Author Topic: New Scope for a AR15 Varmint Rifle  (Read 1287 times)

Offline 2Guns

• Trade Count: (0)
New Scope for a AR15 Varmint Rifle
« on: July 22, 2005, 08:04:36 AM »
I have a new Rock River (AR15) Varmint 16" bbl that I want to mount a low to mid power scope.  I will use the rifle for range work out to 200 yards, but mostly 100 yds or less, some informal varmint shooting and general shooting fun.   I don't like the low powered scopes with the 20mm front objective, I just don't like their looks.  Factors that are important to me are weight, overall quality of the optics, and price. (preferrably 300 or so)

I have narrowed it down to three top picks and two distant options, I would appreciate hearing from you on your picks and why.

Nikon Monarch UCC 2x7x32
Leupold VXII 2x7x33
Weaver Grand Slam 1.5x5x32

These look good but are a little too heavy for my purposes (keeping the over all wieght of the rifle down)

Bushnell 4200 1.5x6x36
Burris Signature Select 1.75x5x32

Thanks
2Guns

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »
Those are some really tough choices.  I personally like the Monarch.  It is a great scope for the money and is hard to beat.  But the Weaver Grand Slam is an excellent choice also.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline 2Guns

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 08:42:11 AM »
Thanks Jon for the comment, I like the Weaver as well, but you don't hear to many good things about them.  They seem to have a bad rep not sure why?

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 09:14:48 AM »
Weaver had went thru some difficult times.  I remember growing up, my Dad has many Weavers and they are very good scopes.  Than they sold out and they went down hill.  But since Meade and bought them out, they are starting to turn things around.  They just have to get rid of that old reputation and I think they are starting to do that, but very slow.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 12:15:10 PM »
Don't over look the Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7 since that seems to be a power range you're looking for. I have one on my Rem. 700 LSS Mtn. Rifle in 7-08 which is my primary hunting rifle. It's a solid choice for less money than the Nikon or Leupold. The wife has the Elite 4200 1.75-6 on hers. That's  NICE scope but is a tad big and heavy for the power range. But oh so clear and bright.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 07:37:01 AM »
2guns;

I'm gonna athrow a curve ball here.
I've just mounted a Leupold 2.5X8X36 on my Bushmaster AR-15 Varmiter.
I had a Sightron 3X12X42AO on it and it looked good and shot good.
But, like you, I wanted a smaller scope. I mounted the Leupold and have been well pleased. And my Bushmaster has a 24 inch barrel. It was orginally on my Rem. Model 7FS in 7mm-08 w/ a 18-1/2" barrel.
Just a thought.

Dennis  :D