Author Topic: Dad left me his Pre-64 Model 70  (Read 770 times)

Offline UtahMike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rem. 22-250AI Etronx, Bush., 3200 -- 5-15x50
    • http://home.comcast.net/~hale.michael/wsb/index.html
Dad left me his Pre-64 Model 70
« on: December 11, 2005, 08:48:49 PM »
I know their are alot of questions regarding value of Pre-64's.  I'm not going to every sell the weapon, but I'm interested in it's worth.

It's chambered in 30GOV'T'06-   I find that interesting, the away it's worded.  It has a 22' barrel, It doesn't say Featherweight but with the light weight barrel of that lenght and the Checkering on the stock, along with the leather strap, I think it is one.  Serial Number is 127***

It's in at least 90-95% condition as far as the blueing is concerned.  The fit on the stock is amazing, I can't get a playing card into any space around the stock, the fit is super.
The stock does have normal wear on it, but no chips.

It has a has a old Redfield Bear Cub 4x scope with Buehler Mounts.  The lens are still like new and a very good picture thru it.  I've watched dad take Muleys a 400+ yrds with it, he took elk and mule deer most of his life. He was raised a trapper until he went into the service (WWII, Navy) then came home and got his degree in Aeronautical Engineering.  He was given the rifle by his business partner in about 1952-3 I think.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea as to it value......

Thanks, Mike

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »
The rifle was probably made sometime around 1949 ( http://armscollectors.com/sn/winlookup.php ).  If it in 90-95% condition, like rifles are selling on GunsAmerica and GunBroker around $600 chambered for the 30-06.  Less common chamberings bring higher values, as do super grades or mint conditioned rifles.  A similar rifle in the above quoted condition chambered for 300 H&H would go anywhere from 1200-1600, the 375's, even more.  If the rifle has been altered in any way, the cost would drop down to around how much the action is worth.

Of course, if in lesser condition, the estimate would drop.

Offline catman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 03:39:44 PM »
I also have my dad's mod 70 pre-64 .30-06 (1947) mine also has on the barrel Govt. .30-06.  It still to this day out shoots all of my other hunting rifles day in and day out.
odds are with the prepared.....