Author Topic: Nikon LX 8X32 Binos opinions?  (Read 482 times)

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
Nikon LX 8X32 Binos opinions?
« on: July 19, 2005, 05:23:27 AM »
Anyone have these? I'm wanting to try a them but will probably have to purchace to get a look. Does anyone have any experiences with them?

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 10:37:19 AM »
Obviously some of the best.  I have looked through them but do not own a pair.  Wish I did.  And I might soon as a New York camera house currently have reconditioned Nikon binoculars with full warranty on sale right now.  John Barsness (Optics for the Hunter) says they are among the best.  Here is a birder review where they are considered the reference to which all others are compared: http://www.betterviewdesired.com/10-02/nikon.html
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline centershot

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 07:55:43 AM »
Which camera shop are you refering to? I'm interested in the refurbs also, looks like a way to get premium binos for a good price. Thanks.

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Nikon LX 8X32 Binos opinions?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:19:18 AM »
Quote from: centershot
Anyone have these? I'm wanting to try a them but will probably have to purchace to get a look. Does anyone have any experiences with them?

Greetings!

I own a pair of these, along with their smaller 10x25 compact "cousins".
The Nikon LX (actually, the proper model name is "HG" - "LX" is a marketing name for the U.S. market) are magnificent binoculars, with a few exceptions.

The Nikon LX are probably the highest contrast and color saturated binoculars I have ever used, with crystal clear optics that bring colors and shadings to vibrant life.  They are also some of the sharpest edge-to-edge binoculars available, especially the 10x25 configuration.  Brightness of image is not quite up to par with high end Swarovski, Leica, and especially Zeiss binoculars, but the Nikons are not dim by any stretch of imagination - just not quite as bright as the more expensive brands.  I would say if you rated Zeiss FL binoculars at 100% then the Nikon LX would probably be around 93% to 95%, but that's just a rough estimate on my part.

Ergonomically, they feel VERY good in the hands - but they are a bit heavier than most competing models from other manufacturers.  Typical Zeiss, Leica, Etc. 8x32 binoculars weigh in at about 21-23 ounces, the Nikon LX weighs in at over 27 ounces.  This might or might not be important to you.  The diopter adjust is a locking ring that is so well designed I wish every other binocular manufacturer would adopt it as standard equipment - it is as perfect a mechanism as I've ever seen.  The central focus control is also beautifully designed, smooth and tight with just the right amount of resistance.  However, many people have complained that the focus is "too fast", with a touch more sensitivity than most other binoculars of similar quality, but I personally feel that Nikon did it just right, I enjoy the rapid focus and have grown quite adept at using it.  The rubber armoring is tough and grippy, these would be quite hard to damage with normal use.

One last thing - the newer Nikon LXL (HGL) models are quite a bit lighter weight, I think they've shaved off about 4-5 ounces and made them comparable to other high-end manufacturers on the weight issue - but they've also tacked on quite a bit to the price, so make sure it is worth it to you before buying one of the newer models.  The optics on the newer "L" models are EXACTLY the same as the older models, the main difference is the weight and multi-position eyecup adjustment instead of the older dual position eyecups.  I personally don't think the newer "L" models are worth the extra $$$, especially since the older models are still widely available at sometimes dramatic discounts.

Hope all this helps, good luck with your binocular purchase!
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline centershot

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 06:11:35 AM »
Just put in an order for the 8X32LX, cant wait.  If they are as good as everyone says, I'll probably have my Pentax DCF SP 10X43's up for sale!