Author Topic: Salt block for deer?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Carroll B

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
Salt block for deer?
« on: March 18, 2005, 02:59:37 AM »
My deer hunting this time of the year is limited to a digital camera.  I built a corn feeder in the back yard and they visit it on a regular basis, although usually at night.  I have to buy more corn today and wondered if I should buy them a salt block too?
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 03:08:28 AM »
If you're asking about a block with "just" salt the answer is no. If you want to help them then a salt/mineral block or just a bag of the salt/mineral mix to pour out somewhere nearby would help them especially if the food in the area is deficient in minerals.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 03:09:07 AM »
my brother up in Illinois buys mineral blocks and buries them. the deer will paw out a big hole in the ground.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline deerslayer15

• Avid Poster
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 05:26:25 AM »
I'm with GB, get the mineral/salt mix. The salt block never works for me the first year I put it out, it always works the next year after the salt run in the ground. But on the other hand, the deer love the mineral/salt mix  and eat it right up.
DEER SEASON IS OVER, BUT THERE IS STILL RABBIT, SQUIRREL AND SPRING GOBBLER.  :biggun: :lol:

P$$$ ON P.E.T.A[/size]

Offline Carroll B

• http://www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:09:45 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I check into a mineral block for them.
Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

Home Page www.geocities.com/bayrunner.geo

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 08:50:38 AM »
I use the mineral/salt mix myself.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline thayerqdma

Try this homemade mix,
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »
WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loos kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of mineral, and then each year there after.

I have used it for 3 years and the deer will hit it hard during the spring thru to early fall.  Spread it and they will come.

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 10:01:15 PM »
I use the mineral/salt mix also.I put it  out year round.I put mine in stump holes in different areas and the deer just plow up the ground for it.....Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 05:14:48 AM »
I bought mineral/salt last weekend.   I figure the salt attracts them a little and the minerals will help the herd at least a little.

pepaw

Offline Robert

Salt block for deer?
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 05:27:31 AM »
I use the Mineral block too. They dissolve slowly and the ground around it gets saturated.  The deer seem to like the surrounding soil as much as the block.  You can also buy mixed seed to plant for deer, or just plant wheat and clover.
....make it count

Offline rockbilly

Salt block for deer?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 04:26:50 AM »
:roll: I use both, I keep salt and mineral blocks out year round.

There is nothing wrong with feeding corn, but it has very little nuterational value for the deer.  If you want to see an improvement in the fawn production, better quality doe and improvement in the rack size, then go to Purina Anthler Max.  I mix it with corn, one bag of corn, one bag of Anthler max until the feeder is full.  My feeders is a 55 gal drum with removable top, they have a timer feeder usually set for 8-10 seconds twice a day.  The 55 gal drum holds about 250 lbs of feed and usually last about six weeks.

As with any program, you will not see an improvement overnight, but after two-three years you should see larger racks and an overall improvement in the deer herd.

Offline Siskiyou

Salt block for deer?
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 10:10:45 AM »
Back when the F&G Warden would put out salt blocks for deer in some areas, in the spring the deer would look a little rough and be covered with ticks.  The "yellow sulphur" blocks seem to help them kick the ticks.  Along with the green-up it was not long before the deer were putting on weight.

There was one area that a large number of deer would come into the block.  The deer seemed to improve rather quickly after the sulphur block was put out.  The deer would go through about 3 large blocks in four months in this location.  A local rancher was putting a plain salt block out about 1/2 mile away at a water tank and the deer would by pass it for the sulfphur block.  The deer would dig this area up looking for salt early in the year on this exposed peak.  The tall timber would shade the snow drifts and keep the road blocked until late May or June so salt could not be brought in earlier.  Which was okay because most of the deer wintered in the low country.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Salt block for deer?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 08:47:20 AM »
Its probably silly but its illegal to put out feeders or mineral and salt licks in our state. Anything that can be considered to draw the lambs to slaughter. However its legal to put in food plots. I quess as long as you had any livestock then they couldn't outlaw the licks and blocks. I have a small acreage for hunting that I just plant to alfalfa. We have 95% mule deer. This past season I shot a whitetail doe on my land. There were four of them in a group. The first four whitetail I have ever seen on my land.
shot placement is everything.

Offline youngbdv

Salt block for deer?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 08:46:39 AM »
1 part Di-Calcium Phosphate  50lbs
1 part Red Trace mineral salt 50lbs
and 4lbs Baking Soda
mix thoroughly ,the deer love it .