Author Topic: How about 777 bp?  (Read 701 times)

Offline uz2busmc

• Trade Count: (0)
How about 777 bp?
« on: August 18, 2005, 09:33:45 AM »
The black powder situation in my area is fustrating, only things available is pyrodex and 777. I've already seen everyones oppinion on the pyrodex, is 777 equaly worthless when it comes to small cannons, .69 cal 12.5 inch barrel to be precise?

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
How about 777 bp?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 11:10:12 AM »
I've never used 777, but it's my understanding that it's just about the same as Pyrodex and the other BP subs.

Pyrodex is useless for blanks. It'll work behind a ball, but I don't like it.

It has a different sound (at least to me) than black powder. Different smoke, different smell.

I'm in the same situation, no one around here carries black powder. Or much else, for that matter.

I buy online. It can be a bit of a shock to lay out the cash for five pounds or more of BP, plus HAZMAT shipping, but when you break it down it's not that expensive. I actually come out cheaper buying Goex online and paying the HAZMAT fee than I would buying an equal amount of Pyrodex or other BP substitute locally.

PowderInc will sell lots as small as five pounds, and you can mix brands and granulations in your order.

Offline uz2busmc

How about 777 bp?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:46:13 AM »
Terry C.,
  Thanx for the response. I've actually found some where by me that sells goex, luckily.... but I had just bought 777- so I guess I will see how it works behind a ball. I did see the online place you had mentioned, the only prob with that is I don't really want all of that bp hanging around at one time, especially since it would take me awhile to get through it with such a small cannon. If the 777 happens to work for blank firing, I'll be sure to post results. Thanx again.

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:17:28 PM »
uz2busmc, have used 777 almost exclusivly in my 1" bore bp cannon. I shoot patched 1" steel balls, ahead 250-300 grains of 777. Actually, the bore is slightly over 1", the barrel is 28" long. I use musket caps and a cannon lock for ignition. I have been very satisfied with 777, the clean up is very easy. The only draw back is not quite as much white smoke, and it doesn't smell nearly as good as real BP.    Thanks,   Boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline Terry C.

How about 777 bp?
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 03:02:29 PM »
Have you tried to shoot blanks with 777?

If you have done so successfully, please share your impressions and your techniques.

I lovingly craft my own 1.125" lead balls and shoot them at every opportunity, but I shoot a LOT more blank loads than live rounds. If I could not shoot blanks, me, my friends, and my family would be missing out on a lot of fun.

Holidays especially. A casual backyard gathering is no place for dangerous projectiles. Even a blank salute charge at a social gathering requires strick attention to safety, but it can be done safely and sure adds to the occasion. Kids love to see a real cannon go bang! They want the noise, the fireball, and the thick stinky smoke.

But in fairness, 777 was not around when I was experimenting, so I have no experience (good or bad) with that product.

Offline Kansas Boomer

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 04:09:27 PM »
Have had zero luck using 777 for blank loads. I get pretty good smoke but very little noise. How about telling me what you use sucessfully for your blank loads.  What powder, how muck, and what kind of wadding.  Thanks,  Boomer
Former Naval person, proud to have a Grandson serving in the U. S. Army.
There are no atheists in a landing craft!!!!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
How about 777 bp?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »
In a 1 3/16" "Parrott" rifle, 250 gr Fg with one sheet of paper (8 1/2 x 11) wadded up and rammed tightly onto powder.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

How about 777 bp?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 04:38:32 PM »
I use Goex black powder.

I've never been able to get anything besides real black powder to work for blanks.

Blanks in my 1.156" bore are 500 grains (weighed) of FFg.

For live rounds I use 250 grains of Fg behind a ball that weighs 4¾ ounces cast from wheelweight lead. No patch.

No wadding is required for my blanks. All of my charges, whether they are for blanks or projectiles, are pre-packaged in aluminum foil tubes for safety. A bronze vent pick is used to pierce the foil packet prior to priming with a quill or fuse.

Offline uz2busmc

How about 777 bp?
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 08:34:06 AM »
Well, finally got the cannon from the UPS man, and I took it out to try the 777 as a blank load... and it did what everyone thought or knew it would do, a whole lot of nothing. I might try again with a piece of notebook paper snuggly packed. I'm not very enthused about trying to pack it to hard in there, but that is what it will probably take.  When I receive the balls I'll give it a shot to see how they do and post the results so that anyone interested in "small" cannons will know how the 777 works.