Author Topic: Handi superlight .243 can shoot!  (Read 973 times)

Offline howard NZ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Handi superlight .243 can shoot!
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:15:20 PM »
 ;D Four trips to the range.I have my load sorted, the rifle grouping really well and sighted in. Ready for some serious hunting time, I really was a bit nervous after reading of the problems people have had with this model, but having followed some good advice on this forum has me a happy fellow. My last three 3 shot groups at 100 yds have all been under an inch closer to .75", with two of the three shots either touching or close to.
Rifle has a 3.5lb trigger from factory left it alone,mounted 2-7x32 VX1 Leupold after loctiting base (because of the scope being semi compact removed with hacksaw and file overhang from base, looks tidy)   Fitted Millet med steel rings. Filed clearance for barrel at the front of the forend, fitted a thin rubber oring, lapped barrel with autosol chrome polish, settled on this load, ADI 2217 45.5gr  95gr Hornady sst bullets, tried three different OAL and settled on 2.9375" which by my calculations is just touching the lands. Shot off the bench, front sand bag under hinge pin, rear sandbag just behind pistol grip and made sure I followed through with the trigger, now I reckon if I hadn't had access to good advice I may have taken alot of shooting to get this right or even been left unhappy,
Now also to look forward to shooting the 45-70 barrel I have just got, waiting for brass, yes in New Zealand 45-70 is pretty unusual and none of the wholesalers had any brass in stosk :eek: but due to arrive next week,
Got the day off on Monday to go hunting Yeha :grin:
 Regards Howard.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 08:19:12 PM »
Good work, Howard!!! Sounds like you're having a lot of Handi fun!!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:50:13 AM »
sounds like u got it go'in howard, 243 is a hard cal to beat for most types of playin,, so what sort of hunting do u guys do in new zealand??? varmint??perhaps? and forthe 45/70 what are yu lookin to perforate?

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:49:05 AM »
Way to go Howard.. :toast:

I'm happy you got it to shoot so good...I think your in for quite a suprise with the ole 45-70... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 05:56:50 AM »
Glad to hear you got the superlight shooting good. There's way too many people that give up on that gun early. Most of them are shooters that for sure.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 08:55:49 AM »
Congrats Howard  :D

My .243 handi isn't a light weight, but its a shooter.  Good luck with your 45-70 to.

Norse

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 09:06:58 AM »
Glad to hear the Ultalight worked out and is shooting well. Have fun with them both.

Offline howard NZ

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 10:36:09 AM »
Hi Shaner,
Personally I mostly hunt feral goats, red deer, hogs as you say in the States, rabbits,hares and magpies, ducks and geese during the bird season, game I havn't hunted are tahr, chamois, fallow, whitetail, wapiti,sika, and rusa deer, pheasant, quail, chukar,
New Zealand is a great place to hunt.
Regards Howard.

Offline jritter

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 02:43:54 PM »
Wow, great diversity of species you have there.  I have heard of wapiti in the states, I think it is a native american name for elk.  If so, you definitely have a use for the 45-70!
"In the end, we conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, we will understand only what we are taught."