Author Topic: How many Asatru/Heathens in the house?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline TN.Frank

• Trade Count: (0)
How many Asatru/Heathens in the house?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2005, 03:07:58 AM »
Troth- a solemn pledge of fidelity, assurance, pledge - a binding commitment to do or give or refrain from something; "an assurance of help when needed".

Frith- an Old English word often (and usually over-simplistically) translated as "peace". In terms of Anglo-Saxon and post-Anglo-Saxon culture, however, the term has a considerably broader scope and meaning, and merits closer examination. Frith has a great deal to do not only with the state of peace but also with the nature of social relationships conducive to peace.

Moreover, it has strong associations with stability and security. The word friþgeard meaning "asylum, sanctuary" was used for sacrosanct areas. A friþgeard would then be any enclosed area given over to the worship of the gods.

Frith is inextricably related to the state of kinship, which is perhaps the strongest indicator of frith. In this respect, the word can be coterminous with another significant Anglo-Saxon root-word, sib (from which the word 'sibling' is derived) - indeed the two are frequently interchanged. In this context, frith goes further than expressing blood ties, and encompasses all the concomitant benefits and duties which kinship engenders.
\"THOR, ACCEPT OUR GIFTS; NOT AS FROM SLAVES, FOR WE HAVE NO MASTER, NOR AS AN APPEASEMENT, FOR WE STAND IN GOOD STEAD WITH YOU, BUT AS A SIGN OF OUR KINSHIP AND FELLOWSHIP!\"

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2005, 04:46:06 AM »
I'm a firm believer that the "taboo" subjects for discussion are: religion, politics, redheaded women & choice of computer platform. All are a matter of personal preference.
gino  :grin:

Offline TN.Frank

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2005, 06:07:36 AM »
How about this Greybeard. In stead of calling this the " Non Bible Study Religion Topics" why not call it "Non Bible Study Christian Topics", that'll make it clear that those of us who are Heathen/Pagan should not post here. Problem solved and we can still enjoy the rest of the forums here on the board.   :wink:
\"THOR, ACCEPT OUR GIFTS; NOT AS FROM SLAVES, FOR WE HAVE NO MASTER, NOR AS AN APPEASEMENT, FOR WE STAND IN GOOD STEAD WITH YOU, BUT AS A SIGN OF OUR KINSHIP AND FELLOWSHIP!\"

Offline jd45

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2005, 09:30:58 AM »
Bill, how does one go about getting "special access" to reply to posts on the  Bible Study forum, as I just today, found out? Thanx, JD45

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2005, 10:47:43 AM »
Thanks for the explaination.

What I'm leaning toward at this time is moving this particular topic to the Pot Bellied Stove Forum which is for any and all off topic discussion within this section of the Forums. I'm also leaning toward doing away with this particular Forum and moving the rest of the topics back into the original Bible Study Forum and just letting the religious discussion there go where it will within bounds of course. Rather than confining it to "Bible Study" only just let it flow freely on topics related to the Christian Bible and even as it relates to other faiths perhaps as long as the long range goal seems to be that of educating non Christians to Christian Faith.

Now don't assume I'm out to convert the world to Christianity cuz I'm really not. I think it would be a good outcome but that's not really my goal or job. Some would of course disagree with that even.

Again a hard and fast decision hasn't been reached and input is still being accepted in helping make the decision.

Bill, how does one go about getting "special access" to reply to posts on the Bible Study forum, as I just today, found out? Thanx, JD45

It's generally done by asking me in a PM to add you. Then you must read and agree to the rules as listed in the Announcement at top of the forum. That post in the announcement is expected to be your first post in that forum.

Since you've asked here tho I'll add you BUT I still expect your first post to be there expressing agreement to the rules.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 01:58:59 AM »
Before we are cut off from this discussion AND to get back to the discussion.
I am at a loss to understand how one who professed faith/agreement with the Holy Spirit that Christ Jesus is who He said he is, God eternal, none before, none after, can turn to a god who has no power to forgive sins as he is in subjection to the creator (whoever that may be or whoever created him in his own mind) and not a god that is worthy of adoration?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline gino

• Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2005, 03:17:56 AM »
I don't suppose that a discussion of "Flying Spaghetti Monsterism" would be well recieved here either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
gino  :)

Offline TN.Frank

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2005, 04:40:15 AM »
You base your religion(i.e. Christanity) from your Holy Book, the Bible. Of course it's going to say that your god is perfect and that you are a sinner and need him, otherwise why would you bother to worship him.  You can't prove or disprove ANY religon so to argue as to which one is "Right" and which ones are "Wrong" is a moot point.  If you thought the religion that you follow is wrong then wouldn't you stop following it?  I feel that the path that I've choosen for myself is the right one. I'll not force it off on anyone or tell them that their path is wrong because who am I to judge what's right or wrong for a person but my path is right for me and that's all that I care about.  If you won't respect my choice then shame on you because I respect your choice so why do you do less for me?

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2005, 11:42:24 AM »
It was a question, not a judgement. I would judge your god, and must. You are not given for me to judge.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Atomic Chicken

• Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2005, 12:16:33 PM »
Greetings William!

A question for you about this...

Quote from: williamlayton
It was a question, not a judgement. I would judge your god, and must. You are not given for me to judge.
Blessings

How is it possible that you can judge what a person believes without judging the person?  All that any man is is the sum total of his values (which are often in the form of beliefs)... if you strip away all of a man's values then what is left?  To say that you judge his God without judging him seems like somewhat of a paradox to me... am I missing something here?

Best wishes,
Bawko
Support your local chicken.

Offline TN.Frank

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2005, 01:52:18 PM »
OK, so let us judge the gods that I worship.  They don't ask me to get on my knees before them, they only ask that I respect them as Elder Kin. They don't condem me to an evil afterlife for not following them, only I can condem myself to that with improper action, I"m responsible for the condition of my afterlife, not my gods.  They don't ask me to be a slave to them. They're not jealous, I can worship as many or as few of them as I care to. They're there when I call on them, want proof, ok, here's proof.  We went to the NASCAR Truck race in Nashville a couple weeks ago.  A bad storm was blowing in and I ask Thor to hold off the storm so the race wouldn't be delayed and you know what, the storm went around us. I called on him and he came thru for me.  Odin, Thor, Frigga, Freya and Freyr et al have been worshipped for thousands of years in Europe and the surrounding areas, long before the desert god, El, became so popular. If you'd do a bit of research on your god, YHVH, EL, jehovah, whatever you want to call him, you'll see that he's not always been worshipped by as many people as worship him today.  
  To say that I am less because of the gods that I follow, that they don't measure up to your god, isn't being very humble and doesn't your god call you to be humble?  I really didn't want this thread to digress into a kicking contest about who's god is bigger or better. That's not my point here.  I simply wanted to see how many other here shared the same believes as I, that's all.  In Frith.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2005, 04:19:48 PM »
Let it go graybeard, doubt they wil upset any applecarts.
    This stuff crops every now and then...Druidism, the "superior" Aryan race etc, etc.

I believe a lot of it cropped up with the advent of " Dungeons and Dragons".......yawn...ZZZZZ
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2005, 03:37:39 AM »
Graybeard: If atheist deny or disbelieve the existance of god or gods
  and atheism is the doctrine or belief that there is no god..........Then
  that being said, i don`t see it  belonging in any  forum that hints of religion or god.  IMO.
   Those of that  posture should be able to post somewhere(?) as  GBOF
    certainly has a diverse following in forum content and views expressed.
   As long as they follow the guidelines of GBOF.
   Nothing in there comments as to there views interestes me at all.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline dave in pa.

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2005, 03:37:49 AM »
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free.." Jesus (John 8:32)

I know the truth for me, it has set me free, and it tells me that your god is not my god.

The Pagan religions have nothing to do with a "superior aryan race" or with "dungeons and dragons". Hitler and his cronies corrupted the Pagan beliefs to fit thier uses much the way that some groups corrupt the christian beliefs to suit thier own goals. Dungeons and dragons is a game, nothing more and nothing less, at is has no bearing on Pagan beliefs.

Druidism is just one of the many Pagan religions of the world just as the christians have many different groups/sects/paths.

I really think it's funny how christians make a joke of any religion or idea  that does not follow thier guideline of proper or correct.

How is it that you are the only "right" ones in the world? Because you have a book that tells you so? Asatru also has books, many of them written before your book. Your bible was written by mere mortals and not as events were happening, but later in history and then while adding thier own little slant here and there. Our books were also written by mere mortals but we know that and accept that and don't give it any more credence than that. Books are words/guidelines written by men and women for men and women to read and then decide what/if you want to believe it. You believe yours and we believe ours.

Christians like to say that thier religion is 2000 years old but it is fact that most of the world was still Pagan until the mid 1200s. Only the ruling classes had converted to christianity because it was just another way of setting themselves apart from the masses. The original definition of Pagan was... one who lives in the country, not a city dweller. This was because the cities were the first to convert and they felt that anyone living in the country was uncivilized and barbaric.

I know I'm wasting my time telling you this just as you are wasting your time telling me of your god. But at least I'm not telling you that you are wrong. I can't do that. You have the right to follow your own path just as I have the same right. I can coexist with you, I just wish that you could do the same with me.

Thank you for your time, dave
Every mighty oak was once a little nut who held its ground

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Avid Poster
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2005, 07:02:15 AM »
I'm a member of the First Church of Superior Firepower. :blaster:    :)

I also carry a Thor's hammer, but mine looks suspiciously like a Glock. :mrgreen:
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline Squirrelsaurus Rex

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2005, 07:11:06 AM »
Quote from: gino
I'm a firm believer that the "taboo" subjects for discussion are: religion, politics, redheaded women & choice of computer platform.

You forgot "best deer cartridge." :mrgreen:
Squooshy... the other white meat.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2005, 12:36:12 PM »
Dave;
  In case you have forgotten, I am the on that advised Graybeard to go ahead and let you ramble on...so what are you complaining about ?
  So keep on rambling...of course here, you're likely to be trout fishing in a dry brook...

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps some of us that have pleged our lives to Jesus..may have studied all those heathen/pagen publications plus perhaps Buddhism, and various other isms...
  Most simply after perhaps 20 or 30 years study, decided who the true God is...
  Thus, you're not likely to surprise anyone with the various hare-brained theories that Pagans, Druids, Wiccan or burning man devotees may bring up..
  Go ahead an rant..as far as I'm concerned..and quit whining...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline powderman

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »
IRONGLOW. There are definitely some sick puppies here, and I find that very sad. POWDERMAN.  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2005, 01:11:24 AM »
If one were to investigate, very thourghly, each claim to deity, look at the evidence, they would have need of coming to a conclusion/judgement about the claims and discussing those claims and proofs with the person presenting the claim is not judging the person it is judging the deity.
Very good run-on sentence there Bill, making a judgement of the sentence, if you will.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2005, 10:08:56 AM »
Wow This seems to be going on everywhere I go.
Dave, Frank, AC I am a Christian it is not my job to judge that is in the hands of God.
But if you know anything about the Christian Faith you know it is my job to befriend you to witness to you and pray for you.
Here is my witness to you. One of you told about a storm that your god diverted. I say my God made that storm and it went where he sent it.
I ask my God to save me many years ago I was 9 years old and he has been saving me every day since. My God is not about religion he is about Faith Hope and Love. And these things have no end in him. Even when I transgress against him he loves me and keeps me. All I have he has given to me.
But most important for you to know is he loves you too. And he will never stop loving you no matter how far you stray he is with you.  He is holding his hand out to now and I pray you reach out and take it.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356