Author Topic: Colorado hunting  (Read 1687 times)

Offline rider

• Trade Count: (0)
Colorado hunting
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:52:18 PM »
Anyone coming to Colorado to hunt this year that has any question or needs help with anything just ask! I am new to the site and am willing to help.  I am a native and have been hunting here for over twenty years.  Glad to be of any assistance.

Offline crow_feather

Colorado hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »
You have some pretty country there.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Lawdog

Colorado hunting
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 11:33:40 AM »
rider,

Welcome to Western Big Game Hunting.  I am sure that will be lots of questions coming your way as many are always asking for information on Colorado.  Good to have someone that lives there to help out.   :toast:   Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Colorado hunting
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 01:58:21 AM »
Quote from: rider
Anyone coming to Colorado to hunt this year that has any question or needs help with anything just ask! I am new to the site and am willing to help.  I am a native and have been hunting here for over twenty years.  Glad to be of any assistance.

Yes welcome. Being a former Colorado person myself, it is great to here there are still others from Colorado willing to help out others.  :D Where are you at in Colorado? I lived in Colorado Springs for 14 years and graduated from Harrison High school.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline rider

Colorado hunting
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 08:44:10 AM »
Right now my family is in Castle Rock.  I have lived in Grand Junction, Alamosa, Gunnison, Walden, and Grand Lake.  Pretty much every part of the state.  It is a great state and we have many areas to hunt.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Colorado hunting
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 05:40:59 PM »
Quote from: rider
Right now my family is in Castle Rock.  I have lived in Grand Junction, Alamosa, Gunnison, Walden, and Grand Lake.  Pretty much every part of the state.  It is a great state and we have many areas to hunt.

Indeed it is a great State. My Sister and her husband live in Colorado Springs.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Baddwuf

colorado hunting
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 12:47:00 AM »
Looking to hunt elk in the Grand Mesa area this fall. Stayed at the powderhorn once and really liked the area.

Offline BeanMan

• Avid Poster
Colorado hunting
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2005, 01:28:01 PM »
Badwuf,

I live in the shadow of Grand Mesa, I can see the fresh snow that fell last night.  I usually hunt the West Elks but spend lots of time on the Mesa.  I'd be happy to help.

BeanMan
Fred Judson
Palisade, CO

Offline sagegrass

Looking for Blue Grouse sites.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 11:53:05 AM »
Hello Rider:
I also live in Colorado but have not been big game hunting for some years now. I used to see the Blue Grouse on every trip, but I am now retired and can't make the high country trips anymore, I am going to try some Blue Grouse hunting with my Ruger .22 target model.

Do you have any suggestions for some likely spots that I might try. I am familiar with North Park and used to bag a lot of Sage Grouse and rabbits about 25 years ago but they are pretty much gone now. I do also have a .20 ga shotgun but the pistol is easier to carry.

I may be hunting solo, with a GPS (after getting lost last year) , so I'm not looking for deep woods adventures anymore.

Good luck with your future hunts and thanks for kindly offering  hunting advice for folks planning trips here.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Colorado hunting
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 03:48:13 AM »
I was gonna post a new topic but then i saw this one. I'm moving to Denver, CO this coming June for college to become a gunsmith. Can anyone tell me what the regualtions are and what big game can be hunted out there? I don't wanna just give up hunting for 4 years while i'm out there.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline crow_feather

Colorado hunting
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 07:09:28 AM »
Varminter,

What is there to hunt?
Almost everything you could ever want to hunt in the lower 48.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Colorado hunting
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2005, 07:31:36 AM »
I would like to get in on some elk hunts and some antelope if there are any there. I like i'm gonna pick up a winchester m70 coyote lite in 325 wsm. Would that caliber do for elk?

Offline Lawdog

Colorado hunting
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2005, 10:24:50 AM »
Quote from: Varminter
I would like to get in on some elk hunts and some antelope if there are any there. I like i'm gonna pick up a winchester m70 coyote lite in 325 wsm. Would that caliber do for elk?

The .325 WSM will work just fine for any Elk walking this Earth.  Will handle any Moose that comes along too.  The only thing I wouldn't try on with it is the larger Bears, Costal Brown and Polar.  That M70 Coyote Lite should have around 25 - 30 pounds of free recoil, depending on the load.  Let us know how it works for you.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Colorado hunting
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2005, 11:19:49 AM »
You don't think it would be too big for antelopes do you? Since i'm going to be going to a gunsmithing school i might see if i can build a 6.5x55 Swed. on a remington action for antelope. What would be a good round for the ram out there.

Man i'm gonna have to hook up with somebody once i get out there for a couple of hunts. In the Denver/Lakewood area.

Offline Lawdog

Colorado hunting
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
Quote from: Varminter
You don't think it would be too big for antelopes do you? Since i'm going to be going to a gunsmithing school i might see if i can build a 6.5x55 Swed. on a remington action for antelope. What would be a good round for the ram out there.

Man i'm gonna have to hook up with somebody once i get out there for a couple of hunts. In the Denver/Lakewood area.

Just my opinion but the .325 WSM might be a tad bit overkill on an 80 pound animal.  The 6.5mm will work like a dream.  My wife uses hers for Antelope with no problems.  Lawdog

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Colorado hunting
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 01:16:06 PM »
I thought i would be. So that gives me an excuse to get another rifle (yes!!!) Is there hogs/boar out there?

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Colorado hunting
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2005, 07:58:28 AM »

We don't do much hunting in the Denver/Lakewood area.  Too many people and not much game. :)

Seriously though (i'm trying).  The 325 is a good elk gun and the 6.5X55 should be fine for anything else in the state.

You must be planning on attending the Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood, no?  It's a good school and I've taken more guns there for work than anywhere else.  always a good job done.

You should do a google on the Colorado Division of Wildlife.  There you can download the rules, regs, etc.  

Good luck in school.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Colorado hunting
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2005, 11:51:15 AM »
How did you guess? lol......yeah i'll be out there next june. I might have to look you up once i get settled in out there  :wink:  It's gonna be different from TN but i'm ready for a change. With me being from out of state do you think it would be easy to get me in on some antelope hunts?

Offline Longcruise

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.mikeswillowlake.com
Colorado hunting
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 12:05:16 PM »
Antelope tags are all by draw here.  In my favorite area it takes me four years to draw a tag.  You can buy some archery tags over the counter if you are a bow hunter.  Draw application deadline is first week of April if memory serves.  If you want to hunt doe antelope it's easier to draw and sometimes there are a few left over to purchase.  Wyoming always has some discount doe antelope tags left and the drive can be shorter than to some places in Colorado.

You will still be a non resident when you get here but if you can afford the tag, you can probably swing something.

Leftover cow elk tags run $250 for non res.  Lotsa meat on one of them :grin:

Shoot me an email when you are ready to move.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
Colorado hunting
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 02:00:25 PM »
Longcruise, i'll be sure to do that.  :wink:  Hunting out there may be more expensive than i first thought :(

Offline pistolhuntermn

Elk
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 04:45:56 PM »
Rider and Bean Man,
I have been hunting Colorado from out state for mule deer and elk since 1992. My group applies for preference points and then draws tags with out using our points each year. We have 10 points and are starting to look at some limited draws and using our points. I would like to chat with you guys on the phone or email. If you would, please send me your email or phone #'s and I'll get back to you. Thank you.
pistolhuntermn@yahoo.com
----------------------------------------------------------------
Gun control... being able to hit your target!
Handgun hunting.... go big or go home!