Author Topic: I picked my caliber need a rifle to go with it  (Read 1196 times)

Offline irndan

• Trade Count: (0)
I picked my caliber need a rifle to go with it
« on: June 19, 2005, 06:42:29 PM »
I have been thinking on an elk hunt out west within the next year or two and have decided on a 30-06 to use. Now here in the midwest we don't get much hunting time with rifles as Il. you can't hunt with one. So, what I need for someone with much more experience than I is help in figuring out which type of rifle would be best as far as brand and action. I am leaning on the bolt action side but am not against a pump or semi-auto. Checking out gunbrokers.com the prices seem to jump around quit a bit. Who makes a reasonably priced 30-06? I'm not worried about resale value as I have a habit of keeping a firearm once I buy it. I also figured that buying used I could get a higher quality gun at a lower price. If your guys could just point me in the right direction even on were to go to find answers myself  that would be great.
 Thanks
OK, here we go

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
I picked my caliber need a rifle to go with
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 05:02:27 AM »
Well, first of all, the venerable '06 is a great round for out here.  Try to stay away from the Super-Duper-Magnum hype, because you are hunting, not sniping.  Let's see, You can have a Ruger, Remington, or Winchester or Browning for about the same price.  I myself am a Ruger man, and I love them, My father a die hard Browning man, my Grandfather and Winchester..etc, etc.  You get the point.  Another option (and much cheaper) is to go to Wal-Mart and get a Weatherby Vanguard.  I think you can buy one of those rigs for $300-$400 brand new (correct me if I am wrong guys) and they come with an accuracy guarantee.  Or just shop around for a good used gun, have it checked out and just practice alot.  Be sure to get a good variable power scope (I would say a 3X9 would be good...if you need to glass and see farther, that is why you brought those binoculars).  That being said, you can't really go wrong by staying with The names you know in rifles.  Other than that, it is pretty straight forward.

SAWgunner
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline Lawdog

Re: I picked my caliber need a rifle to go with it
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 12:38:04 PM »
Quote from: irndan
I have been thinking on an elk hunt out west within the next year or two and have decided on a 30-06 to use. Now here in the midwest we don't get much hunting time with rifles as Il. you can't hunt with one. So, what I need for someone with much more experience than I is help in figuring out which type of rifle would be best as far as brand and action. I am leaning on the bolt action side but am not against a pump or semi-auto. Checking out gunbrokers.com the prices seem to jump around quit a bit. Who makes a reasonably priced 30-06? I'm not worried about resale value as I have a habit of keeping a firearm once I buy it. I also figured that buying used I could get a higher quality gun at a lower price. If your guys could just point me in the right direction even on were to go to find answers myself  that would be great.
 Thanks

While I have bought a number of used rifles there can be a problem doing so.  You could be purchasing someone else’s headache.  It happens all the time and buying on-line can be even worse.  I have heard of way too many horror stories where hunters/shooters have been burnt buying on line.  If you want an accurate .30-06 that will deliver then don’t over look Savage rifles.  This one would be my choice, http://www.savagearms.com/111g.htm if I were in the market for a good, accurate hunting rifle.  It can also be had with a “toy” stock if you so wish.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
irandan,  I look for a new one online etc. on the used market kind of an mixed deal but if you have a good gun store in your area  may get a deal from them and they may stand behind a used rifle.    I started with a 7mag on elk then switched to a 30 cal mag and having not used anything but a mag rifle be hard for me to comment on a standard caliber.  Here in Co we have acouple different types of elk hunters.  One is the guys who hunt the dark timber very short shots other who hunt the timber at timber line others who hunt across canyons or the open spots around timber line or the guys who catch them on the move down to winter feed.  Me I'd just as soon have alittle more rifle.   If you can get a chance to see the country first that may help you select a rifle or talk to some guys that hunt there also.  You cann't go wrong with a 300wby vanguard just my .02.  tom

Offline colorado bob

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:37:44 PM »
I've used the 30/06 for years here in Colorado-----never had problem one with it on elk.     I would use 180 grain bullets.      As far as rifles ---a bolt action for sure------Get the one that fits you---go to the gun shop & throw them up to your shoulder----1 with FEEL better that the others.    I shoot a Model 700 Remington but just bought a Tikka this year in 30/06.  Get the best scope-----IMO it's a VX-II 3x9 40MM--Leupold.      CB

Offline irndan

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 01:43:18 PM »
My biggest problem here is there just aren't alot of rifles around in central Il. I'm going to Phoenix in about a month and I thought I would look around down there. Anybody recomend a good shop to go to in the phoenix area?
OK, here we go

Offline AZ300wsm

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 04:20:57 AM »
Drop me a PM with dates  maybe I can help.

Offline Handwerk

• Avid Poster
rifle
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 10:49:28 AM »
My first pick would be a tikka, second a remington. I've got 3 of the tikkas and I think for under a grand they can't be beat. If you can afford more than go with a sako. I've had good luck buying online at gunsamerica.com.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 09:22:09 PM »
I have found that the second best part of the hunt is the research on the correct caliber, rifle, bullet, and load (if you reload).  It makes your hunting trip last six months instead of just the days that your gone.  Pick up some books, magazines and surf the hunting web - including greybeard - then make a decision.  A 30-06 is a good start. A bolt action is a sound choice. Bullet choice is as important as everything else.  As for rifles, most are very good or they wouldn't sell.  You just need to find the one that tinkles your bell.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.

Offline mmwb

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 10:28:51 AM »
Well I'm coming into the discussion a bit late, but will put my .02 in anyway. I think all of the above brands are fairly proven.  I've absolute confidence and my Savage and don't believe any other brand will give you more accuracy.  I can shoot a .75" grp/100yds with my .06, with the low end scope (hope to have that replaced this fall) and I am not a great shooter by any means--ie I expect the rifle could produce better groups with a more skilled shooter.  I use 165 grain winchesters for antelope, mulies, and elk with good results.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 03:46:35 AM »
mmwb,
Why replace the scope?  If yours works well, why get one that might self destruct?  If I'm driving from New York to San Francisco, I would rather use a trusted Ford or Chevy rather than an unproven Jaguar.

C F
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.