Author Topic: Concealed Carry IMHO  (Read 691 times)

Offline John C-S

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Concealed Carry IMHO
« on: September 07, 2005, 01:39:16 PM »
Two options: Walther PPK in .32 or .380, and/or S&W Titanium .38 +P/.357. The latter are so light and hold 5 rnds apiece. The former is an old school gun that auto fans can consider. The Walther is more accurate. Mine shoots into an inch at 15 yds with hardball for 6 shots every time. The revolvers, though lighter and competitive with the .380 in power are not nearly as accurate. But they are very light and trustworthy as revolvers generally are anyway. But my Walther never has malfunctioned. And though it is all steel and heavier it is flat flat flat sideways. I like it.

Offline Sir Knight

• Share what you know & learn what you don't.
    • Triple-F Ranch
Concealed Carry IMHO
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:03:18 AM »
I have a .380 PPK as well as a S&W342 in .38special. Never had a failure with the PPK but I did have the 342 sieze up on me at the range after rapid firing it.
The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor because the one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Concealed Carry IMHO
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 03:07:32 AM »
Get yourself a Makarov in 9x18!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Concealed Carry IMHO
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 05:19:30 AM »
I have had about half a dozen Walthers in 380 - the PPK, PPK/s and one PP which I would love to have back.  

Forget the Titanium342 and get yourself a M38, the Lightweight Bodyguard.  It is one ounce heavier but ahs a concealed hammer and a sa/da capability.  My M38, M37 and Ladysmith all group to one hole at 25 yds.  My preferred load for all my 38 Specials is a 200 gn semiwadcutter over 3.8 of W231 (factory load).

The Walthers are cool.  I like the PPK but really like the PP for its size and controlability.  That said however the M38 is my preference.  JMHO.  MIkey.

Offline John C-S

• Avid Poster
Vietnam Airweight .38
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 12:39:06 PM »
From S/W--it was the civilian version made in the 60s. I liked it. But like many guns I have had I sold it without knowing how much it was worth to me. It held 6 rounds too. I do like the .38 in a revolver like that. I appreciate your preference. The Walther PPK .380 from Alexandria that I now have has won me over to the quality I need in today's handguns. Not many handguns of today's CNC and MIM metal parts measure up to my desires. If I can get an old 38 Airweight from 60s manufacture I'd pick it up in a heartbeat. I hate all plastic boxy pistols like the Glock and Sigma. A gun should be made out of metal and decent wood or original rugged hard plastic grips.

Offline retrieverhunter

concealed carry
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 05:45:27 AM »
I have a Walther PPK in 32 acp and a S&W M38 bodyguard airweight in 38 and will take the M38 anyday.  The Walther is too heavy for me to carry comfortably so I had been looking for a j frame airweight.  I found a M637 at one pawn shop and bought it, and not 3 weeks later, I found an older M38 at another pawn shop and bought it too.  Both the M637 and M38 are alot more accurate than I figured they would be.  The Walther is probably slightly more accurate, but mainly because the weight and smaller caliber make it easier to hold.  For me, weight and bulk are huge issues.  If a gun is too heavy or bulky, I am more likely not carry it as often, and with the airweight Smiths, you literally forget you are carrying.
Jeff S.