Author Topic: Does this make sense (Mil Dot?)  (Read 382 times)

Offline DaddyPaul

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Does this make sense (Mil Dot?)
« on: August 01, 2005, 03:47:48 PM »
My little brain is starting to hurt. Suppose I had a scope with mil dot reticle mounted on a .270 Winchester and went to the range and sighted it in 1.5"s high at 100 yards using the intersection of the main crosshairs as my aiming point. Then I fire groups using each mil dot as my aiming point onto a big target. I then measure to the center of each group and record how high it is at 100 yards and of course which dot I used. Then sit down with a ballistics calculator and plug in the numbers. For instance if the third dot down hit 8"s high at what range would the bullet again cross the line of sight, thus giving you a dead on hold for that dot at the given range. Does this make any sense? Of course you would have to use the same power setting each time so the relationship of the crosshairs to the target would be consistent. Am I just dumb? Does everybody already do this? I have a rangefinder so I don't really need the dots for that purpose. Will this hold water? Naturally you would need to shoot at the actual distances to gather "real data". But seems to me this would give you a good starting point? What do y'all think?

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 09:15:16 PM »
Yes, that will work, if the velocity & BC of the bullet is exactly what it is
supposed to be. Most of the time they are not & that is why you would
have to verify at those ranges.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 02:29:43 AM »
I wanted the mil dot as well.....

I had gotten a deal on a Burris 3x9x40mm scope but it had the duplex retical instead.  The deal was just too good to pass up, so I contacted Burris about a retical change.  They can only change it out to a Ballistic Plex retical and will only cost me $50.00 to have done.

I like this retical better than the mil dot for the reasons you spoke above.  I don't have to calculate anything, and the Burris sits on my Savage 12FV in .223

The options of scopes is a great one.... they make reticals for every application and purpose.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 04:32:07 PM »
The Montanan
Yea, I like that Reticle too & it will be a little quicker to learn, but you will
still have to shoot that set-up at the various ranges as the BC values of
different brand bullets vary & some barrels are quicker than others, but at
least you can start close! I like the fact that milldot scopes have the
windage dots also to calculate winds, but the TDS ret. beats both of these
in that regard.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.