Author Topic: Out of Round bullets  (Read 611 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Out of Round bullets
« on: September 24, 2005, 03:42:04 AM »
My boolits as cast are 2-4 thou out of round.  I get the same results from my Lee molds and also my Mountain Molds semi-custom.  I drop them onto about 4 thicknesses of bath towel to cushion the fall.

Do you think it's out of round cavities or do you think it's possible they're slumping a bit when I drop them onto the towel?  I'd thought about water dropping them to see if there's a difference.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline powderburner

• Trade Count: (0)
Out of Round bullets
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 07:23:14 AM »
It would seem to me that if all your moulds are dropping out of round you are doing something different. ,grip ,doopping to fast ,cutting spru too soon , loosening your grip before bullet hardens, or casting with a too hot mould,  ... just a few ideas .

or you are plumb unlucky in your mould buying ...... Dean

Offline ron haralson

out of round bullets
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 07:02:17 AM »
It seems to me the most likely cause of out  of round bullets is either lead spatter between the blocks or a set of damaged blocks that won't close properly. I've had trouble with Lee's moulds (usually after 10 yrs or more) coming out of round to the extent that you describe, the trouble being much worse and quicker with double cavity moulds.

Ron

Offline Lead pot

• A Real Regular
Out of Round bullets
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:12:46 PM »
HH,
Mike your cavity, if it is round and your blocks are clean it's most likely your opening the mould to soon and pulling the bullet out of round. after your sprue sets cut it and give it a slow 5 count, a little longer if your using an aluminum mould or if you cast hot, you will also see the bullet base change from shinney to a flatter apperence as the bullet sets.
When you open the mould do it by gently tapping the end of the mould handle not hard but gently and let the block open it self, then check it.
By the way if you have a mould that likes to hang on to the bullet you will find it will drop right out.

Kurt
Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.