Author Topic: push button detachable swivels  (Read 405 times)

Offline Good Keen Man

• Trade Count: (0)
push button detachable swivels
« on: August 06, 2005, 09:11:27 AM »
has any body installed push button detachable swivels to their handi?

http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9004408&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548842&subcatky2=2000188

I hunted with a guy last weekend who had them on a Sauer and they were really easy to use plus they leave the fore-end completely flat rather than having that annoying little "bump" sticking out.

I have a synthetic stock and would want to install the fore-end mount closer to the barrel and would be left with a hole to fill. Any thoughts on how best to do this?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 09:47:54 AM »
I've never used those before, but have thought about it. To fill the hole, you have a few options. One would just be a flat head machine screw with a nut counter sunk in the barrel channel. Another choice would be to insert an approapriate size wood plug or dowel in the hole, stain and finish it. You can also get stock repair material like hot glue sticks only it's colored.

Tim

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=12618&title=WOOD+%26+FINISH+REPAIR+STICKS
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline howard NZ

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »
Good keen man, I have never seen those before but like you I don't like the studs sitting out of the stocks, so will see on Monday if our NZ Uncle Mikes importer brings them in,
 thanks Howard.

Offline Good Keen Man

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 02:33:39 AM »
Hi Howard - keep us posted, keen to see how they go - will buy some from you if you think they can work; they were really nice on the Sauer and so fast!

On the Sauer, the fore end swivel was "implanted" at the end of the stock closest to the barrel - not parallel with the ground but in the last little bit before the fore end touches the barrel (does that make sense?). End result was that the rifle hung very close to you and did not try to pull away from your shoulder as some of the Handis do due to being a little  bit "top heavy".

GKM