Author Topic: grunts  (Read 636 times)

Offline .308sniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
grunts
« on: August 03, 2005, 01:12:19 AM »
If you grunt at a running deer will it stop. I know that if they are not alerted they will stop. Any help will be helpful.
                                                            .308sniper
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: grunts
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2005, 01:40:29 AM »
Quote from: .308sniper
If you grunt at a running deer will it stop. I know that if they are not alerted they will stop. Any help will be helpful.
                                                            .308sniper

I usually whistle to make them stop. I have not tried to grunt at one while running.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
grunts
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 03:02:44 AM »
Deer are as individual as we are. How they react to any given stimulus is just as varied as how you or I or any other person will react to the same stimulus.

What all that means is you just cannot be sure how the deer will react to a grunt. I have several grunt calls and have used them on on deer. So far I've never ever blind called one in that I know of. At least none have ever showed up after blind calling. BUT if I see or hear them near me and call with an old Primos call I have them will "most" of the time come to me or in my direction.

BUT not always. I've had them run like a rabbit at the sound. I've had them ignore the sound. Now with NONE of the other grunt calls I own have I ever gotten a positive reaction from any deer I've used it on that was where I could see or hear the reaction. Why this is so I don't know but it is.

So don't be surprised at the reaction you get from any given deer when you grunt.

I do agree most times a loud whistle will stop them. Most times. Nothing is always with deer.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

grunts
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 02:29:07 PM »
:D I have seen them put on the brakes, turn and come directly toward me, but I have also seen them shift to another gear and high tail it out of the area.  I agree with GB, they don't all act the same.

Offline Dolph26

grunts
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 03:03:47 PM »
Like Graybeard, I've had bucks respond to grunts a variety of ways.  I've also had deer respond to a whistle by trotting to me.  In my experience, you never know how they will react.

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
grunts
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 01:20:05 PM »
Just my observation... I'm closing in on 100 bucks since 1959, between
NY-NC-ND. Since 1978 I have used grunts, any number of scents, rattlin' bags, etc. I stopped a few years ago. I can honestly say, I never felt that
any of this stuff helped me shoot any deer. I admit to probably being swayed by commercials. I hunt either by stealth, patience (often 2 plus
miles walk in, on stand all day), and I am vigilant about playing the wind.
Above all I am addicted to workouts.. more than deer.