Author Topic: RCBS Sizer die  (Read 649 times)

Offline sundogg1911

• Trade Count: (0)
RCBS Sizer die
« on: July 07, 2005, 04:48:27 AM »
i was doing some casting the other day, and decided to size my 173 gr. flat nose GC bullets for my 30-30. problem was that I got a new RCBS sizer die, and it only has one row of holes in it. the gas checks seat fine, but all of the lube seems to push up from the bottom under the gas check. i looked at my other sizer dies (all of the other 12 of them are Lyman) they all have 3 rows of holes. Should I just pitch the RCBS sizer and buy one from Lyman. By the way I am using Rooster Red lube, with a Midway heating element and a Lyman 450 sizer press. Maybe the RCBS dies only work in the RCBS presses.  :eek:

Offline Calamity Jake

RCBS sizer die
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 06:42:38 AM »
Lyman and RCBS H & I dies are interchangable. the lube squriting under the GC is causd by to much pressure on the plunger screw, it will happen with both Lyman and RCBS sizer lubers, just back off on the pressure a
little and or reduce the heat see if that helps. If that does not help then back pressure completely off, size the boolet then add pressure to lube and back off again, size the next boolet add pressure then back off ect.
You may also need to adjust depth you may not be getting the boolet deep enough in the die. so look at that too.
Calamity Jake

Offline sundogg1911

RCBS Sizer die
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 07:42:33 AM »
i'm getting no lube in the lube grooves period. i have tried different amounts of pressure. I took the sizer die apart and cleaned it out completely. I can see that it is sizing it completely up to and above the crimp groove, so I don't belive that to be the problem, but I have tried different depths also. i have tried sizing and seating the checks first and lubeing as a separate step. same thing. I also tried a soft lube and am having the same problem. I removed the .308 sizer (RCBS) and the succesfully sized/lubed
.452 bullets (2 different flavor's of .45 ACP's) and .356 .380's for my daughter's pistol with no problems at all. Both of which are Lyman. I still don't see why there are only one row of holes in the RCBS and 3 in the Lymans. I think I will just buy another Lyman. I have never really had any problems with them.  :cry:

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
RCBS Sizer die
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 04:28:59 PM »
Adjust it so the bullet goes in deeper. Keep going until you have lube in the groove. If you get lube in the crimp groove you've gone too far. It'll work.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline sundogg1911

RCBS Sizer die
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 03:14:50 AM »
Nobade, you are correct. after readjusting it it seems to be working.
it also was pretty crudded up with some kind of extremly hard black lube.
it seems to work ok now. thanks.  :roll:

Offline sundogg1911

RCBS Sizer die
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 09:05:56 AM »
i finished sizing the 173 gr. FPGC's what a mess. has a heck of a time seating the gas checks, and the lube was all over. i had to scrape it off the bottom of the sizer die after about every 3rd bullet. i don't get it. my pistol bullets (about 6 different varieties) all work with no problems. I guess rifle bullets just aren't as easy.  :?

Offline jtaylor1960

Sizing bullets
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 07:22:41 AM »
You might try adjusting the depth that the bullet is allowed to go into the sizer.If you go too far it seems you get a lot of extra lube coming out around the bullet. Good luck, Jeff Taylor.

Offline Kenneth L. Walters

• Avid Poster
One minor point
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 01:25:38 PM »
Not all RCBS and Lyman dies these days are interchangable.

Somewhere in the dim past Lyman tightened up the specs on both their sizing dies and their lubricator/sizer.  So my old Lyman 450 and my RCBS L/S can use any dies I've got.  My new Lyman 4500, however, will not handle them all.  Older sizing dies, either RCBS or Lyman, may have too large a diameter to fit in a new Lyman 4500.

Took me awhile to figure that out but Lyman did confirm the change.

My 450 was, I thought, just about worn out but, well, it will handle all the dies so I'm keeping it around.