Author Topic: Gibson's  (Read 540 times)

Offline tipiguy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Gibson's
« on: July 21, 2005, 04:02:52 PM »
A buddy of mine is selling a rifle with a 3x9 Gibson's scope.  I never heard of a Gibson's before.  It does say "Japan" on the bottom which makes me think it may be a decent scope.  Anyone ever heard of this brand?  Were they a cheap, moderate, or expensive scope?  Are they good scopes or chep scopes?

Thanks for the help.

Tipiguy

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Gibson's
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 04:06:41 PM »
A lot of years ago we had a Gibson's department store near here. They were back then at least a pretty large chain store. I think they went bankrupt but am not sure of that. They went away regardless. Might be a store branded product from them. If so it's likely very old technology and not worth much.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
Gibson's
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 04:47:49 PM »
GB.  I saw a Gibson's discount center a couple of years ago in Jackson, TN.  I think they are still in business, but much smaller than they were in the 60's and 70's.........

I did a search on Gibson's discount center and got several hits.....don't know if they are the same chain that did business across the south in years past.....
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Gibson's
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 05:57:12 PM »
That sure brings back some memories. I bought my first new centerfire
handgun at a Gibson Discount Store in Paragould AR. when I was in college (mid-70's). It was a Smith Mod. 29 8 3/8" nickle with presentation
case & all! I don't even remember what I did with that gun & I haven't
seen a Gibson's in Ar. in many years!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline ourabmen

• Trade Count: (0)
Gibson's
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 08:08:22 PM »
Gibsons's!!!! Eh-gad man!  That name does stir up a lot of memories from my child hood.  My father, who is the the MOST devout bargain hunter I know, used to make the rounds through there every Saturday morning with us kids in tow.  

He bought me my first my first rifle there, a .22 single shot that I still have to this day.  His best purchase is a Browning Auto 5 Light 12 purchased in 1971.  The gun has had five rounds put through it and is still in the original box and wax paper.  Dad is holding on to it as an heir loom for me one day.  

I cant offer an opinion on the scope's quality as a hunting tool.  But it certainly has a lot of nostalgic value.

Sincerely,

OUrabmen
OUrabmen

Offline tipiguy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 04:10:46 PM »
Thanks for all the help.  
Tipiguy