Author Topic: Been wondering . . .  (Read 762 times)

Offline Calamity Jane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Been wondering . . .
« on: August 31, 2005, 10:10:10 AM »

When I look at a gun on a field carriage, a 6 pounder or a 12 pounder, they look downright beautiful! There's something about the lines of the piece, the symmetry of the large spoked wheels, the lines of the tapered barrel.

Am I weird or do others feel the same way?

If others feel the same, howz come mortars, Howitzers, 'n' other "stumpy" guns seem to be far more common and popular?

. . . just wondering . . . not casting dispersions at anyone's artillery . . .  :roll:
Calamity Jane
SASS 40978L

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 10:37:02 AM »
I know you made the wheels for your howitzer.  How long did that take counting making all the fixtures?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline John N

• Avid Poster
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:00:46 AM »
Calamity Jane,

I think mortars are popular because they offer a lot of "Bang" for the buck. Beer can mortars have a 2.7" bore diameter. A scale cannon with a bore that size would have a pretty big carriage. My 1/3rd scale 12 pounder field cannon has a golf ball sized bore and barely fits through my front door. Anything larger would have to be partially dismantled to store in the house when not in use.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Re: Been wondering . . .
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 01:18:54 PM »
Quote from: Calamity Jane

When I look at a gun on a field carriage, a 6 pounder or a 12 pounder, they look downright beautiful! There's something about the lines of the piece, the symmetry of the large spoked wheels, the lines of the tapered barrel.

I agree with you. To those that love Civil War Cannons there is nothing more pleasing or beautiful than the Field Piece.

I would suspect that when it comes to smaller scale mortar or cannonÂ’s, it is probably one of size and weight. You donÂ’t need a pickup truck or a trailer to move a mortar around.

Having owned several full-scale 2,000 pound  field pieces in the past and after two Hernia operations I am now with a half scale 350 pound field piece. It still requires a small 4x6 trailer to transport around, for I do not have a pickup truck.

Another advantage of the smaller scale is that one person can safely crew and shoot the piece. and yes I can cover the vent and safely service the muzzle end at the same time, if I have to.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 04:24:43 PM »
There are so many comparisons that could be made here -

between a person's love for artillary

and (fill in here with: art, beauty, music, poetry, a companion, and many more).

AND THEY ALL FIT!

How does one explain in logical terms the emotions involved?

I turn to the poetry of Rudyard Kippling.  (You may fill in here the titles of any number of his poems contrasting beauty and the choices we make.)
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Powder keg

• GBO Sponsor
  • GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 04:49:33 PM »
Hi, I'd love a full size field cannon! I'm building a 3/4 scale howitzer on a pack carriage, and am begining wonder where I'm going to put it. So size is a big issue. (no Jokes!!!) I have also been thinking of casting a 1/4 scale mountian howitzer, carriage, tail, barrel, and all. Just because I like the loooks of the fiels guns so much more than the mortars.
Wesley P.
"Powder Keg"
Custom Machine work done reasonable. I have a small machine shop and foundry. Please let me build your stuff. I just added Metal etching to my capabilities. I specialize in custom jobs.
"When the gun is lost, All is lost"

Offline CAV Trooper

• Avid Poster
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 05:44:44 PM »

If others feel the same, howz come mortars, Howitzers, 'n' other "stumpy" guns seem to be far more common and popular?

Jane,

You're certainly not weird and I feel the same way you do. A proper field piece, especially bronze like yours, is a thing of beauty and I WILL have one some day.  :grin:

Having said that, I also have to agree with CptEd and some others that size and weight, as well as cost, can play a big factor in ownership.

The main reason I got a Daniel King howitzer that weighs 65lbs instead of a 3 pounder Verbruggen that weighs 200lbs was that I can get the howitzer into my truck without any help.

I don't believe it really matters what a person has. As long as it burns BP and goes boom, it's ALL good!  :-D  :-D  And I'm sure we'll all appreciate it.
“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 07:16:09 PM »
I agree with everything that has been already posted about size and ease of construction.  One thing not mentioned is range and type fire.  The cannon needs a rifle type range to fire with a back stop for your projectiles.   The Mortar can be shot on a smaller range.  

Then of course when you fire a mortar you can see the ball go down (up and down) range and impact.  With the cannon the ball flight is lost in the smoke.

Offline Calamity Jane

• Avid Poster
Been wondering . . .
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 11:21:33 PM »
Ok, storage and transportability makes sense.

Bigger bore in a smaller package? Yea, I can see how that fits, given how many fellas like "big booms"!  :shock:

So mortars, Howitzers, and ship's guns are "a compromise" and everybody would really rather  have a field gun, the bigger the better  :wink:  (Ducking for cover now  :roll:  )
Calamity Jane
SASS 40978L