Author Topic: What's the cheapest junk scope you've ever owned?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline wildman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What's the cheapest junk scope you've ever owned?
« on: January 08, 2003, 02:56:35 AM »
It might be interesting to see what kind of junk we've all owned at one time or another.  You know - Trashco, BSA(Bad Scopes Anonymous), etc.  Come on, you've got to admit that most of us at one time bought at least one form of crap before wising up.

For me, BSA wins hands down.  I once bought a brand new BSA 30mm Red Dot scope for $30.  I suppose that should have been a wake up call on its own.  Anyways, the thing never would center on my target @ 25yds.  It was mounted on a Colt 1911 with a B-Square mount.  Long story short, upon examination, I noticed the windage screw hole was shaped like an oval and the threads were catching the adj screw on 2 sides only.  This thing came fubared from the factory.  I was lucky enough to take it back for a full refund from the local sporting good shop.  Needless to say, I will never own anything with the BSA name on it again.
The intruder turns around slowly, sees both barrels, and hears a low-deep voice say "Son, the left one's iron and the right one's steel, if the left one don't get you, the right one will"

Offline Zachary

What's the cheapest junk scope you've ever
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2003, 03:51:31 AM »
The "cheapest" scope that I have ever owned was a Nikon 3.5x-10x-40mm.  I bought it when I was about 20 years old and it cost about $300.00.

Even before I owned my first scope I realized the importance of good optics. :wink:

Zachary

Offline KN

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2003, 07:03:30 AM »
One of those chineese SKS scopes. No sooner got it sighted in and the guts fell apart. Made your target look like a four leaf clover. Thought I was going blind.  KN

Offline KYODE

cheap scopes
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2003, 10:09:50 AM »
i had a 3x9x38 bushnell sportview that i gave $35 for brand new. believe it or not, probably one of the best cheapies i've had. the new sportsman series suck, i bought one and didn't keep it long. a feller can find a good buy once in a while at a fleamarket. i bought a simmons 2x7 handgun scope for $60, it was like new and probably worth at least twice that. sometimes it's not what you pay that matters. :-)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2003, 10:41:36 AM »
Weaver B4.

Anyone old enough to remember that one?

Seems it might have been on a 1/2" diameter tube. Don't seem like it was quite 3/4" anyway. Cross hairs were NOT constantly centered and when you made much adjustment could be really near the outer edge of tube. Lens were crappy and uncoated. Got to be the sorriest excuse for a scope ever made by any company.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline cpobb

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 11:14:04 AM »
This doesn't quite fit here but I picked up one of those BSA laser sights just for kicks for 30 bucks. (heard this before? git what ya pay fer) I mounted it on a 9mm carbine with almost no recoil, yet the point of impact would change over a foot between shots.....at 15 yds!  Now I use it as a toy to play with the cats. Works good for that!

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2003, 01:20:04 PM »
Here is a sad story.  

I put a $30 Tasco scope on my wifes M788 to prove to her that cheap scopes don't last.  In 15+ years it has never fogged up or lost it's zero. It has been used by her, by me, and even loaned out several times, so it hasn't been babied. Still is nice and clear. Now I have a hard time justifing the purchase of good scopes on my rifles.

Hud :cry:
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Zachary

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2003, 03:42:44 AM »
Hud,

I believe you, but believe me - your experience is a RARE exception.

Zachary

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2003, 12:58:02 PM »
My mother's M788 came with a Universal scope that dad left on there until I got into high school.  I then bought a B&L 3000 3X9 and man what a difference!  That universal sucked!!! But I guess when you pay $99 for a new rifle and new scope, that's what you get, at least the rifle was a winner!
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Willyp

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2003, 10:35:12 AM »
B.S.A.,by far the worst and darkest. I'm waiting to find some one i don't like and I'm going to give it to them  !!
Willyp

Offline Flatlander.54

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2003, 03:46:29 AM »
In my opinion Simmons scopes are some of the worst junk out there. Ive never owned a BSA, after inspecting one at the gun shop I just laughed and thought ot myself...no way in hell.
"Beware the man who owns but one gun...he likely knows how to use it."

Offline Selmer

• Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2003, 11:43:47 AM »
What does everyone have against Simmons scopes?  I'll admit the only one I own is an Aetec, but it's sharp, clear, has good adjustments and fits my .308 very well.  It's aided in the killing of many deer and once I got the damn bases to stay put on it, the point of impact hasn't moved in three years.  Some of their cheaper scopes must be pretty crappy from the feedback I hear about on here
Selmer
"Next to the glory of God, music deserves the highest praise"-Martin Luther
Any homo sapien with the proper chromosomes can be labeled a father, but it takes a man to be called "Daddy"-unknown

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2003, 05:54:57 AM »
The high dollar scopes; Leupold, Burris, and those more expensive are naturally better than the Tascos, Simmons and other so called cheap scopes.

But I do believe that the cheap scope of today are way better than the high dollar brand scopes of years ago. I've got a new Simmons that is way better than some of my old Weavers, Redfields, and Leupolds.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline John (Rojo)

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2003, 03:04:09 PM »
It was in the very early 60's.  I was a about 13-14 Yrs. old.  I had just got a Mossberg .22 with the pull down front forend.  It had 1/2" J.C. Penney scope on it.  I remember adjusting the elevation turret when it came out of the saddle and fell on the ground after a couple of clicks.  My buddies couldn't stop laughing.  
John (Rojo)

Offline SeanD

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2003, 03:54:02 AM »
Tasco world class 3-9x40.  Dad bought one for my sisters .308 and we were both very impressed with the optics.  In my eyes slightly better than the 3-9x40 varix2 leupold we each had on our 300 win mags at the time.  So we bought four more.  Dad still has one on a 7mm-08, and i have one on a 10/22.  In less than two years three out of the five scopes were trashed due to recoil.  A .308, 7 rem mag, and a 30.06 did them in.  This was about four years ago, and the two others are fine to this day.  I think dad is gonna switch to leupold on the 7-08, and ill just keep shooting the .22 until it breaks.  Who knows maybe it will last forever.  I dont have any confidence in them, id never risk one on a big game rifle again.  Im sticking with leupold now, durability and confidence in your gear ranks pretty high on my list.
sean

Offline helobill

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2003, 05:38:01 PM »
Well,
Tough to say. Worst sighting device I had was an Accudot red dot I hung on my SRH 44. Battery would shift and the red dot would disappear every time I fired. You'd have to fidget with the battery cover and it would come back on. Called the factory and they said they could repair it (at my expense for the repair and for shipping both ways) which would have worked out to more than I paid for it originally. Gave it away to someone that likes to monkey with things. Worst scope was an old Tasco that I inherited from a buddy and hung on a shotgun, it was all wavy around the edges (it eventually went in the dumpster). Like the Burris on one of my  contenders and have an OLD simmons on another Contender that has given me great service and is very bright and clear. Has never fogged even when going from the car to -5 degrees. Crosshairs are a copper color vice black, don't know if that's cause the color fell of or if it came that way. I bought it used about 15 years ago.
Helicopter Bill

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2003, 07:02:25 AM »
I bought a Simons .22 3x9 for my daughter's .22.It wouldn't focus well and it is the worst scope I've bought. In 1977 I bought a Bushnell Sportview 3x9 for $30.It was the best I could afford at the time.I hunted with that scope for 10 years before retiring it.It did fog up one season when it rained every day for a week. It was junk but it held zero.