Author Topic: Gamma master chrony  (Read 610 times)

Offline harpman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Reloading Log Books
Gamma master chrony
« on: July 21, 2005, 08:57:09 AM »
Yo gents, I am thinking about getting the master gamma chrony, with printer and remote, have any of you used one ? any comments from users ?
The Black Powder Cartridge Reloading Log Book

Offline calvon

• Contributor
Gamma Master Chrony
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 04:45:12 AM »
Just one old man's comments: I haven't used the Gamma Master Chrony. I have used one model of Chrony that calculated averages, standard deviations, and a few other things. It was somewhat persnickety about it all, quitting on me often enough to be bothersome. I ended up giving it away. I then bought the cheapest Chrony. A refurb model cost me about $50. All it does is measure the speed of the last bullet fired over it. No math, no fancies, just the velocity of the last bullet. Fire another round and get another velocity.

I developed a simple form on which to record measured velocities. I made up a simple spreadsheet on my computer and when I come home from the range I copy the measured velocities into the spreadsheet. It calculates spread, mean velocity, and standard deviation.

In my book simpler is better.

Offline Sixgun

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Gamma master chrony
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 04:44:40 AM »
I bought a Chrony, the red one, about 10 or 15 years ago.  I used it for about 3 years, just enough to see the need for it, when it up and charged me one day when I was shooting over it with my 30-30.  I didn't know how much damage a charging chrony could do to me but I didn't want to find out so I shot it right in the digital display.  I figured that had to be the same as shooting it between the eyes.  It flipped over backwards and was deader than a rock.  

Next time I went out to test a load, I started to regret shooting my chrony and decided that even if it had charged me, it didn't have a mouth or teeth and probably wouldn't have hurt me much if it had completed it's charge and attacked me.  

I went on the Chrony web sight and saw that they would take a trade in on a shot-up chrony for a new one, and it looked like a pretty good deal so I gave them a call.  The gal that answered the phone said that if I spent a little more I could get a Master Chrony and then next time I had one charge me, I could shoot the box, to stop the charge, but do no real damage the the thing's brain and all I would have to replace would be the box, which would be much cheaper.

I had her send the Master Chrony to me, a red one again, and it behaved real good for a few years.  I really liked the digital readout, right there on the bench with me where I could read it without taking out my field glasses between every shot.  One day I was shooting my 10 inch, scoped, Contender, in 22 Hornet when it happened again.  That dang ol Chrony just started gettin madder and madder, cause I was shooting a little low over its sensors and here it came, charging right at me.  Luckily, I had a round chambered in the Hornet so when it started its charge, I let fly and hit dead center.  The bullet penetrated, full length and stopped the chrony, dead in its tracks.  I called the lady at Chrony again and she sent me a new box for my master chrony for only about $20 plus shipping.  It was a red one too.  It gives individual velocities for each shot, High and Low for a string and also gives extreme Spread and Standard Deviation.  

I hope this chrony will not get upset and decide to charge me.  I am really attached to the thing and don't think I could do load development without it.

Sixgun
You can only hit the target if the barrel is pointed in the right direction when the bullet leaves the barrel.

Offline harpman

• Reloading Log Books
Gamma master chrony
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 09:51:59 AM »
Dam, I just got mine in today , the gamma, run 25 shots in 5 shot strings, prints as you go, if you want, which I did, then will print the stats after each group, It worked great right out of the box. I took the info, compared it to the FPS and velocity in The Lee reloading book, figured my optimum pressure for the lead BHN and adjusted my load, and it shrunk what I thought was my best 8mm load of 1.5 inches at 50 yards and made them a small one bullet diameter hole, I cant believe it ! this was iron sights too,I'm gonna redo all my loads now with this setup.I just hope mine never gets mad at me and pulls that charging crap, or I swear I will shoot it, just like you had to. daaaaang man, still cant get over that.

Offline jfruser

Whew! I Though It Was Just Me
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 08:32:59 AM »
...that caused Shooting Chronys to flip out and charge!

Last one that did that, I was able to wing 'im twice in the rods and dissuade the bugger from completing his charge.

Nowadays, I use wooden dowels to give me an indication of where to shoot over the Chrony.

Never turn your back on a Chrony with a fuly charged battery!

Offline calvon

• Contributor
Post subject: Gamma master chrony
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 05:49:41 PM »
Put a wrap of black electrician's tape around the mid point of the support rods. A dab of paint would work as well. Then, when you aim, be sure your line of sight is above the markers. Keeps your Chrony happy enough that it won't charge.

Offline harpman

• Reloading Log Books
Gamma master chrony
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 08:07:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice, I did tape it, After I sighted it in, I took the bolt out and sighted through the barrel just to make sure. thing is really handi, I love it.

Offline sundogg1911

Gamma master chrony
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 07:39:42 AM »
i bought the master beta (blue one) I thought it had a funny name  :)
I purchased it on ebay with remote, case, and indoor lights. It must have charged the previous owner, because 2 of the skyscreen rods had been  shot and replaced with all thread. Luckily the former owner only "winged" it!  :wink:  I never realized how helpfull it would be. I cant imagine reloading my hunting cast bullets without it, not to mention my IPSC Major power loads.