Author Topic: Long time lurker, first time poster  (Read 659 times)

Offline DeeInTejas

• Trade Count: (0)
Long time lurker, first time poster
« on: July 16, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »
Hey everyone. I've been a lurker around here for a while, and I think there is alot of great information here on hunting, shooting, firearms, and other stuff. I have always been interested in guns and shooting. Last fall I took my first deer, a nice fat healthy doe, up at my uncle's place in SE Missouri. I used my Marlin 336CS leveraction 30-30 with Remington Corelokt 150 grain SP ammo. I was in a stand up in a tree when two does came walking by. It's been my dream for a long, long time to finally get a deer, and here was my chance. Raised my rifle and aimed it behind the shoulder of the first doe. Cocked the hammer back, squeezed the trigger, click! Forgot to take the safety off!  :o  Doe didnt hear anything, so I cocked the hammer back again, took the safety off, aimed behind her shoulder, and squeezed the trigger. Round went off, hit her solidly. She fell, then scooted off further into the woods. I looked around and saw the other doe taking off in the opposite direction. I was shaking like a leaf! Waited a couple minutes, then unloaded my gun and climbed down from the stand. Walked in the direction I saw her go. Found her about 20 yards from where I shot her. The bullet had penetrated and broken her shoulder as it exited. I remember everything about that moment. Silly me, forgot to take my digital camera! I grabbed her back legs, and started dragging. She was heavy! My cousin who was in a stand near mine heard my shot and came over to help. We stood there for a few moments and admired my deer. He has hunted deer all his life. I asked him what were probably some pretty silly questions at the time about it all, then he helped me drag her further out of the woods to the trail nearby where his friend would be by to pick her up in his truck. When the truck got there, well, some of the other guys had gotten lucky too. There were already 3 other deer in the back of the truck. It was a great trip.

Okay, guns I have. Marlin 30-30 I told you all about. Then a Remington Model 700 ADL Synthetic in 270 Winchester my wife bought me for my birthday last year. Took that one up there too, but did not get anything with it. Also an SKS I traded some computer memory for years ago when computer memory actually cost something. Got the gun and 250 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo for 4, 1 megabyte, 30 pin simms memory sticks.
Also a Ruger 10-22 I have had forever, and an old Mossberg 12 gauge I bought in a pawn shop years ago. It had a 30" barrel on it. I had it cut down to 19" for home protection.

I live in Texas, but have never really hunted here. Moved here almost 20 years ago after I got out of the Army. Family had all migrated here from Georgia while I was on active duty. So once I got out, here I came.

I look forward to taking part and learning more about hunting, shooting, and firearms here. Everyone here seems to be pretty good folks. God Bless you all.

Offline Gregory

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 10:22:33 AM »
DeeInTejas

Enjoyed your deer hunting story.  It's sure a lot better to get the shakes after the shot than before!!
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 12:32:28 PM »
When reading your deer hunting story, I remembered my first deer, which also happened to be a nice fat doe. I've taken many deer since then, but none will replace that memory. Good hunting, glad you joined us! 8)

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 12:50:03 PM »
DeeInTejas,

Welcome to Graybeard Outdoors and the Medium Bore Forum.  Great story and it brings back many memories.  My first deer(a fat forked horn, club footed Blacktail buck) I got at the age of 12 with my 7.65mm Argentine Mauser that my father had given me for my 12th. birthday.  After the shot I was shaking so bad I couldn’t stand for a few minutes so I understand what you said about shaking after the shot.  Again Welcome to Graybeards and looking forward to more post from you.  Lawdog
 :toast:

P.S. - Have your friends stop by for a visit.  LD
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 03:38:48 PM »
Good read, Dee.  If it doesn't touch a nerve in every hunter in here, somethings wrong with them.  Robert Roark said its permissible to cry when you get your first deer.  
And you folks that don't know who Robert Roark is, need to look it up as there will be a test!   :grin:

Offline Slamfire

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 05:22:32 PM »
Quote from: beemanbeme

And you folks that don't know who Robert Roark is, need to look it up as there will be a test!   :grin:

He was the guy  the old man tried to teach to hunt quail.  I don't think he learned much, his gun was too big.  :-D
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.