Author Topic: Came home with two new USH's today!  (Read 663 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Came home with two new USH's today!
« on: April 30, 2005, 05:24:29 PM »
I had to take a trip to the gun shop to get a scope mounted on a 20 ga. youth model USH that I ordered for my son.

I also took my deer gun along with the anticipation of getting a new scope for myself.  Well the light went on that putting a $200 scope on my 870 probably wasn't going to make it shoot any better than the scope I had on it already (a Simmons 1.5x5x20 that I had for a number of years).

Still wanting and willing to pay for a new scope, I posed a question to the dealer of what he was willing to give me in trade for my gun.  Well it was a no brainer when he came back and said he give me an even trade, my 870 set-up for a new 12 gauge USH Deluxe .  Without any hesitation, I told him "Put the scope on it!" .

So we both came home happy:
.....my son with his 20 gauge USH Y/M  mounted with a 1.5x4.5 Bushnell
.....dad with his 12 gauge USH Deluxe  mounted with a 2x7 Leupold

My son's eager to grow a few more inches so he can get an adult size laminate stock and fore end put on his to look like dad's.  By that time I'm going to grow tired of lugging that heavy gun around and I'll be eyeing his 20 gauge.  This will work out well for both of us.  It'll be like getting a new gun all over again!
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 06:02:01 PM »
Congrats on the new Slug Guns...I think you'll both goona like them...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 03:31:48 AM »
Congrats. You came up with the best solution to the 20ga vs 12ga debate.Buy both. Enjoy them. I've never heard anyone disapointed with the performance of either.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Slug Guns
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 04:46:28 AM »
:biggun:  Enjoy the new guns, let us know how they shoot :-) .
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »
Way to go...Welcome to the club and keep up the good work...You will not be dissapointed.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:41:36 PM »
Well it's only been 3 months since I bought them but we finally got out to the range today.

One word to sum it up: "WOW"!

I zeroed-in my 12 ga at 25 yds with some copper solids I had left over from last year. Right out of the box shot after shot were almost touching with no flyers in between

Moved out to 50 and even though the 12 ga liked the Lightfields it loved the Barnes Expanders. First two with the Barnes were almost touching a inch high and an inch right. A few clicks later there was a 3 shot cloverleaf in the bullseye.

Never ever was I able to shoot with such accuracy and consistency with my 870.

The boy did good for his first time ever at the range with his 20 gauge. I think one more trip is all it will take and he'll be right there.

As far as all the discussions about the recoil in the 12 gauge, to that I'll answer with a question: "what recoil?" Compared to my old 870 the 12 ga USH was like shooting a BB gun. Grant it these weren't the 1900 fps rounds, and the Lightfields kicked a bit more than the copper solids and Barnes', but overall recoil was an after thought. 35 rounds later my shoulder feels just like it did this morning!

I would really appreciate to hear any comments on the following though:

After about 20 rounds both my and my son's accuracy seemed to diminish. Grant it it was a hot 90 degree afternoon and we were both getting tired, but I wonder if it might of had to do more with the barrel overheating and fouling. I cleaned his out after about 20 some rounds but it didn't seem to change things much.

What might your range method be that you've found the best to get on target and stay on target. At $12 a box it pays to shoot efficiently?

Thanks
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline BoneDigger

cool
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 05:31:33 AM »
Sounds like you had a good trip to the range!  I am no expert on this so take my advice with a grain of salt...

I heard that you should never shoot a gun more than 10-15 rounds before cleaning the barrel and letting it cool down.  I can't verify this since I usually don't follow that advice.  You could shoot 10 rounds and put the gun aside, let the boy shoot a few rounds and then swap back to the 12.  It's an idea anyway.

Todd

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 07:13:38 PM »
I would check the scope mounts and the scopes...slugs generate a-lot of recoil...and the scope mount need to be taken off and cleaned and have loc-tite put back on...

Mac.
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...