Author Topic: anybody out there paint?  (Read 469 times)

Offline Aaro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
anybody out there paint?
« on: August 09, 2005, 02:10:58 PM »
Does anybody out there paint stocks or do stencils? Reason Im asking is im fixin to begin a project with my 870 that includes painting the stock. So im lookin for some one to talk to for hints and tips! :D
"If guns kill people I can blame mispelled words on my pencil"
                                                             -Larry The Cable Guy :-D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
anybody out there paint?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »
Not really but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express on the way out to OK for a prairie dog hunt so I might be of some help.  :-D

I did paint my barn last year also.  :eek:

I paint the metal on guns but generally not the stocks. I use Rustoleum on the metal and bake it by leaving it in a closed up vehicle in the sun on a hot summer day. Same idea should work on the stocks. As to patterns and such I'm no good at that so don't even try.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
"Grin"
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 11:56:53 AM »
:-D Pretty funny but seriously My plans are a black base with olive/lime green flames. Want to keep it black and green so it can still be used in the field. You say Rusteloum you mean like spraypaint? Does that hold up well? Might paint the metal with that also.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
anybody out there paint?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 12:10:15 PM »
Yes the Rustoleum spray paint holds up quite well. We have a rifle that is now my wife's that I painted back in the mid 80s with it. Stuck in out in my Bronco with the windows rolled up in the hot sun all day. I hunted with it for years, then our oldest son used it some and now it's my wife's rifle. Other than where it sat in the gun racks of the truck and on the bolt and trigger guard the paint is still well over 90% there. Hey all it takes is a wee bit of touch up if you feel it needs it.

I feel the baking in the hot truck was the key to it lasting so long.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Aaro

• Avid Poster
Thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:09:08 PM »
Ill have to try that with one of our guns sounds kinda cool but I still wonder if it will work. Here in Georgia we have trouble tryin to get any type of paint to stick to metal because of the high humidity. :( What are your thouthts to baking it in the oven?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
anybody out there paint?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 04:22:46 PM »
Oven sounds too hot and likely won't fit. If you properly degrease before painting it should stick fine. Our humidity is generally at or above 90% and it sticks fine here in Bama. Ya just gotta clean the surfaces properly. If you think it might be a problem then use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the metal before you paint. Sure won't be a problem then. But cleaning properly first is the key.

I used the Rust Red primer and followed it up with flat black. Didn't do any fancy patterns. I was strickly after rust prevention and no glare surface.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
anybody out there paint?
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 12:55:45 PM »
I like the car bake deal... Thanks! I paint tan. Then I sketch various leaves on stock, and paint in the appropriate fall leaf color in acrylic.
then I satin glaze... Some of my hunting buddies laugh at my stocks,
but I like to be a little different from Mossy Oak... another side of camo!
Now one thing I'd never do is show up at a NY hunting camp, with a barrel resonater on... I could hear them now. "How much did you have to drink
before getting that Freihoffers chocolate donut on your barrel"....?