Author Topic: 4th of July Blast  (Read 901 times)

Offline Pogue

• Trade Count: (0)
4th of July Blast
« on: July 08, 2005, 10:35:29 AM »
Finally got a chance to try out my Dixie coehorn.  The neighbors were suitably impressed.  It sent the racquetball about 200 yds, with an altitude of about 100yds.  And this was with only a film canister's worth of powder (about 3/4oz)!  I can't imagine what the max charge of 4oz would do, but I think I'll stick with the film canister!

Pic is here if the attachment doesn't work:

http://www.io.com/~pogue/Kaboom.JPG

[/img]

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
4th of July Blast
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 10:39:17 AM »
I assume you were serving.  Did your opponent return the ball or was it an ace?

Great pix!  Thanks for posing it!  Sounds like you took a very safe approach to life by using the racquetball!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
4th of July Blast
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 11:27:24 AM »
Hi Pogue, nice picture.  I can also see a lot of circles on the blacktop so must have had a good fireworks time!  Hey, just wondering, was there any black powder in the red metal box just behind the mortar??  I see the back blast out of the vent shooting right towards the open box.  Might want to make sure to close the box and move it more to the rear, even if it didn't contain powder, fuse etc.  Hey, just a suggestion as we don't want to see ANY forum members or their spectators get hurt...  Just my opinion..and please don't be offended by the suggestion and think that I'm trying to be a "know it all".
And, more pictures, please.  Blaster (Bob in So. CO) :D
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Pogue

4th of July Blast
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 11:59:54 AM »
No powder.  I figured someone here would point out some safety issues!  This was the first time ever I'd fired it, and didn't really know what to expect!  Learned many lessons this session.  Hopefully, I'll remember them all when New Year's Eve comes!

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
4th of July Blast
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 01:54:07 PM »
Hey again Pogue.  Thanks for not taking offense to my suggestion.  This is a great forum and I have an awful lot still to learn.  Did the mortar bed/carriage also come from Dixie or did you make it yourself??  That is really a good looking mortar and my curiosity is really going.  What is the measured bore diameter and approximate weight of the complete setup?  One thing about this forum, there are a lot of questions asked and hope you don't mind them!  Thanks. Blaster (Bob in So. CO)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Pogue

4th of July Blast
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »
This thing had been sitting in a local gunshop for at least 20 years, and I'd always admired it.  Finally went ahead and dug up some trading material and got it.  Bore diameter is 2 3/8 inch, so racquetballs fit perfect.  I'm sure if I was ever inclined to do a "warshot", I could fill one up with dove shot or sand.  The Dixie catlog says to use 2-4oz of powder, but I build an insert that holds the aforementioned film canister's worth of powder.  Even that was impressive.  The whole thing weighs about 100 lbs.  I've been lifting weights lately, and actually managed to get it in my truck bed without help!  ;-)

Offline Calamity Jane

• Avid Poster
4th of July Blast
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 04:04:23 PM »
I built my ammo chest with the cover oerlapping on 3 sides and a chain that's too short to allow the lid to stay open - all common practices in the Civil War era
Calamity Jane
SASS 40978L

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
4th of July Blast
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 04:09:05 PM »
Quote from: Calamity Jane
I built my ammo chest with the cover oerlapping on 3 sides and a chain that's too short to allow the lid to stay open - all common practices in the Civil War era

Excellent!  I'll bet it kept things not only free from sparks but also dry!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)