Author Topic: Hi guys, first question  (Read 650 times)

Offline dave in pa.

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi guys, first question
« on: August 19, 2005, 07:59:00 AM »
Hi guys,
  I just joined up after reading through some of you mortar and cannon posts. There is some fine work on here.
  This leads to my first question... I have a piece of seamless hydraulic pipe that is 2.375 inch I.D., 3.125 inch O.D., .375 inch wall, and 18 inches long... what would/could be built using this material?
  I have the lathe, mill, welders, tools, and know how to do the build... I'm just looking to see what everyone thinks.
Thanks for your time,
dave

P.S. Our great city mayor is Charlie Smithgall, perhaps you have heard of him? I've been to some of his cannon/gatling gun shoots and they just make me proud to be able to vote for him.
Every mighty oak was once a little nut who held its ground

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Hi guys, first question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 08:21:28 AM »
WELCOME to the board!

3/8 wall thickness is good IF the rest of it is built right and using the appropriate ammo.  (Heavier produces much more pressure.)

But, what are you going to use for bullets (at 2-3/8" diameter).  There might well be something common that you won't have to pay a fortune for.

Of course you'll want to build a breech plug with a powder chamber - which raises the questions of design and fastening - both related to strength.

I ask myself the same question about just about every cylendrical piece of metal I see!  Hmmm, what caliber could that be?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline kappullen

• Avid Poster
Hi guys, first question
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 08:39:34 AM »
Quote from: Cat Whisperer

I ask myself the same question about just about every cylendrical piece of metal I see!  Hmmm, what caliber could that be?

I feel that way too.

Every house I look at, I look at the electric pole for three phase.
I look for a backstop for rifle-cannon fire.
I look for a flat spot for the railroad.

Dave,

I don't know what can be made out of that pipe and have to stand aside to others more knowlegable.

Maybe your mayor could give you some ideas.

I met Charlie Smithgall years ago when he inspected my toy.

What a collection he has.

Kap

Offline dave in pa.

Hi guys, first question
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2005, 08:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses.
If this can be made into a boomstick I have 2 ideas for projectiles...

1. I can take a piece of thin exhaust pipe of the correct O.D., cut it into 2 or 3 inch long pieces, weld a cap on the bottom, and fill with concrete.

2. I have a bag full (about 100) of worn out raquet balls that I can use for molds and fill with concrete, then cut the rubber away. The O.D. of this is just a little smaller than the pipe bore.

I guess I can always cut the pipe into 2 or 3 sections and make a couple of mortars, too.

Yes, Charlie does have quite a collection. He's on record as saying that he does not count them, that way his wife doesn't know when a new one shows up.
Thanks, dave

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Hi guys, first question
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 12:26:12 PM »
Quote from: dave in pa.

1. I can take a piece of thin exhaust pipe of the correct O.D., cut it into 2 or 3 inch long pieces, weld a cap on the bottom, and fill with concrete.

2. I have a bag full (about 100) of worn out raquet balls that I can use for molds and fill with concrete, then cut the rubber away. The O.D. of this is just a little smaller than the pipe bore.

Thanks, dave

Two excellent ideas -

The idea of exhaust pipe is EXCELLENT - uniform in size, many sizes, AND UNIVERSALLY AVAILABLE!

Raquet and hand balls are also good safe-fun alternatives to using chunks of steel/zinc/aluminum/concrete that qualify for urban redevelopment tools.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Hi guys, first question
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 05:17:49 PM »
Keep the raw cement out of your bore.  It is abrasive and will score, scour and wear your bore.  Standard run of the mill cement will also break up on firing.

Build yourself a mould.  Either a ball mould or cylinderical.  My first ones were directly up scalled Airgun pellets.  

By the way the projectiles you need will be 2.315 inch diameter to have proper windage.

Offline dave in pa.

Hi guys, first question
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:39:20 AM »
Double D,
  I was going to wrap a layer of cheap tinfoil around the concrete to keep from grinding out the bore... good/bad idea?
  I can also make a mold or two for whatever I make from this.
  Any ideas on a particular gun type? I'm kinda partial to mortars but am open to any/all suggestions. Plans or drawings would help me out, too.
Thanks to all, dave

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Hi guys, first question
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 03:38:49 AM »
Cheap tinfoil isn't going to get it. I don't think even heavy duty tin foil will work.  I suggest things like cement filled PVC that CW favors or cans.  

Look for something that is a loose fit down the bore. Not a slip fit either, after the first shot you won't be able to load because of the fouling.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Hi guys, first question
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 03:42:32 AM »
PVC pipe is made to exact dimensions.  If you do cement filling you might want to ensure there is a mechanism in the pipe to secure it - if they're green they will slip a bit when fired.

You could easily make a set of moulds to use aluminum flashing (cheap) which is much more durable than foil.
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired