 PM »
First hard what?   Oh,  it's coming back to me now.  That was one of the things I moved south from massachusetts to get away from.  Some of the other things was outrages property taxes and gun grabbing politicians.  God bless Dixie.  :D

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 01:24:11 PM »
the mosquito is the provincal bird of Manitoba, and with the non stop rain and flood conditions we're experiancing, they've been worse then usual. i find Muskol and Deep Woods to be the best repellents, and eating a lot of garlic and does help with both wood ticks and skeeters
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline INresponse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 03:50:59 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
.....A friend of mine told me about an all natural product called Birch-B's. or something like that, that works very well on deerflies and horseflies.  I understand you find it in places like candle shops and the like.  I am going to lok for some.  

Avon also makes a bug deterent that works about the same as the Skin so Soft does, but this stuff comes in a smaller bottle that can be used to whack these little monsters when they finally settle on ya.  No use tryin' to get them on the wing, they are too quick - gotta wait until they settle in for a bite to whack'em.  Mikey.

OK, think you are talking about Burt's Bees, WWW.BURTSBEES.COM .  I have never used it for the wife has a bottle of some on the shelf.  It is an appricot baby oil, but i know they make a lot of products that women like to waste money on.  Perhaps they have something that keeps the bugs away.

I know that Skin So Soft does work, sometimes.  When I lived in Michigan we used it regularly to keep the mosquitos away while playing softball, but, one night we were getting cheewed up by the critters and the Skin So Soft did not help.  Not sure why it didn't work that night, perhaps that group of mosquitos were on steroids.
Police Officers support the 2nd Amendment!
-Retired-

Offline bigbore442001

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
    • Bigbore's Outdoors.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 03:05:40 PM »
I'd never but a Burts Bees product after I found out that the owner, Patricia Quigley, is very anti-hunting. She has publically made it known she thinks hunting should be banned as we do not need to hunt for our food. She owns 40,000 acres in Maine and it is all posted. She intends to donate it to Baxter State Park where again, hunting and trapping are banned.

I wouldn't let my cat pee on her if she was on fire.

Offline Brett

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 03:53:44 PM »
Quote from: bigbore442001
I wouldn't let my cat pee on her if she was on fire.

:-D  :-D  :-D

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 09:10:53 AM »
Hay!  You guys think you got mosquitoes?  Come to Alaska!  We've got all types, big ones and tiny little ones that get into almost any thing.  They bite right through your clothes.  If you are wearing leather gloves, made of thin leather, when you pick up something and pull the leather tight they will bite through the leather in that area.  The nets work great if you don't let them touch shin anywhere.  DEET products work well but only last for 20 to 30 minutes.  Avon's Skin So Soft, keeps them from biting, but they still land and crawl around looking for an unprotected spot.  We're having a real wet summer this year, and they are especially bad.  Hard freezies don't mean nothing here.  First time the temp gets above freezing, they are back.  
    At least we don't have to worry about chiggers and ticks, the only thing we have to worry about in the brush is Grizzlies, or an occasional Black Bear.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline .358buddy

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2005, 05:32:24 AM »
I will say that deet's, skin-so-soft and deep woods all work very well
till I start to sweating.  On the way up the mountain here in Alaska
with a rain suit on ,all the above wash into the eyes.

There is a portable electronic device sold on the Outdoor channel
that is guaranteed to work.  I have two similar devices that run off 110 ac
in a 55 unit complex and I have no more spiders! After a year trial I will be ordering one for the trail. They are the size of a very small walkman
radio.

Be careful and double check