Author Topic: Thinking about buying a 94, some ?'s  (Read 1044 times)

Offline MIdeerhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Thinking about buying a 94, some ?'s
« on: April 02, 2005, 01:52:17 PM »
Hello everyone, now in my collection i have two winchesters, a 88 in .308 and a X-150 in .50, well i have been looking at the 94's lately...they look like pretty nice guns and have been around for a quite a long time so they must be decent....are they pretty good guns? reliable? durable? can you take them apart and clean them(i know the model 88 is extremely hard to do due to experiences in the past)....what caliber should i look for? it will be used for deer hunting...i was thinking either .30-30 or .45-70 because i always wanted a .45-70 and i hunt in thick areas ( i know a brush buster is an oxymoron but i would  think it would be neat to have). which caliber would be better in your opionion, do the 94's have any problems? also im going to buy one used...what would be a good price range for one? not super good condition or super bad condition just decent...with blued barrel also...thanks!
New England Fireams Tracker II plus (USHD) 12 ga
.223 handi rifle
1903A3 Springfield in 6mm rem.
rem. 870 supermag
ruger 10/22
win. x-150
winchester model 88
savage 24

Offline Ramrod

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 04:17:36 PM »
As far as I know, the 1894 was never made in .45-70, but you can get a new one in .450 Marlin. A .30-30 is plenty of gun for deer. For routine cleaning, I don't see any reason to take one apart.
"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine." Patti Smith

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 05:02:00 PM »
Yeppers, Ramrod is right. Winchester does not list a new .45-70 in their online catalog. The .450 I hear is a kicker, and a .30-.30 will knock a deer on it's rear end. But I've been eyeing a 94 for sometime b/c my grandpa's was stolen a few years ago :evil: . Good luck with your decision.  :D
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 07:18:47 AM »
If you check the SMALLER pawn shops, you may be able to "sneak up on a deal."  Many people that buy guns from pawn shops won't even look at the older level actions if they are priced over $150 UNLESS they know what the gun is worth.  You can try talking the price down, especially if it's been on the rack for a while.  Chances are, the pawn shop picked the gun up for much less than it was really worth (guy needs money quick, and just needs cash for "this old gun").  You may be able to get it a 94 for under $200.

If you want something a little different, try to find a 32 Win Spl.  It was my first deer rifle, and was inherited from my grandpa.  I still use it WAY more than my 30-30s when I am headed into heavy brush.  The bullet is a bit bigger (although still 150 or 170 grain), but you they are still a bit of a novelty.  Ammo is still cheap too...same price as 30-30.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Tycer

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 05:53:14 AM »
A .357 is a solid hunting round for deer. 200gr LBT style will bleed them out fast.

Read Veral Smiths "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" chapter 17 on stopping power.
Thanks to you''uns from WNC,

Tycer

There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness
                                            -Yancey Davis

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
Re: Thinking about buying a 94, some ?'s
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 09:00:04 PM »
Quote from: MIdeerhunter
Hello everyone, now in my collection i have two winchesters, a 88 in .308 and a X-150 in .50, well i have been looking at the 94's lately...they look like pretty nice guns and have been around for a quite a long time so they must be decent....are they pretty good guns? reliable? durable? can you take them apart and clean them(i know the model 88 is extremely hard to do due to experiences in the past)....what caliber should i look for? it will be used for deer hunting...i was thinking either .30-30 or .45-70 because i always wanted a .45-70 and i hunt in thick areas ( i know a brush buster is an oxymoron but i would  think it would be neat to have). which caliber would be better in your opionion, do the 94's have any problems? also im going to buy one used...what would be a good price range for one? not super good condition or super bad condition just decent...with blued barrel also...thanks!

I love lever guns.  I have two 94s in 30-30.  One is a Ranger the other an AE with teh walnut stock.  I have a 45/70 Guide Gun.  The 94s do handle faster and are lighter.  I got the guide gune for hogs/bears and maybe deer.  I get bored hunting with the same gun all the time.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 04:13:48 PM »
I have a standard grade relatively new M94 30-30. I was shocked to see a horribly stocked one in wallyworld the other day. The cheap ranger models Wallyworld gets must be stocked in the same lumber packing crates are made of, it was ugly wood. I got my plane jane M94 from a K-mart about 8 years ago. Up until recently the M94 had no real safety button. you had to squeeze the grip to disengage one safety, and it had a half cock notch. Some time a while ago they added a cross block safety to the M94. It works well, but looks sort of ugly. This is the model I have. Now the M94 comes with a tang mounted safety like a double shotgun almost. It still has the grip safety, but now the hammer is sort of rebounding, so you don't need to pull it back to half cock.

M94's do need a tall scope mount, but the new ones can have a scope mounted over the bore because they have "angle eject", which is to say, they pitch the empties at about 45 degrees from vertical to the right. The old ones throw empties straight up so if you have a scope, you need to mount it to the side or in front of the action.

The M94 is a little tricky to take 100% apart to clean, but you don't really need to. I clean mine from the muzzle with a brass muzzle protector. I lay the gun flat with the ejector port down so all of the crud doesn't fall into the mechanism. I then clean out the mechanisim with the lever open. It works pretty well. My M94, with just factory iron sights, can throw MOA groups from a stable bench rest. My 150 grain homeloads used to be able to do a half inch at 50 yards. While sighting back in for 170s at 100 yards I shot a 1 inch 3 shot group. Of course the rifle is sand bagged in front with my left fist under the buttstock, and I am trying my hardest to squeeze off accurate shots, but yeah, it is technically a MOA accurate rifle I guess. Some are bound to be better and some worse though.

I always used 150 grain bullets, except for a breif stint with 110 grain hollowpoint homeloads. Now I am going to give 170s a try. The original bullet for the 30-30 was 165 grains, and 170 is closer than 150, and I am a very traditionalist hunter. Besides, the 170s shoot very tight groups for me.

If you go into a sporting goods store you might see some really old m94's and they will be very pricey. A good used one from the cross block safety days might not be quite as attractive, but it might be cheaper.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.