Author Topic: Don't let it die with you  (Read 570 times)

Offline nealglen37

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Don't let it die with you
« on: August 07, 2005, 05:26:26 PM »
I have no idea why I'm writing this but it's something we all need to think about. Whatever we learn in life...................from rebuilding a motor...............to using a flintlock rifle........to making an apple pie from scratch...to grafting a pecan tree........................we must not be selfish and keep it to ourselves.

When someone asks for your help or advice......give it........not in an authoritative "let me show you"..............or "you'll just mess it up way.........think before you speak.

How may kids ..........or other adults have been turned off of hunting fishing........or anything else by someone.................who feels threatened..........doesn't care.......or just doesn't have the time to "show" others about what they know.

If we help each other out..............we will help EVERYONE else out......next time your kid says "show me"....really show him.............let him ask questions............or her for that matter.

Be as patient with your son or daughter........or wife.......when they ask for your help....................just patient as the one was........who taught you how to operate a computer.

I must be getting old.......................I'm ranting now......................first thing I will help you with "studies have shown we are more productive on eight hours rest"..........night all

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 01:35:46 AM »
Excellent advice nealglen37 :D  :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 12:24:11 PM »
I, also, have wondered at how much wisdom is lost between the generations.  I remember how eagerly I listened to whatever my father or grandfather had to teach me.  Today, however, with families broken and separated, fathers working two jobs, grandparents in some retirement community, kids glued to the TV or computer, well, how can there be a continuity of lore?  The kids surely won't get it anywhere else.   :cry:
At least, I do what I can with my grandkids.    :grin:

Offline Bob Hurley

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 11:39:58 AM »
A while back I started a web site for that very purpose, to preserve the woodscraft that is being lost by each generation. It's at www.woodscraft.net, and things have gotten a bit slow lately. It could use some quality posts.

The site isn't in competition with Graybeard Outdoors, nor is it a political forum. If you've got some backwoods trick you learned from you Grandpa, your Dad, or your favorite Uncle, we'd like you to share it there.

Bob