Author Topic: Shooting Trap with a Pardner  (Read 743 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
Shooting Trap with a Pardner
« on: July 10, 2005, 07:36:12 AM »
I'm posting this question on this forum because I know there are NEF and H&R folks here; the same question on a forum for trap shooting might get laughed off.

I am mostly interested (currently) in Cowboy Action Shooting, but have been a target shooter for many years.  I recently started shooting a little Trap also.  My first shotgun was a 12Ga. High Standard pump.  Out of 25 shots I can consistently hit 18 or 19.  I decided to try a single-shot gun and since my money (except for the High Standard) is tied up in CAS guns, I bought a 12Ga. NEF Pardner with a 32" barrel.  I like the way it shoots but I'm having trouble getting as many hits as I do with my High Standard.  The Pardner is a Full CHoke and is fixed; the High Standard is also fixed but is a Modified Choke.

I can't justify spending the money to buy a high priced Trap gun (considering my current focus - CAS) and firmly believe that "you learn to shoot what you've got".  That being said, I am thinking that one of the differences between my two shotguns is the choke.  Full choke provides a tighter pattern and therefore demands greater accuracy on my part to break the clay.  Here's my question;  is there an optimum point/distance at which to hit the clay.  In other words, does the clay tend to "float" at some point in its arc where it is the best target and offers the best chance of a hit when using a tighter choke.  I'm thinking that letting the clay get farther away when using a tighter choke might actually be a benefit.  

What do you think.

Thanks,  JR

Offline hipshot300

test
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 09:39:13 AM »
Have you tried to pattern test the weapon? She could be throwing to a different poa.

Offline chrsm

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 10:59:33 AM »
my son has shot trap with two nef's. One 20 ga sb1 and a 12 ga  sb2.after patterning and adding height to the stock it shot very well. But after 80 rounds of trap (1500 to 2000 shots). the fireing pin broke on both guns

Offline jrdudas

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 03:17:19 PM »
It occurred to me after my initial post that I have patterned all my guns except the NEF.  So it may indeed not be shooting to the POA.  I'll have to pattern it the next time I'm out.  

With regard to the firing pin breakage; that's discouraging, I hope parts are available and not too expensive.  I really enjoy the simplicity of the Pardner and want to continue to use it for Trap.  I know it's not the ideal gun for that use, but there's something to be said for the satisfaction of mastering the game while using the most affordable tool.

JR

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
I am really surprised that the firing pins broke on those guns.  I have a 28 ga Partner that I have shot 10 cases of ammo plus hunting loads through and never broke anything but the transfer bar.  That broke in the first 50 rounds and was replaced at no charge to me.  Guess I better keep my fingers crossed.