Author Topic: H&R shotgun home defense  (Read 2775 times)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
H&R shotgun home defense
« on: May 16, 2005, 05:48:03 PM »
was lookin thru the new , guns magazine and they did a story on home defense shotguns and theres a picture of a woman usin a H&R  shotgun for home defense its got a ammo sleeve on it and a short barrel looks like a 20 in  12 ga , then in thearticle it says H&R is for home defense also , along with the auto and pumps , suppose price will go up with the popularlaruty of them for home defense now ,, hahahah

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Not a Chance
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 06:02:19 PM »
I don't think it will make a difference in the price.  The NEF/H&R is first and formost a Hunting gun.  I, personally, don't think you could have a better HD/Camp gun than a single shot NEF.  It's about as safe as they come and one of the shortest configurations you will find.  A 20ga youth model is only about 36" long from muzzle to butt.  Anyone can fire it, it's so simple.  The single shot shotgun was the choice for varmits of all kinds both 2 and 4 legged that was setting by the back door in many homes and farms for many decades.  It has my vote.  My choice is the 12ga, Mod., 22" youth barrel that is being fitted at the factory as we speek.   Slugs, bird or buck shot, it will take care of any concerns I may have while at home or camping.  I have given some thought to ordering a Tamer stock from Choat.  They have them in 12, 20, and 410 configurations.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:49:31 AM »
hey i agree with ya cookie, and with a tamer they would be super for close range in house action the tamers a tad bit shorteralso , but from all ive read when it comes to shotgunning in inside the 410 is favored beacuse of the penatration of walls , one article i read said 410 3in # 6 or larger for home defense, either way i wantto be in the pullin end of any ofthem and not the blastin end ,

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 07:01:52 AM »
I'd prefer more than a single shot for home defense...A nice pump should do the job...Oh yah, H&R imports one of those now too...I guess H&R would work for home defense.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:46:28 AM »
I have to agree with whitetailer, for home defense I would like at least two shots ready to go.  But an H&R single is better that no gun at all when facing an armed intruder.  I too like a 'trombone' for home defense, the sound of the action being racket lets any unwelcome guest within ear shoot  know that you mean business.  Oh by the way forget buck shot or slugs,  a load of #6 bird shot at across the room range will put a world of hurt on any intruder and be less likely to penetrate interior walls possibly injuring family members in an adjacent room.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline snakeman

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 03:24:10 PM »
I live on a 40 acre ranch in Kansas. I have an NEF 12 ga. and a 20 ga. I have no issues using either of them for a home defense gun and used the 12 ga. for years when I lived in the city. Both of them have extra rounds on the stock. Whenever I go out to do do chores or just go out to tromp around I always have one of them with me. They have been used to shoot pheasant and quail and have killed all kinds of critters that were in the horse barn and chicken barn including some coyotes. They are great guns and should not be ruled out as defense guns. Although they are not the ideal home defense guns, it sure beats throwing rocks. :grin:  

snakeman

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 02:31:08 PM »
I prefer a snub nose 38 for the home , there alot harder to have stripped away from you. But if i were to use a shotgun  a 5-8 shot pump 12 guage can't be beat.

Offline 308 Hunter

H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 09:04:16 AM »
I would prefer more than one shot myself, but I have made the standered pardner into a tactical gun. First I got a pipecutter and took the barrel off at 18 in. (yes, its legal) and than I bought the survivor synthetic stock for it, later, I think its made by shotforce, I installed a heat shield with a set of ghost ring sights. Pretty sweet looking get-up but when I got done with it the thing weighed less than a 10/22.. I only shoot mag loads, boy did that gun KICK!!
One shot, one kill.

Account deactivated until you provide valid e-mail address

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:00:46 AM »
I have a 20ga youth model next to the bed and a 38 snubbie in the nitestand. Wife has the same set-up on her side  :)  . A friend of mine has a 20ga that has been sawed off to the legal limit and the butt stock has been replaced with an old machette handle. (he cut the original stock too short to be legal and had to change it fast). According to local law enforcement it is now legal. He has this gun hanging from a rope at his front door. And you thought all my friends were boring :-D

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »
On the Tamer Choate Stocks, what do yall think of em? I've had a Model 58 H&R 20ga since I was a boy, and would like to spiff it up a bit. Whats the general opinion on em? Also, the Choate website is a little confusing. When ordering a Tamer stock, do you get the butt-stock and the forend or are they sold seperately? Not a bad investment, cause I believe you could handle the gun better w/a pistol grip, and then the sling can also be used for added stability. The one thing I love about an H&R/NEF is the auto-ejectors. Its awesome to flick the thing open and all of a sudden a shell go flying out, and pop another one in. My grampa used to hunt deer with dogs, and used nothing but a single shot 12ga. and he could almost make the thing sound like a semi-auto when shooting deer from the years of using and getting used to the action.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 03:27:02 PM »
The stock and forearm are separate items when ordering from choate. When I just ordered a stock from them I just wanted the stock and the forearm automaticaly appeared in my shopping cart at checkout and I had to removed it by changing the quantity to 0. These stocks are also available from H&R,but I don't know how they stack up price wise. They are also always for sale on gunbroker.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Georgian

• Avid Poster
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
Only thing I'm worried about is if it would fit my H&R. I have a Model 58. Also, how would i got about taking the butt-stock off? The forend is easy, but cant figure out how to get the butt-stock off.
~Speak softly and carry a big stick~T. Roosevelt

~I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.~J. Wayne

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 07:05:36 PM »
It will fit your model 58 fine. Take the two screws out the hold the butt plate on and take a 9/16" socket on a long extension. I have a 3" and 6" together and it comes right off.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Most for the $$$
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2005, 11:56:32 PM »
The best buy you will ever find for a home defense gun is a Pardner Youth Model 20.  It's only about 3 feet long and has a 22in barrel.  They can be had just about anywhere for less than $100, NIB.  If you find one used they go for about $60 or less.  That's cheap protection, and very effective.  Just my 2 cents.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 10:53:39 AM »
I agree the H&R/NEF single shot guns would be a suitable home defense weapon.  I mean your in your house with your kids and wife/Girlfriend.  You don't want to do the spray and pray deal in that sitting.  A load of #6 or even #71/2 shot at what 10 maybe 15 feet ?  It might not kill him but it damn sure would get his attention. I sleep with my NEF .410 Leaning againist the  head board of my bed.  Got five #6 shot 3in shell on the stock just in case.  And when the GF spends the night she hangs her S&W model 99 40 cal. on the head board post.  Gotta love a women that tokes a gun.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 06:40:37 AM »
yepper dave ur correct on both of them , the 410 and a lady willin to play with guns hahaha u know a 3in 410 with a load of 6 shot is what id say i perfect  for  home defense

Offline BoneDigger

Maybe...
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
I don't know guys...  It seems to me that if a person (theif) wwere wearing a coat (as in winter time) that 6 shot may be a little too light.  I would think buckshot would be better.  Of course, being shot in the face with #6 would suck, but then you may not have that option in a real life situation.  It would seem to me that you would want maximum penetration with whatever you choose.

Todd

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 11:30:27 AM »
BoneDigger
                 Tell you what any time you want to put on a heavy winter coat and let me back off say 15 feet and shoot you center of mass with a load of #6 out of my .410 let me know.
At that range what the load is gonna spread out to about the size of my fist ????  Damn I don't think I would want to be on the receiveing end of that.

I know I wouldn't want to do that.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline 6Shooter

• Avid Poster
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 03:07:46 PM »
My grampa used to hunt deer with dogs, and used nothing but a single shot 12ga. and he could almost make the thing sound like a semi-auto when shooting deer from the years of using and getting used to the action.

I believe it!
 I can shoot and reload my single shot as fast as a pump action shot gun.
 I shoot skeet with mine and do very well with it.
  I believe anyone could do the same with practice. There are too many nice fancy new guns and some people don't take the time to really learn and practice shooting skills and I think it makes people lazy.

The LAPD, years ago did a study, and this study has been done by others several times since that found that a 12gauge pump or semi-auto with #4 shot put more lethal projectiles in the air faster than any other small arm including the full auto mp5 sub machine gun. So a man with a single shot H&R that can reload it fast is an formable foe.

Offline slug shooter

H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 05:27:49 AM »
i use an old H&R topper slug gun with a smooth 20" bbl it is my home defense gun  it is 37" overall so it is pretty short i got one of those shell stock holders with 2 3/4 #4 buck with a laser sight that if u squeeze forend it turns on, its pretty sweet i have only had to use it once when some college kids tore down our american flag at 12:00 am and me and my dad scared them off with my H&R and his .44 magnum not bad for being 13

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 04:21:29 AM »
hey 6shooter i totally believe u can relaod that quick , i was hunting with a young guy a few yrs back and he shot his H&R slugger twice at a deer and got her , i didnt bellieve it was him shooting because it went boom boom so fast i thought it was a  pump or auto, goin off he always carried the spare in his left hand and popped her open and dropped it in , no arguments here ive seen it and heard it done hahahah

Offline Savage .250

H&R shotgun home defense
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2005, 05:39:54 AM »
Something a little different.  A double barrel 12ga with short barrels, loaded with buck-shot. Seemed to do a great job in the old west so i`d suspect it would do the job in a home defense role.  
 Imagine what an intruder would think when you told him you were going to blow his azz back to Kansas.  One shot at a time.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."