Author Topic: Which scope would you choose  (Read 1252 times)

Offline tikkahunter03

• Trade Count: (0)
Which scope would you choose
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:07:16 AM »
Hey all,  Well I have decided to go with either a Nikon monarch 3.5-10 or a leupold VX-II in 3-9.  Which scope has better light transmission?  Which is clearer in the lower power settings and also the upper ones as well.  I know about the leupold warranty, but what about the Nikon what does it have?  Also where is the Nikon manufactured?  Thanks for all your input.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:20:46 AM »
Nikon......equal or better optics for less money w/ same warranty.

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 11:46:24 AM »
Gien the terrible customer support from Burris I will run from any of their products.

Leupold makes a great scope I have the 2-7x on a combo gun and it works great.  Plus the warranty is transferable if you ever sell the scope.

No experience with the Nikon.

You should also look at the Bushnell.

Doug

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 12:58:20 PM »
tikkahunter03, you have asked a question that every one that has there brand will be the best in there opinion. You need to look at them all and make an informed decision for yourself.  :D

But my vote goes to Leupold.  :-D  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:26:06 PM »
Well said Redhawk!!  Oh by the way, get the Nikon. :wink:
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 02:31:24 PM »
Quote from: Grubbs
Nikon......equal or better optics for less money w/ same warranty.

i hate to admite to it but im with him on this one :0(
i would go with the nikon over the us mad leupold

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 04:58:54 PM »
LEUPOLD!!! :roll:
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 05:06:21 PM »
Nikon!!! More for your money!! :wink:

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 05:21:12 PM »
Neither. Bushnell. More value for the money than either of them. But really comparing a Monarch to a VX-II is not a fair comparison. Money aside the Monarh line is superior to the VX-II line. You should be comparing it to the VX-III line if you want a more fair comparison.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 04:25:26 AM »
I like Leupold but not their standard duplex. It's too narrow for me. I like Nikon Monarchs. I'd get a Nikon 3x9. IMHO if the shot is too long for 9x and you don't regularly practice at ranges over 300 yards in field shooting positions you need to move closer. I don't and 6x is plenty on the top end for me.  :wink:
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 07:39:06 AM »
I am totally impressed with my Nikon Monarch 3-9.  VERY clear and bright and seems to hold zero well so far(only 3 years old).  Nikon claims 95% light transmission which I think is the highest posted by a manufacturer. From what I uderstand, that's about has high light transmission that is possible through a scope(I may be wrong but have read it several times, take it for what it's worth).  It lists 3.5-3.6" of eye relief from 3-9x.  I cannot for the life of me tell .1" of eye relief shift when I change magnification.  The reticle is of perfect size for ME and is coal black.  Even if money wasn't an issue, if I was to buy a 3-9X40 scope right now it would be another Nikon Monarch.

Offline BoarHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 11:58:23 PM »
None of the percentage of light transmission published are measured according to well defined standard. SO difficult to compare one brand to an other based on these figures.
Besides,most of the time  it is for ONE lens, so the more lenses you have, the more losses.

Nikon is of course a good brand.

Sharpness is a key factor to consider. What use for a scope if you can't distinguish antlers from twigs ?

Scopes of this kind are just expensive carry handles for your gun.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 08:01:52 AM »
I go with Redhawk's advise.  Go to a place and compare them side-by-side.  For each person it is different.

I have always been a fan of Nikon products.  I use their riflescopes as well as camera lenses, they are great and I have been happy with their products.  However, I compared Nikon Monarch 3.4-10 vs. Bushnell 4200 2.5-10 vs Leo Vx-III 3.5-10 (I think new model, salesman didn’t know) and Zeiss conquest 3-9 at my local GM.  After looking thru Zeiss , although it doesn’t have the range of magnification that the others do, Zeiss clearly was the best.  This was based on clarity and visible FOV (although Nikon and Bushnell have wider FOV on paper).  My ranking is the following: Zeiss 3-9, Bushnell 2.5-10, Nikon 3.4-10 and Leo 3.5-10.  Zeiss goes for $413.02 at Ultimate Outdoors and is about a $100 more expensive than the next two.

Make sure you do a side-by-side comparison and you will never be unhappy with your decision.  Good luck.

Offline moontroll

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 03:23:09 PM »
Their all good,I have the Monarch,vx111,vx11,Conquest and Elite 3200.between the monarch and the Leupold vx11 the monarch Has better light gathering abilities,But I like the sight picture and the forgiveness of eye relief of the leupold,so if it were my money with what I like in a scope I would choose the Elite 3200 4-12x40. :grin:

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 08:46:44 AM »
Check out the Bushnell 4200, you will be impressed.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Rodney

Please read
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 02:34:03 PM »
:D  :D Hello all,

Today I looked through several scopes that I am planning on putting on my 30-30 AI  Marlin 336. I looked at the Nikon 3x9x40, the Leupold VX II Ultra-lite, VX III 2.5x8x36, Bushnell 3200 3x9x40, Bushnell 2.5x10x40, Sightron SII 2.5x10x32 , Weaver Grand Slam 3x10x40.

Believe it  or not..to my eyes (20-20) The Leupold VX II Ultra-lite 3x9x33 was the winner.

I am not a Luepold Fan..I will repeat , I am not a Luepold fan. I have always thought they were over priced for the optical quality.
I have scopes on my current guns from Zeiss ,Kahles,Bushnell  3200 and 4200 and Sightron.

The little 3x9x33 was optically outstanding. In fact I put it on lay-a way.  

In fact, I called Leupold today and asked them how could a VX II beat a VX III in optical resolution. The only answer I got was at times the lens match perfectly and optical resolution it at a high .

On a depressing note: Leupold scopes are only assembled in the USA. The optics and internal parts are made in China. This was confirmed today by Leupold .

Depressing ...there are no "true" scope companies left in the good old USA.

Thanks