Author Topic: ballistic tips vs accubonds  (Read 1844 times)

Offline kenscot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
ballistic tips vs accubonds
« on: March 14, 2005, 04:51:05 PM »
For the past ten years I've been loading ballistic tips and partitions exclusively usually I get better accuracy from the ballistic tips ( except for my rem 700BDL 270 which shoot all bullets into 3/4" or less)
So for the most part whitetails and antelope get the BT's and for larger deer ,boars etc it's the partitions.
Just wondering do the accubonds equal the BT's accuracy and how do they perform on game

Offline Sask_Hunter

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 05:51:12 PM »
im my 7mm with 140 they both shoot the same.  

this year i shot 2 doe with bt and a big bodied mule deer with the accubond.  one doe i shot was with a 200gr out of my 338, went about 20yrds down hill.  the other doe took a 115 from a 25-06 and it was game over when the bullet hit her ribs.  the 338 made a big hole going out but it was trough the ribs.  the 115gr poked a neat hole goning in and a small one going out.

the mule deer took a shot from 300 on the shoulder, not the rifles falt, it was mine the angle was funny and the bullet hit were the cross hairs were.  it broke his shoulder and then i hit again when he was trotting at 415yrds right behind the shoulder and it exited the shoulder i allready shot.  his insides were mush.

i think the accubond is a  better bullet.
Let the heavens decide.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
Accubonds
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 03:50:22 AM »
I'm finding that the accubonds are just as accurate as the BTs. They also have the advantage that the tip doesn't get all messed up by loading and emptying the magazine repeatedly like the Partitions tend to get. There is no Accubond in 165 grains so for my 30-06 I using the Hornady Interbond. I find them just as accurate as the Hornady SSTs. I use the SSTs and Nosler BTs for my practice loads and the Interbonds and Accubonds as my hunting loads since the SSTs and BTs cost less. I still use Partitons until I run out (will take years).
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline kudzu

• A Real Regular
  • (Dancoman)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 03:52:54 PM »
I shoot the swift scirocco in 7mm ultra mag. very accurate bullet. In the 30 cal. you can get 150, 165 or 180 grainers. try em you won't be dissapointed. very pleased with bullet performance on deer.

Offline jro45

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 05:42:26 AM »
I don't like those bt bullets. I shoot Hornady, Nosler, & Serria. Those BT bullets would be good for bear. I have never shot the swift scirocco or the accubonds. Their accuracy sounds good. :D

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 10:22:52 AM »
kenscot,

I gave up on Nosler’s Ballistic Tips for big game after finding out they weren’t designed to hold together at velocities over 2,900 fps.(this is according to the Nosler technicians).  The AccuBonds may very well work fine but I found something even better.  Just switch to Barnes TSX bullets and forget the rest.  Better penetration using lighter weight bullets with equal or better accuracy.  Barnes TSX bullets have switched me over from being a Nosler Partition drum beater.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:38:58 PM »
talk about timing...

I was thinking about trying the Barnes Triple shocks in .300 wm when I get the sendero, and I go lurking to see Lawdog mentions them  :-)

whats this about them reducing pressure and barrel fouling?

their BC is quite good so I guess those 2 dont matter in the end.

Looking forward to trying them   :D

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 09:09:08 AM »
sniperVLS,

whats this about them reducing pressure and barrel fouling?

The pressure issue I can't comment on. As far as fouling goes though comparing the Barnes X bullets to the new TSX, the TSX leaves way less copper fouling in the bore than the X bullet does.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline sniperVLS

• Remington & Sig Sauer addict!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 10:34:42 AM »
Interesting, thanks for the reply.

My.308 VLS barrel seems to retain more copper fouling compared to my friends, who has the same gun, caliber, and we shoot the same ammo. Im going by sight mind you.

Ill have to try it out with the .308 instead of waiting for the Sendero, ordering some now  :D

Thanks again.

Offline cal sibley

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 07:51:04 AM »
I only use the Nosler Balistic Tips in my .224s and .243s.  They do the job and the accuracy is excelent.  However in any calibers larger than that I prefer the Nosler Accubonds.  I think they're more solidly constructed, and that's what I'm after.  Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
RIP Cal you are missed by many.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 10:45:20 AM »
Is there a factory loading in the TSX?   I have a new .270 that needs a favorite load.

pepaw

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 11:18:08 AM »
Quote from: PEPAW
Is there a factory loading in the TSX?   I have a new .270 that needs a favorite load.

pepaw

Federal has the PREMIUM VITAL*SHOK®

#P270L    270 Win., 130 gr. Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet

Great load for most of whatever you to hunt.  Lawdog

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 02:59:31 AM »
Thanks.     Sounds perfect.

pepaw

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 07:58:02 AM »
My 30-06's shoot 180-gr. loads very well, so I stay with this bullet for everything.

Deer = 180-gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and Solid Bases
Elk = 180-gr. Partitions

Once the above ammo is used up, I plan on switching to the AccuBond for everything!
45 ACP 230-gr. Double Tap Gold Dot = 1,010 fps / 15.3" & .95"    :D

Aim for the Triangle Area between armpits & throat.

Offline cal sibley

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »
I think the Nosler Ballistic Tips are wonderfully accurate in .224 and 6mm.
but don't use them in larger calibers because I feel the jacket is too thin for a good hunting bullet.   I much prefer the Nosler Accubonds and Partitions which are more suitable.  I understand Nosler is making the jackets thicker on the ballistic tips now, but I still doubt it is enough.  Just one persons opinion.  Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
RIP Cal you are missed by many.

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 05:42:24 PM »
FYI:

Nosler says that beginning with the 30 caliber 180-gr. Ballistic Tips (and larger), the jacket's profile is changed or upgraded to a much stronger contour similar to the AccuBond (shown below). The lead core is also hardened over the 165-gr. and below bullets.

Lighter weight bullets like 165-gr. 30 caliber and lower (shown below) do not have the thicker contour which starts in the middle of the shell and goes down to the base.

In summary, one might suggest that the 180-gr. Ballistic Tip is simply a non-bonded AccuBond.

Caution:

* Standard bullets generally perform better on deer in lighter to mid-weight sizes.

* Ballistic Tipped rounds are the exception to the rule as outlined in the opening post. Reported problems of a BT blowing up too quickly are generally associated with too light of a bullet.

Steve

P.S.

I like a bullet to perform two things in my 30-06:

1. Violent expansion / shock.
2. Plenty of penetration for a pass-through.

Nosler makes 4 great rounds to accomplish any North American task - listed in order of toughness:

1. Ballistic Tip
2. Solid Base
3. AccuBond
4. Partition

* Light skinned / boned deer: 180-gr. Ballistic Tip / Solid Base / AccuBond

Offline 147 Grain

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 05:44:48 PM »
Ballistic Tip Overview

Ballistic Tips (BT's) were designed by Nosler for violent expansion / explosion and medium penetration on light skin type animals like deer.

For most calibers shooting fragile BT's, you're better off using heavier projectiles with bigger Sectional Density's (SD's) than you would normally use for a regularly constructed bullet.

Why?

1. Heavier bullets for caliber are better in a BT because they tone down the violent expansion a bit and still have enough weight leftover for a complete pass-through.

2. The shock-value with the heavier BT will still be more than lighter standard bullets and you get more energy on target.

3. Short range shots also suit the larger round with a higher SD versus lighter weight BT'd bullets with less mass.

4. Raking quartering-away shots obviously benefit from a heavier round for adequate penetration.

5. A larger BT'd bullet is also more forgiving if you shoot accidently into the shoulder.

Offline kombi1976

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 03:15:21 PM »
Is anyone using the 8mm 180gn BT?
If so how do they shoot for you?
I've got some I'm loading in my 8x57 at the moment but so far they haven't been amazing.
That said, I was using iron sights and they usually don't work for me.
Always been dodgy with open sights. :(  :D
8)

Cheers & God Bless

.22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 NE 3"