Author Topic: One of the two best 357's ever made.....  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
One of the two best 357's ever made.....
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2005, 02:17:57 AM »
The NYS Police had the Model 13 issued to them for a while before they had to drop down to the 9mm.  The Model 13, as with all K frame S&W 357s handled the full house 158 gn police loads without problems.  When they decided to go to the 125 gn high speed hollow-points the Model 13s suffered the same problems the Model 19s did when using that type of ammo.  The more rapidly buring powders would etch the uderside of teh topstrap, which was not a problem, but at the same time the gases would eat away at the spacers, or whatever thay are called to manage end shake, and cause a number of functional problems for those revolvers.  One they stopped using the high speed bullets the problems went away.

But, I have never heard of a forcing cone craking on one of those revolvers.  

I used to use a Model 19 4" for silly-wets.  I shot the heavy 200 gn loads and never had a problem with either of the three M19s I used.  Once, just for the hay of it, a State Trooper who I knew came by one of our silhouette shoots and let me use his personal M13 - now this wa with fixed sights, and although I had to hold high (almost ran out of front sight) I was still able to knock over the 100 yd targets.  I still see them at shows now and then, they are solid and reliable with the proper loads.  Mikey.

Offline jro45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2005, 03:05:26 AM »
oso45-70
 I have shot some fast 110gr bullets thru it at one time or another. Then I saw the forcing cone was cracked so I called S&W they said to send it back so I did. They put a new barrel on it and charged me $200.00 for it.
All was good til I shot some 158gr bullets going 1240 fps thru it and the forcing cracked again. So now I don't shoot that gun and bought a GP100
 and that gun can handle anything I put threw it. :D

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2005, 12:25:24 PM »
GP 100 yep they work.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired