Author Topic: What slugs most accurate in 20ga  (Read 1114 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
What slugs most accurate in 20ga
« on: August 01, 2005, 03:41:02 PM »
Considering a 20ga rifled slug barrel to hunt Ohio deer.  What ammo have you found to be the most accurate?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 05:36:17 PM »
Handirifle,

I can't be alot of help to you but I did get my first deer ever about 7 years ago with the 20 guage Winchester BRI? slugs(the hourglass sabot slugs).  They didn't shoot too bad if memory serves me correct(about 2in. @ 50yds.), which is plenty accurate when most deer are shot at 50-60yds. or less.  Haven't used the thing since then, since switching to muzzleloaders.  Also, I found out where your relative's business is, it's on Rt. 23 between Columbus, and Circleville.  Haven't been in the area lately since I'm out of school for the summer, but will have to stop by the next time I'm around there.  If you're ever in the area, just drop me a line...I'm always up for a road trip.  Have a good'un.

~~~Cattleskinner
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 08:59:27 PM »
Ya know I wanted to post on here when I was going on vacation, but got too busy and forgot and didn't have access to a computer there.

I was just there 2 weeks ago.  My brother and sister both live just north of circleville, I think it's on Rt 722?  It's the main road just south of my sisters market.

This is the deer my brother got off his farm.

They just had the "corn roast" and we (wife and I) were there for it, then went down to see Techumpseh with them.

When you go by, just ask for Linda and tell her her brother Scott sent ya, might get a free meal out of the deal.

Thanks for the slug info.  I plan on getting a slug barrel for one of my sons 20ga and will use it or a bow there, depending on when I can make it back.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: What slugs most accurate in 20ga
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2005, 05:57:47 AM »
Quote from: handirifle
Considering a 20ga rifled slug barrel to hunt Ohio deer.  What ammo have you found to be the most accurate?

handirifle,

My 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter LE likes all of the slugs, but I really like the performance of the Remington Ultra CoreLokt and the Winchester Partition Golds.

The Winchester Platinum Tips, Federal Barnes, Remington Copper Solids and Lightfields all shot good also, but have not taken any game with those, YET! :grin:

The BRI Hour Glass type slugs shoot well out of most guns, but I do not like the performance on deer size game. I used them for a few years with poor results as well as the old copper solids. The new copper solids are a much better design.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 01:23:35 AM »
My friend has a 20  ultra slug gun and all he uses is the lightfields. I myself just had a 12 ga ultra slug barrel fitted to mt receiver . I haven't shot it yet but i went out and bought several boxes of fed rem and winchester and i'll use the one that shoots best.

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »
My 20 shoots real good with the win, bri slugs. Haven't tried anything else. Have it sighted in at 50 yds with no scope and it cloverleafs at about 5/8 of an inch high :toast: Nice tack driver! :shock: I dearly love this slug gun :mrgreen:
                                                                        tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2005, 02:29:28 PM »
Without a doubt the most accurate saboted slug in the four Tracker II's I have experience with has been the Federal Hydra-Shok that use Federals own hourglass shaped slug. They are low recoil and have shot fantastically accurate in three of the four scoped Tracker II's I have set-up.

The problem lies in killing performance as from my experiences this slug plows right thru anything it hits and doesn't expand well. Most of the deer I have taken don't seem to leave a blood trail, and most have run away appearing unscathed. Tracking some long distances has been necessary with most of the animals that were hit. Many were hit well, with some going 20-40 acres.

I have one Tracker II that does real well with Winchesters Supreme Partition gold saboted slug. This round also performs well upon impact with every deer I have shot either dropping on the spot or going very few yards after being hit. I am also dabbling with Remingtons Ultra Core-Lokt saboted slug which like the Winchester Partition Gold is a 1900 fps round that shows promise. The recoil with both of these rounds is substantial though and not for the faint of shoulder.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 11:26:51 AM »
Well looks like they do OK, thanks.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 01:10:53 PM »
I too have used the Winchester BRI slugs, They do shoot well but like said before in this tread they don't have the knock down power.  I'm shooting the remington buck hammers or the Rottwiel Brenneke slugs now.  They may not be the most accurate, but they shoot a good 2 in. group at 50 yrds and what you hit with them stays hit.  Both of these slugs are full size 20 ga/12 ga. slugs made for rifled barrells.  I have not noticed any leading using either of these slugs in my tracker II in either 12 or 20 ga.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 04:13:54 PM »
My 20 USH loves the rem copper solids with groups at or less than 2" at 100 yrds.  Could not get anything under 5" with the win, feds or buckhammer.  
Have yet to try the Rem corlok

Offline oneshotonekill

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 04:06:11 AM »
So far the best accuracy I've had out of my 20 ga USHD was with Winchester Supreme platinum tips, followed by Rem copper solids.  The winchesters are usually under 1.5" for 3 shots at 100yds, the remingtons are usually around 1.5-1.75.  I've also had some good groups with winchester BRI's but I've seen varying results from box to box.  I actually had one group that was about 5/8" from one box then shot a 3.5" group from the next box, I've also heard of less than stellar performance on game with the BRI's so I stopped shooting them.  They used to be cheaper (or should I say less expensive?) to shoot but now the price seems to be getting closer to the premium slugs.  I really like shooting the slug guns but at $2+ a pop for premium slugs it gets expensive real quick.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
Looking at the barrel order form, what is the diff between the o24 rifled 20ga and the 920 Heavy Ultra 20ga, besides the scope rail (of course the drilling and taping that goes with it).
I know what things they come with (or not) but is there a diff in the barrels themselves?

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 03:38:10 AM »
Handi....

The Heavy Ultra barrel is the bull barreled version you see for the ultra slug hunter gun(bull barreled).  The other (#024) is the version that I have for mine, and it's a rifled barrel, the same size as the normal shot barrel, with open sights slapped on top.  

~~~Amos

Oh yeah, and that is one heckuva buck that they got  around Circleville...almost makes me want to drive south for a couple days hunting

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 08:16:04 AM »
Well it looks like I'd be happy with the std one.  Is there enough metal on the breech to have it drilled and tapped?

Also what about the 28" 12ga Turkey barrel?  Enough metal for the same.  Would like a red dot on one.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 09:21:55 AM »
Handi...

I've heard that a few people have had their 20 guage barrels drilled for scope rails...if, they can find a gunsmith to do so.  When I asked the one around here, he talked about silver soldering one on, which is what most talk about doing for safety.  I don't really know for sure, but there definitely is alot of metal around the breech area.  I can't help you on the turkey barrel, don't have one, and don't really plan on turkey hunting...something about getting out-smarted by a bird that doesn't appeal to me.  That, and I can get ten times more meat out of a deer, for the same cost on the tags.  I can save the money from the turkey tag and get a butterball in the store.  

~~~Amos

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 09:53:18 AM »
Cattleskinner
You have to pay for kill tags for Turkey and Deer ??  Damn guess I should stop complaining about the Peoples Republic of Maryland.  Only have to paid for a muzzle loader or Bow stamp if you want to hunt during those  season.  Which I always do.  As far as the question can you drill and tap a 12 ga ??  Yes you can if and ONLY if a very good gunsmith does it.  I had my 20 ga tracker drilled and tapped for a scope rail, left the 12 ga tracker with the stock open sights.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 11:15:58 AM »
Dave,

Here in Ohio, you have to buy a hunting license, which is $19 for an adult resident, and the deer and turkey tags are $24 for each one...same cost if a resident or non-resident uses it.  We don't have any extra costs on the licenses unless you hunt waterfowl(which I don't), and then you have to buy a waterfowl stamp.  You can use shotguns, muzzleloaders, bows, or pistols on the deer.  It works out nice here though, because if you hunt on your own land, you don't need a license or tag.  Also if you know a farmer with damage tags, they are free, and don't count against your limit.

~~~Amos

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 03:55:06 PM »
Handirifle, The Tracker II barrel can be drilled and tapped for the standard scope rail. I have done four of them this way. Makes for a very lightweight nice handling whitetail rig.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 07:38:03 PM »
OK thanks